PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Celente: Overrated?

SelfTaught
11-09-2009, 10:03 AM
When I found Gerald Celented a little more than a year ago, I thought that he was a breath of fresh air. Now everytime he does an interview, he has nothing new to say. Just the same old stuff he's been rattling off for the last six months.

I've also find his insights not to be very useful. Yeah, he makes broad predictions that are mostly correct in the long term, but what can he offer the freedom movement in terms of swaying policy? I also have trouble with his prediction of a new third party, "Progressive Libertarian." Isn't that an oxymoron?

paulitics
11-09-2009, 10:27 AM
I think the guy is alright. He's been saying the same stuff, because largely the same underlying conditions hold true today as 6 months ago. He is not all that different than Peter Schiff or Ron Paul in his assesment.

I think he is saying the dollar is going to crash, and scenario a, b, or c, is likely to happen as a consequence. A new 3rd party is likely (which as recently history tells us also, this usually precedes a dictatorship, or becomes the actual vehicle for a dictatorship). Secession and revolution is also possible. I agree.

I don't agree with his assesment though that a 3rd party will become progressive libertarian. If a 3rd party evolves, it will likely be a trojan horse manufactured by wallstreet and someone like Sarah Palin will become the leader. I think it is possible that Ron Paul republicans and disenfranchised democrats, many of whom are Reagan democrats will form some sort of coalition. Where their new home will be remains to be seen. I'm seeing fema camps as a real possibility. lol.

Edit: Wait, I just thought of the reason why he may be saying "progressive libertarian". Could he be friends with Jesse Ventura, and be betting that he will be making a run?

Jesse Ventura is the closest thing to a progressive libertarian, and is somewhat of an oxymoron, but due to his sheer charisma, I could see him uniting progressives and libertarians in a strange way. However, honestly the guy seems way too noncomittal to want to run.

krazy kaju
11-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Celente is much too overrated. I think his "Collapse of '09" was supposed to happen a few months ago.

Epic
11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
He's a crank IMO.

He supports worthless economic theories of protectionism, etc.

I think some of his predictions have some validity though.

ctiger2
11-09-2009, 10:54 AM
If there is a problem with Gerald it's because we have access to so much media these days when he does his interviews with diff media companies audiences they'll all show up on the web and we all watch them and he basically says the same thing in them over and over. Peter Schiff is similar. There are certain topics they focus on and hammer to death. Events just don't change that fast so there's nothing really new to talk about.

As for the progressive libertarian party, Gerald says that's what they're calling it for lack of a better term. Gerald's message is a broad one which gives you an overall picture of what may happen and you can then take measures to protect yourself. Remember it's the Trends Research. Trends. He's not a stock picker.

Jeremy
11-09-2009, 10:55 AM
If there is a problem with Gerald it's because we have access to so much media these days when he does his interviews with diff media companies audiences they'll all show up on the web and we all watch them and he basically says the same thing in them over and over. Peter Schiff is similar. There are certain topics they focus on and hammer to death. Events just don't change that fast so there's nothing really new to talk about.

As for the progressive libertarian party, Gerald says that's what they're calling it for lack of a better term. Gerald's message is a broad one which gives you an overall picture of what may happen and you can then take measures to protect yourself. Remember it's the Trends Research. Trends. He's not a stock picker.

He's also not an entertainer. Maybe people here want him to be one.

SelfTaught
11-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Maybe it's the interviewers as well, since they tend to ask the same questions.

TCE
11-09-2009, 11:24 AM
He is extremely overrated. He said on Glenn Beck in February that the crash would come in March. Obviously that was incorrect. Then there is his "Psychology Today" from 1997 that was completely off. I take his word with a grain of Celtic Sea Salt.

krazy kaju
11-09-2009, 11:51 AM
He's also not an entertainer. Maybe people here want him to be one.

No, he definitely is an entertainer. No doubt about it. His spectacular predictions for 2009 have yet to come true.

Original_Intent
11-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I think he is pretty accurate, but he speaks in such generalities sometimes that it is easy for him to claim a "win".

Like he says that 2010 will be the year of third parties. So are we actually going to see some third party candidates get elected, or are they just going to have a much stronger showing than normal (the latter is a no-brainer, if you ask me) He has been predicting massive tax revolts for some time, it almost seems like he is trying to provoke something rather than predict. I like a LOT about him I think in general he has a good grasp of the "pulse of the nation", but again, his predictions are way too vague...I do take seriously his prediction that in Christmas 2012 people will be more worried about providing a good meal than about presents - that is pretty specific but we will see.

BenIsForRon
11-09-2009, 12:42 PM
The progressive-libertarian party idea is based on the assumption that we can put aside our differences on social policy to focus on issues like wars and bailouts.

Oyate
11-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I think Celente is fine. Sure, a lot of what he's saying is repetitive but hey, look at the Miesians and Austrian economists. They been saying the exact same thing for 50 years.

That Celente ISN'T on the bandwagon with both feet helps him spread the message farther than we're able to. His credibility isn't injured by some of our political affiliations.

Justinjj1
11-09-2009, 12:59 PM
He's about as accurate of a forecaster as Lyndon Larouche.

Romulus
11-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I enjoy his terminology at least.. but have to laugh when he talks about motorcycle gangs taking over. lol mad maxx much?

Oyate
11-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I enjoy his terminology at least.. but have to laugh when he talks about motorcycle gangs taking over. lol mad maxx much?

I know, that's soooooo 20th century. It's so obvious it will be armies of kids on skateboards.

BillyDkid
11-09-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't get this. Here we have one of the few people in the public eye who is telling the truth about things in general and helping to expose this corporate/government oligarchy that is ripping all of us off and warning about the dangers we are facing and people are talking about him being overrated? What is it about libertarians or those who generally believe in liberty that makes them so inclined to eat their own?

emazur
11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
He predicted the economic crisis of '08 and the tea party / anti-tax protests. He did say the economy would collapse in Spring '09, then pushed it to Fall '09 - it hasn't happened yet but he's not backing down - his timing has been wrong but I think he will be right. He said the price of gold would rise and he's been right. He predicted there would be a garden boom and he was right:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=7089125
He predicted the govt. would raise taxes This is being worked on and they are testing the waters:
YouTube - Watch out! Obama administration is looking to implement a Value Added Tax (VAT tax) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLiO622FeDg)

I'd say he's worth listening to

krazy kaju
11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
"Progressive Libertarian" sounds like Jacobin to me. I think that by that he means some kind of lower tax, anti-bank, anti-corporatism petit bourgeoisie party.

Dieseler
11-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Well now guys if there had not been so much intervention into the markets and bailing out of banks I believe the entire global economy would have collapsed by now.
Kind of hard to predict what someone will do when they play God with a fake economy. It's all an illusion.
Just a shell game and no one can predict whats going to happen nor when it will.