PDA

View Full Version : Should Churches be Taxed?

DamianTV
11-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Its a simple enough question. And in desperate times, desperate measures have to be taken. If we tax churches, we could probably get a lot of states out of the financial hole they are in, and quit giving tax havens to the greedy bastards that abuse the tax priviledges religion provides.

Dr.3D
11-10-2009, 01:26 PM
So you would tax charity to do that?
I guess a government monopoly on charity would be just great with some people.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Should anyone be taxed? No.

And yes, desperate measures do need to be taken. For example, eliminate DoEd., OSHA, DoT, DoEnergy, oh good lord too many to name. Abolish them all! While you're at it, abolish taxation; death, excise, sales, income, SS, etc. and tear down the IRS.

There, that will bring the road to prosperity and liberty back to this Nation. The role of the State in a minarchy is for the protection and preservation of liberty. Vis a vis, the whole reason there is a State at all is so it protects, and in doing so, doesn't seek to pertrude in our liberty, however the great misnomer is that the State must pertrude into our liberty, to protect that very same liberty!

Anyways, that's my unadultered "desperate time, desperate measure" spiel.

YumYum
11-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Jesus thinks so. We can read at Matthew the 22nd Chapter, verses 17 through 21where Jesus says to pay taxes.

The religous leaders approached Jesus and asked him: " 'Tell us, therefore, what do you think? Is it lawful to pay head tax to Caesar or not?' But Jesus, knowing their wickedness, said: 'Why do you put me to the test, hypocrites? Show me the head tax coin.' The brought him a denarius. And he said to them: 'Whose inscription is this?' They said: 'Caeser's.' Then he said to them: "Pay back, therefore, Caeser's things to Caeser, but God's things to God.' "

I would love to see Kenneth Copeland, Oral Roberts and Son, Pat Robertson and his dippy son (who sounds like Bill Clinton whispering), and also Benny Hinn, Cleofus Dollar and T.D. Piggs all have to pay a 90% tax.

DamianTV
11-10-2009, 02:09 PM
I just want to clarify something very briefly. If someone gets a handout (like a soup kitchen) or makes a donation to a church, thats fine. No tax on that for you. Im not saying you gave the church a buck, so you have to give $1.10 to cover the tax, what I am suggesting is to tax the people who get PAID by the church, and collect ANY revenue from church donations.

Personally, I am on the fence. If the church is taxed, they will also want government subsidization. It almost gives the churches too much power in the state, and I dont want government and state in the same room. I think there is too much of it already. "...in god we trust..." was NEVER part of the original Pledge of Allegiance. Then it got removed from schools because of the "in god" part.

Opposite side of the coin, people ABUSE the tax havens that churches provide. Not used the way they were intended, I mean in general that they abuse it as a way to launder money. Im also against income tax, but I am NOT against Corporate Income Tax. Tax the damn companies, not the people. Who is coming out on top? Companies, Insurance, Scams, and honest people that pay their bills and try to work hard at their job to earn their way get screwed. Churches are probably also doing very well, better than they should.

Its just that to me there seems to be something wrong in the financial balance that churches are getting, when every other industry is doing really bad.

Kludge
11-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Churches shouldn't be a business entity at all.

YumYum
11-10-2009, 02:18 PM
I just want to clarify something very briefly. If someone gets a handout (like a soup kitchen) or makes a donation to a church, thats fine. No tax on that for you. Im not saying you gave the church a buck, so you have to give $1.10 to cover the tax, what I am suggesting is to tax the people who get PAID by the church, and collect ANY revenue from church donations.

Personally, I am on the fence. If the church is taxed, they will also want government subsidization. It almost gives the churches too much power in the state, and I dont want government and state in the same room. I think there is too much of it already. "...in god we trust..." was NEVER part of the original Pledge of Allegiance. Then it got removed from schools because of the "in god" part.

Opposite side of the coin, people ABUSE the tax havens that churches provide. Not used the way they were intended, I mean in general that they abuse it as a way to launder money. Im also against income tax, but I am NOT against Corporate Income Tax. Tax the damn companies, not the people. Who is coming out on top? Companies, Insurance, Scams, and honest people that pay their bills and try to work hard at their job to earn their way get screwed. Churches are probably also doing very well, better than they should.

Its just that to me there seems to be something wrong in the financial balance that churches are getting, when every other industry is doing really bad.

I agree with everything you say. But I would even tax the soup lines. I wouldn't allow any deductions for the churches. If religion was taxed for being the racket business that it is, you would see a lot of these wealthy ministers go find other scams to rip people off.

dannno
11-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Jesus thinks so. We can read at Matthew the 22nd Chapter, verses 17 through 21where Jesus says to pay taxes.

The religous leaders approached Jesus and asked him: " 'Tell us, therefore, what do you think? Is it lawful to pay head tax to Caesar or not?' But Jesus, knowing their wickedness, said: 'Why do you put me to the test, hypocrites? Show me the head tax coin.' The brought him a denarius. And he said to them: 'Whose inscription is this?' They said: 'Caeser's.' Then he said to them: "Pay back, therefore, Caeser's things to Caeser, but God's things to God.' "

I would love to see Kenneth Copeland, Oral Roberts and Son, Pat Robertson and his dippy son (who sounds like Bill Clinton whispering), and also Benny Hinn, Cleofus Dollar and T.D. Piggs all have to pay a 90% tax.

I don't think Jesus supported Ceasar forcing people to use his currency.

MsDoodahs
11-10-2009, 02:27 PM
The less taxes the better.

:)

olehounddog
11-10-2009, 02:41 PM
If I gotta pay, then everybody pays.

tremendoustie
11-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I voted no because I don't think anyone should be taxed.

Dr.3D
11-10-2009, 02:51 PM

That's the same mind set that gets people convicted in court for tax evasion. If anything, the jury should never convict somebody of tax evasion, even if the jurors do pay taxes.

Only those who approve of being taxed should ever convict someone else of tax evasion.

tremendoustie
11-10-2009, 03:01 PM
That's the same mind set that gets people convicted in court for tax evasion. If anything, the jury should never convict somebody of tax evasion, even if the jurors do pay taxes.

Only those who approve of being taxed should ever convict someone else of tax evasion.

+1 to that

Deborah K
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM

This is a misinterpretation of the message being relayed. Jesus was being seen as a threat at this point in his ministry by the elders. Bear in mind that it was the San Hedron (Jewish leadership) that felt most threatened by his message and influence. They tried to entrap him by making him take a stand on whether Jews should have to pay taxes to Rome and its occupiers. They wanted him to oppose the tax so that they would have a reason to hand him over to Pilate (eventually they found another reason, since this one backfired). He fooled them by being ambiguous. His answer in no way implies that he believes, as you suggest, that Churches should be taxed.

LibertyEagle
11-10-2009, 04:29 PM

They should have to pay income taxes, as long as we are. But, not the church itself.

Are you saying pastors do not pay taxes????

Live_Free_Or_Die
11-10-2009, 04:32 PM
nt

olehounddog
11-10-2009, 04:52 PM

That was supposed to be joke but forgot the LOL.:D

If I don't pay, then nobody pays. Who's with me?

UnReconstructed
11-10-2009, 05:04 PM
no one should be taxed

MsDoodahs
11-10-2009, 05:18 PM

This is ^ funny, but it's also a dangerous mindset.

It represents the desire to use the state to bring down those with more than you to your own level.

A fairer and more equitable statement might be "if ANYBODY gets out of paying taxes, EVERYBODY gets out of paying taxes."

You know this song?

YouTube - Ten years after - I'd love to change to world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzrUqAtUcpU)

Okay, did you catch the GLARING mistake in the lyrics?

"Tax the rich....feed the poor.....

Til there are no _________ no more."

The songwriter chose "til there are no RICH no more."

Shouldn't an individual interested in social justice have chosen.... "Til there are no POOR no more."

???

Shows them to be more interested in bringing down others - more interested in using the state to harm those they envy (the rich) - than doing ANYTHING to assist the poor.

The poor are just pawns ...

Anyways, saying "If I gotta pay EVERYBODY has to pay" reminded me of that....

carry on...

LibertyEagle
11-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Huh?

Congress shall make no law..... ?

I fail to see how that should stop a pastor from being taxed on his personal income. Note, I did not say tax the church.

ClayTrainor
11-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Nobody and nothing should be taxed.

Danke
11-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I fail to see how that should stop a pastor from being taxed on his personal income. Note, I did not say tax the church.

Church is not to be regulated by the State. That is what he is referring to. With no Federal connection, it is exempt by law and that includes anyone's receipts from the church.

YumYum
11-10-2009, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=Deborah K;2407181] He fooled them by being ambiguous.[QUOTE]

It is all ambiguous.

Live_Free_Or_Die
11-10-2009, 06:09 PM
nt

MsDoodahs
11-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Nobody and nothing should be taxed.

Certainly not personal income. :)

Grimnir Wotansvolk
11-11-2009, 12:00 AM
No one should be taxed, for sure.

However...given how much the church is responsible for empowering the state, I can't say I wouldn't relish the thought of them getting it good and hard.

BuddyRey
11-11-2009, 12:08 AM
And nobody else should be either.

Dr.3D
11-11-2009, 12:27 AM
No one should be taxed, for sure.

However...given how much the church is responsible for empowering the state, I can't say I wouldn't relish the thought of them getting it good and hard.

As I recall, if the Church preaches the politics of the state, they lose their tax exempt status.