PDA

View Full Version : Note from Kent Snyder

LibertyEagle
10-02-2007, 01:12 PM
October 2, 2007

Our goal is to win.

We have 96 days, maybe less.

We have one shot.

Yesterday afternoon, the Ron Paul 2008 staff came together to hear that message. I shared it with them then. I share it with you now.

Our goal is to win. Ron Paul wins the Republican nomination. Ron Paul becomes our next president.

We have 96 days, maybe less. The first contest will be January 5 in Wyoming. But Iowa will change its date to be earlier than Wyoming and New Hampshire will do the same. Michigan will hold its primary on January 15. South Carolina and Nevada are set for January 19, followed by Florida on January 29.

We have one shot. The time is right for this Ron Paul Revolution; there are many reasons why. But this opportunity we now hold in our hands will never come again.

The future of our nation lies with us, and with the people who will soon join this freedom movement.

We have the answer: freedom. We have the man: Ron Paul. We have each other.

We have what we need to win.

Kent Snyder
Chairman
Ron Paul 2008
http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Copy of Message for Forwarding
http://blog.ronpaul2008.com/ron_paul_2008/2007/10/to-win.html

Givemelibertyor.....
10-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I'd really like to know what is going on in South Carolina. I'm about an hour from the sate line, and I'd do all that I can.

It's Fred country down there. Need to get the word out.

PrimarilyPaul
10-02-2007, 01:17 PM
I wish he would have said something about registering as a Republican and the importance of the primary.

LibertyEagle
10-02-2007, 01:23 PM
October 12th is the cutoff date for getting New Hampshire Democrats to change party affiliations, to be able to vote for Dr. Paul in the primary. Who knows what the dates are in Wyoming, Iowa, South Carolina and Nevada.

We badly need to be working to get ads of all types together. Newspaper, radio and TV. Not to mention the fact that there is an overriding need for all of us who can, to get to these states and start helping the Ron Paul supporters in those states go door-to-door campaigning.

Yet, here we are bitching and moaning about whether or not the campaign will accept matching funds. Some even announcing that they will no longer support Dr. Paul if he does. So much for loyalty, eh? Have those of you who say you are going to bail, all of a sudden become enamored with losing what's left of your country, National ID cards, surveillance cameras on every corner, the North American Union, our borders being overrun by illegal aliens, the loss of habeas corpus, the assaults on the 2nd amendment, our 1st amendment being relegated to 'Free speech zones', Executive Orders and Presidential Directives stating that the President can declare himself to be a dictator, martial law being discussed, eminent domain being used to steal your fellow Americans' property just because more tax revenue can be gained from someone else and on and on. Or did you just forget?

We're always telling others that it is time for them to wake up. Perhaps we need to take some of our own medicine.

We do not have much time left to pull this off. Dr. Paul is our chance. Who was it that said, either you are with us, or you are against us? It's time for you to decide.

Those who are going to stand behind Dr. Paul, we'd better get busy. The rest of you, well...

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" - Samuel Adams

Spirit of '76
10-02-2007, 01:24 PM
We have about 58 days to win West Virginia.

But we have no money, no real organization, and no help from campaign HQ.

Without those things, it ain't gonna happen, and the first state to report its nominee on Super Tuesday will be reporting that it's Mitt Romney.

LibertyEagle
10-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I'd really like to know what is going on in South Carolina. I'm about an hour from the sate line, and I'd do all that I can.

It's Fred country down there. Need to get the word out.

You could contact the Meetup group there.

LibertyEagle
10-02-2007, 01:27 PM
We have about 58 days to win West Virginia.

But we have no money, no real organization, and no help from campaign HQ.

Without those things, it ain't gonna happen, and the first state to report its nominee on Super Tuesday will be reporting that it's Mitt Romney.

Did Anita put on her seminar for your Meetup group? Just wondering.

katao
10-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Who knows what the dates are in Wyoming, Iowa, South Carolina and Nevada.
Wyoming is a different beast altogether. Jan 5th is the date they elect 12 of their 28 delegates. Only the 890 precinct committeemen and committeewomen can vote for those 12 delegates. The rest of the delegates don't get elected until their state convention on May 30th.

This is both good and bad news. The bad news is that they are likely establishment Republicans. The good news is that we primarily need to focus on only those 890 folks.

Spirit of '76
10-02-2007, 01:28 PM

Yeah, but how are we supposed to implement that stuff when all we have is a handful of people in about eight of the state's fifty-five counties and no money?

LibertyEagle
10-02-2007, 01:33 PM
The reality is that the campaign isn't going to be able to setup campaign headquarters in every state. I certainly don't know what the best thing to do is, other than the Meetup groups in the state self-organizing. Why can't that be done? Why does there need to be a campaign office there for that to happen?

Does it take a campaign office to go door-to-door handing out campaign literature?
Does it take a campaign office to go to every public event in your area and do likewise? Especially GUN SHOWS.
Does it take a campaign office to determine what papers in your state would be the best to run ads in, or put inserts into and ask for help in getting said ad constructed and the money to run it?
Does it take a campaign office to collect money to run grassroots TV and radio ads in your state?

Maybe I'm not understanding something.

LibertyEagle
10-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Yeah, but how are we supposed to implement that stuff when all we have is a handful of people in about eight of the state's fifty-five counties and no money?

Put together a plan. Put it out here. Say what you need to get it done and the help and the money will follow.

katao
10-02-2007, 01:40 PM

1. Prepare a comprehensive plan
2. Do as much as you can without funding
3. Wait for Oct. 15th for the FEC reports to come out, then contact every RP donor in your state, asking for their help and money
4. Execute the plan

Spirit of '76
10-02-2007, 01:44 PM

Yeah.

Spirit of '76
10-02-2007, 01:49 PM
1. Prepare a comprehensive plan
2. Do as much as you can without funding
3. Wait for Oct. 15th for the FEC reports to come out, then contact every RP donor in your state, asking for their help and money
4. Execute the plan

Waiting for October 15th will be too late. We have to get people registered for the online voting process by November 30th, and we have to get Ron Paul supporters registered to run as delegates by that same time.

Considering we have no known Ron Paul supporters in 47 of the state's 55 counties, and in most of those counties it's doubtful anyone has even heard of Ron Paul, I'd say we're screwed.

The county Republican Executive Committees will be choosing our state's nominee.

Pete
10-02-2007, 02:04 PM
The reality is that the campaign isn't going to be able to setup campaign headquarters in every state. I certainly don't know what the best thing to do is, other than the Meetup groups in the state self-organizing. Why can't that be done? Why does there need to be a campaign office there for that to happen?

Does it take a campaign office to go door-to-door handing out campaign literature?
Does it take a campaign office to go to every public event in your area and do likewise? Especially GUN SHOWS.
Does it take a campaign office to determine what papers in your state would be the best to run ads in, or put inserts into and ask for help in getting said ad constructed and the money to run it?
Does it take a campaign office to collect money to run grassroots TV and radio ads in your state?

You've really said it all, and each one of us should sign up with our own state meetup groups, at least.

Maybe there could be a forum section for soliciting help from out-of-staters? If I can, I'll go to early primary states to knock on doors.

specsaregood
10-02-2007, 02:07 PM

This is official and confirmed with a call to HQ and I got the "ok" to let people know.

Anita Andrews is no longer with the Ron Paul campaign.

Coordinators should now work with Debbie Hopper dhopper at ronpaul2008.com
For Coordination efforts and questions.

She also made it clear that we should focus on identifying Ron Paul Republican voters in our counties.

MsDoodahs
10-02-2007, 02:12 PM
:confused:

What?

After all the discord that was generated, she's now GONE?

Oh, good Lord.

And how much money did she pocket off of us?

Didn't she fly all over the place DISCOURAGING the grassroots?

Damn.

steph3n
10-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Tis true, but if there is going to be a discussion maybe take it to another thread?

specsaregood
10-02-2007, 02:14 PM
What?
Oh, good Lord.

My thoughts exactly. But I did confirm this.

We just need to focus on finding Republicans in OUR counties and getting them committed to vote for Ron Paul.

LibertyEagle
10-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah.

What am I not understanding then, Kent? Do you guys need help putting together a plan, or what?

I hear you that you don't have many Ron Paul supporters in your state, nor much money to do a whole lot. However, a lot of things can be done with very little money, but with one hell of a lot of leg action. If you schedule a weekend for major canvassing, you could ask the meetup groups from surrounding states to come help. Do you not think they would do it, or what? Others, can just setup tables at events, like gun shows, fairs, etc. If you're saying that you guys don't have the money to buy the Slim Jims and other stuff, I would imagine more than enough money could be raised to get you what you need.

I do think we discount this approach way too much and are starting to rely on the easier things, such as plane flyovers and ads. I don't know if it is because it takes less effort on our parts or if we think it is really more effective. It seems to me that all have a place though.

I suggested putting a plan in place, because you guys know best how to approach the folks in your state. I would imagine several different approaches will be needed. Do you agree? I know you are planning to run, or have run, one ad in a paper. Are there others that you think would provide a big bang for the buck? How about TV or radio ads? Hence, the plan.

What is needed? If those of you in that state will put your heads together and come up with a workable plan, I'll bet you that you will get the help to implement it.

LibertyEagle
10-02-2007, 02:19 PM

What?

Oh, good Lord.

And how much money did she pocket off of us?

Didn't she fly all over the place DISCOURAGING the grassroots?

Damn.

I find it very disheartening that she left. I personally cannot blame her though with the way she was treated. Where are all those who thought they knew better than her how to canvas precincts, etc.? I guess we can all look to YOU GUYS to make sure we win this election now. :mad:

Spirit of '76
10-02-2007, 02:25 PM
You've really said it all, and each one of us should sign up with our own state meetup groups, at least.

I'm sorry, but it's a fantasy.

Our state meetup groups -- all three of them -- have coordinated. And all five or six of the truly active supporters have been trying to organize the state, but none of us have any real campaign experience, and all of us have actual jobs to hold down and lives to lead. How the hell are we supposed to go into 47 rural mountain counties and find ~20 people (it differs by county) to pay money to run as Ron Paul delegates as part of an online voting process in a state where most people don't even have access to the Internet?

Still, I've getting actively involved in the WVGOP, going to their events and speaking out for Ron Paul. Of course, it's getting harder and harder to travel to these events; because of some unforeseen circumstances and the fact that I've put every spare dime I have into promoting Ron Paul, I'm pretty much broke.

I already made a fool of myself in front a sales rep for the state's largest business weekly, as I arranged to run an insert in their paper for $1,000 plus the cost of printing and delivery, but had to cancel because I could only drum up $167.67 (which I will be paying back) besides my own $200. So don't try to tell me that the money required to win this state is going to be forthcoming from the grassroots, because it ain't.

Now if somebody out there has any real ideas on how we can locate about 20 people willing to pay their own money to run as delegates in each of this state's counties, get them registered to do so, and then find even more people to register to vote for them in a brand new, online process that is confusing the hell out of everybody, then I'm all ears. By the way, we need enough delegates from each county to outweigh the GOP establishment types on the county Republican Executive Committees, who are automatic delegates (most of the ones from my county have already committed to vote for Mitt).

Oh, yeah. This all has to happen by November 30th.

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Wyoming is a different beast altogether. Jan 5th is the date they elect 12 of their 28 delegates. Only the 890 precinct committeemen and committeewomen can vote for those 12 delegates. The rest of the delegates don't get elected until their state convention on May 30th.

This is both good and bad news. The bad news is that they are likely establishment Republicans. The good news is that we primarily need to focus on only those 890 folks.

Katao,

Could you take the initiative to get the names, addresses and phone numbers of those 890 precinct committeemen and committeewomen? We would need to launch a contact program. ;)

Badger Paul
10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Katao, do you live in Wyoming? That doesn't make any sense at all. Only 890 people in the whole state get to participate in the state GOP county conventions and that's it? So if I'm just ordinary average Republican voter and I want to attend these conventions to have my voice heard on who I think my party's presidential nominee should I can't do so because I'm not one of the 890 precinct committee men or women?

What's up with that? Talk about a closed system. No wonder this is a dying party if they're doing this kind convoluted crap in Wyoming and West Virginia.

katao
10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Katao,

Could you take the initiative to get the names, addresses and phone numbers of those 890 precinct committeemen and committeewomen? We would need to launch a contact program. ;)

Absolutely, I am working on it. I am currently contacting Jeff Greenspan, the Wyoming coordinator, to make sure we have that contact information and to start the contact program with the precinct committeemen and committeewomen.

katao
10-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Katao, do you live in Wyoming? That doesn't make any sense at all. Only 890 people in the whole state get to participate in the state GOP county conventions and that's it? So if I'm just ordinary average Republican voter and I want to attend these conventions to have my voice heard on who I think my party's presidential nominee should I can't do so because I'm not one of the 890 precinct committee men or women?

What's up with that? Talk about a closed system. No wonder this is a dying party if they're doing this kind convoluted crap in Wyoming and West Virginia.

I am in Utah, next door. Yes, the system there is horrible (although not quite so bad as it first sounds considering how small Wyoming's population is).

Badger Paul
10-02-2007, 02:48 PM
I just read the rules online. I mean, here's a state that's solidly Republican and its basically telling its voters that only the select few will have any say on who the candidate of the party is going to be and if you're not one of the select few, well tough!

I was under the impression these would be like caucuses were people could show up and elected delegates based presidential peference. Oh well, my mistake.

Sure go out and get the list names you need and see if you can convince any of them to vote for RP, by all means do so. Send them Ron Paul's DVD, informational packets, the works. Write letters to them. Hopefully if he breaks out in the next two months he can turn some of their heads. But I can't help but but hate the fact this state leapfrogged over everyone else and but will only allow 980 people to vote for presidential nominees.

Oh well, at least the RP campaign won't have to spend money advertising for 980 votes.

Okay, new campaign focus: Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina. Got to do well in these four. All or nothing

LarryWhite
10-02-2007, 03:05 PM
To be blunt, our biggest hurdle is voter roll lists. The county clerks charge a penny a name, to get the entire state voter roll list would take close to $15,000.

LarryWhite
10-02-2007, 03:08 PM
My focus right now is just on Kanawha and Putnam counties in WV. If we get those, and that's a big IF, and we pick up Wood or Harrison, we'll have over 100 delegates to go to the state convention. It's not enough to win or even get past the first round, but it's enough to have a presence.

Badger Paul
10-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Spirit, may I make a suggestion:

Have the meetup.com groups spend October going the college campuses in West Virginia: WVU, Marshall, West Virginia State, etc. This is where you'll find people who will be most interested in RP's message and who have internet access. See if there are Ron Paul supporters at these places. If so, organize and coordinate with them. See if their members can recurit their friends back in their home counties across the state. Build you're support that way. What do you have to lose?

If you like, I can put out your call for donations to your insert once again to all the Yahoo.com group I'm affiliated. Just give me a web address they can donate to, maybe you'll pick up some donations here or there.

I feel for you because I think you got stuck with a crappy situation just like Wyoming. If you don't want to do a primary then do a caucus then but to come up with some silly method to try and attract attention (which it hasn't) which nobody seems to understand only to hide the fact only a bunch of insiders who know the game are going to pick the nominee anyway is pretty sad and confirms my opinion that the local GOPs aren't interested in voter outreach anymore. Why do this when a primary or caucus is so much simpler? Hell, have a mail in primary like Oregon for crying out loud. An internet nominating process in state hardly wired for internet? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The Democrats must be chuckling at this.

Do worry about not knowing what to do. None of us have any clue either. We're just going about this at the seat of our pants and having fun with it. Don't be afraid to have fun with it as well. :)

Go Ron!

thehittgirl
10-02-2007, 03:40 PM
We have a similar situation in our area. Not the whole state as a couple of areas are working very hard, but in my area, there are only a few real workers compared to the numbers in the meetup groups. And the money? Boy it has been tough. But...be keep the word grassroots in mind...I have to remind myself of that all the time. Things can be done very inexpensively.

I read ahead and saw someone said to go to functions, and pass out literature. We have pretty much been doing this. One time we had a box out for donations and raised 305.00. The more you get his name out, the more successful you will be and be able to raise funds. Don't get discouraged, just you and the workers keep pressing on and keep focused. We do a lot of printing on our own. I've started making signs out of recycled sign cardboard that I painted over. I got the stencils for 1.76, and spray paint from wal mart for .96. Our sign guy goes and gets cardboard from store dumpsters. We don't have a regular fund per say, but we share our materials and do a lot of trading.

Dave
10-02-2007, 03:47 PM
October 12th is the cutoff date for getting New Hampshire Democrats to change party affiliations, to be able to vote for Dr. Paul in the primary. Who knows what the dates are in Wyoming, Iowa, South Carolina and Nevada.

In Iowa you can register as a Republican as you come in the door to the caucus. It is FAR better to get registered beforehand, however, for two reasons:

In case the rules somehow change between now and the caucus. This is not likely but why take chances?
You look like an amateur if you're registering on caucus night. We don't want to look like clueless party-crashers. This won't help to sway the undecideds.

Badger Paul
10-02-2007, 04:04 PM
How goes it in Iowa Dave? Haven't heard from you in a while? I see RP is at 5% there now according to Newsweek. Keep him growing...

LibertyEagle
10-02-2007, 05:15 PM
I already made a fool of myself in front a sales rep for the state's largest business weekly, as I arranged to run an insert in their paper for $1,000 plus the cost of printing and delivery, but had to cancel because I could only drum up $167.67 (which I will be paying back) besides my own $200. So don't try to tell me that the money required to win this state is going to be forthcoming from the grassroots, because it ain't.

Whoa. I thought you had brought in enough. Why didn't you keep pushing it? That's the only way things get funded around here. You have to keep bumping the thread over and over, and have others help you do that. That is exactly how we got Lord Xar's ads funded, in addition to putting out the request on The Daily Paul.

Don't give up. Your ad was good. I, for one, will donate some more to get you there. I'm sure others will also. C'mon. Let's give it another try. Ok?

bbachtung
10-02-2007, 05:26 PM
West Virginia Conservatives Online (http://www.conservatives.org/) has some pretty good county-by-county resources:

http://www.conservatives.org/counties/index.html