PDA

View Full Version : Senator proposing Legislation to block Verizon Wireless ETF increase.

StrikerV
11-10-2009, 04:18 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/posttech/2009/11/senator_amy_klobuchar_d-minn_s.html

What would Ron Paul say?

bigronaldo
11-10-2009, 04:59 PM
My first inclination would be that it's none of the federal government's business. If a contract is made between the business (Verizon) and the consumer, then the contract must be enforced. If Verizon changes the terms of the contract with the consumer (mid contract), then the federal government can step in to protect the consumer.

However, it seems like the increase in fees will only apply to new customers. Verizon could charge $2500 to cancel for all I care. If they make that clear to the consumer before signing the contract, what does it matter to the federal government. Is it a ridiculous fee? Hell yeah. I would never sign it. But that's up to the consumer and business to decide. If enough consumers dislike it, they will go somewhere else, forcing Verizon to lower the charge again. Problem solved. Free market solution. No government intervention.