PDA

View Full Version : The Democratic Party Is Imploding Over The Abortion Issue

bobbyw24
11-11-2009, 06:47 AM
And now the Democratic party has returned to form, re-establishing its reputation as one big circular firing squad, incapable of being the majority party.

Witness the breakdown in healthcare.

POLITICO: The House health care bill wasn't supposed to become a referendum on abortion rights. But Rep. Bart Stupak, a Democrat from Michigan, reshaped the legislative landscape when he offered an amendment banning the sale of insurance policies covering abortion through the proposed national health insurance exchange—or to women who receive health care subsidies from the federal government.

Stupak's proposal, which would also bar any public health insurance plan from covering abortion procedures, passed the House on Saturday over objections from a majority of Democratic lawmakers, who voted against the amendment.

Supporters of abortion rights were outraged - especially House Democratic women, many of whom view Stupak's legislation as a betrayal of a key Democratic commitment.

"What they attempt to do here is just ban coverage, totally ban coverage, and that is a different mindset than maintaining current law," said Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) "There's people that don't want to respect that reasonable approach."

That's just one issue the Democrats now face. Over in the Senate, the party's old VP candidate is threatening to veto the whole thing if there's a public option involved, a situation that probably was inevitable ever since Lieberman was "primaried" by Ned Lamont back in 2006, and forced to become an independent.

Here's a moment from the debate over the Stupak abortion amendement.

http://www.businessinsider.com/democrats-form-circular-firing-squad-destroy-healthcare-reform-over-the-abortion-question-2009-11

Bucjason
11-11-2009, 07:08 AM
This is why any bill this large will be a complete cluster-fuck by the time it actually passes through.

"I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress. " - Ronald Reagan

Krugerrand
11-11-2009, 07:18 AM
I've tried to remind us many times that while the Democratic Party is a party committed to funneling money the abortion industry, many members of the party are pro-life. I know many democratic voters that voted for George Bush in 2000 because of his pro-life stand (but did not later because of his war policies).

The GOP is by far the party of dialog on the issue of abortion. The party would be far better positioned if it aggressively attacked the special treatments granted the abortion industry.

CapitalistRadical
11-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I think you're reading it incorrectly. In Congress, the Liberal Democrats lack the numerical power to crush the Conservatives (the GOP combined with the Democrats from conservative regions).

The real stupidity is that the Liberal Democrats don't have the libertarian sense to declare such personal activities off limits to legislation. By bringing medicine into the public sphere, they subject it to majority rule. I hope these fools are happy when a future religious right administration seizes control of their health-care. But will they learn? No, no just use it as a reason to raise more funds.

Icymudpuppy
11-11-2009, 09:07 PM
"I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the US Congress. " - Ronald Reagan

No animals shall sleep in beds WITH SHEETS.

Bucjason
11-12-2009, 07:09 AM
No animals shall sleep in beds WITH SHEETS.

hahahahaha!