PDA

View Full Version : Ceremony marks commission of USS New York

Liberty Star
11-08-2009, 04:58 PM
This is magnificent sight:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/ceremony-marks-commission-of-uss-new-york-1.1572431

9/11 effected all America in many ways, I would have picked a name like USS Freedom or USS Liberty but still it's a powerful symbol of Amrican resolve after a national tragedy that changed America.

Anti Federalist
11-08-2009, 05:21 PM
November 2, 2009
Ploughshares into Swords
Posted by Ryan W. McMaken on November 2, 2009 07:48 PM
David, a friend of mine sent me the story a while back when they were sitll building the ship and noted that “this is truly a case of beating ploughshares into swords.”

The World Trade Center was once a center of commerce and industry in which people engaged in free exchange of goods and worked to make the world a more prosperous and decent place. At the World Trade Center, the peace of the free market improved the lives of people daily. It was a giant ploughshare. Then one day a bunch of murderers destroyed the building and the people inside it, and the government in power at the time beat the steel from the building into a giant sword. Steel from the building can now be used to fight, not the murderers, all of whom are dead, but people completely unrelated to the event. How proud we can all be that in some future pointless war, women and children, many of whom hadn’t even yet been born when the people in the World Trade Center were murdered, will be incinerated by the weapons on that ship.

With the ploughshares, of course, we’re referring to the book of Isaiah in which the prophet (according to the Christians, at least) describes Jesus as the Prince of Peace. I know the Conservatives (who claim to be supporters of “Christian values”) thought it was just hilarious when Ron Paul used that title for Christ during the presidential campaign. But hey, I’m sure Jesus, and His Mother too, will just love it the first time some rocket from that ship rips out someone’s entrails. As he or she dies there choking on his or her own blood, the angels in heaven will undoubtedly appear in a great chorus over the ship proclaiming “Glory to God in the highest. And on earth, war. Ill will to men.”

UPDATE and more…

One reader writes that the steel-turned-ship situation “strikes right at the Parade Magazine/Readers Digest/Power-of-Pride Bumper Sticker emotional adolescence that has been so carefully cultivated.”

So true. You know that midwestern grandmas and the unquestioning and obedient taxpaying suckers of middle America tear up just a little bit when they read about this. It’s making the rounds as an “inspirational” email as I write this I’m sure. This story surely has or will make an appearance in Parade Magazine and the readers can weep a little after reading the story, and right before they purchase the latest Norman Rockwell collectible plate off the back page.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/41954.html

Liberty Star
11-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Very thought provoking article, it is good read.

runningdiz
11-08-2009, 06:02 PM
i would call this anything but a "magnificent sight". More like a magnificent waste of steel. The steel should have gone to build something economically beneficial. Not something to provoke more terrorist attacks.

Your right though, calling it the USS Freedom or USS Liberty would have made more sense. Would fit in with such names as The Patriot Act.

Liberty Star
11-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Your right though, calling it the USS Freedom or USS Liberty would have made more sense. Would fit in with such names as The Patriot Act.

At least we partially agree.

JK/SEA
11-08-2009, 07:40 PM
When i first saw and heard this report, i thought a good name for this ship would be the U.S.S Inside Job. Salute.

TinCanToNA
11-08-2009, 09:00 PM
November 2, 2009
Ploughshares into Swords
Posted by Ryan W. McMaken on November 2, 2009 07:48 PM
David, a friend of mine sent me the story a while back when they were sitll building the ship and noted that “this is truly a case of beating ploughshares into swords.”

The World Trade Center was once a center of commerce and industry in which people engaged in free exchange of goods and worked to make the world a more prosperous and decent place. At the World Trade Center, the peace of the free market improved the lives of people daily. It was a giant ploughshare. Then one day a bunch of murderers destroyed the building and the people inside it, and the government in power at the time beat the steel from the building into a giant sword. Steel from the building can now be used to fight, not the murderers, all of whom are dead, but people completely unrelated to the event. How proud we can all be that in some future pointless war, women and children, many of whom hadn’t even yet been born when the people in the World Trade Center were murdered, will be incinerated by the weapons on that ship.

With the ploughshares, of course, we’re referring to the book of Isaiah in which the prophet (according to the Christians, at least) describes Jesus as the Prince of Peace. I know the Conservatives (who claim to be supporters of “Christian values”) thought it was just hilarious when Ron Paul used that title for Christ during the presidential campaign. But hey, I’m sure Jesus, and His Mother too, will just love it the first time some rocket from that ship rips out someone’s entrails. As he or she dies there choking on his or her own blood, the angels in heaven will undoubtedly appear in a great chorus over the ship proclaiming “Glory to God in the highest. And on earth, war. Ill will to men.”

UPDATE and more…

One reader writes that the steel-turned-ship situation “strikes right at the Parade Magazine/Readers Digest/Power-of-Pride Bumper Sticker emotional adolescence that has been so carefully cultivated.”

So true. You know that midwestern grandmas and the unquestioning and obedient taxpaying suckers of middle America tear up just a little bit when they read about this. It’s making the rounds as an “inspirational” email as I write this I’m sure. This story surely has or will make an appearance in Parade Magazine and the readers can weep a little after reading the story, and right before they purchase the latest Norman Rockwell collectible plate off the back page.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/41954.html
Speaking of emotional garbage... that article was a fine example.

Anti Federalist
11-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Speaking of emotional garbage... that article was a fine example.

Oh?

How so?

sofia
11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
i would call this anything but a "magnificent sight". More like a magnificent waste of steel. The steel should have gone to build something economically beneficial. Not something to provoke more terrorist attacks.

no...the steel should have been analyzed for traces of explosives...

those towers were IMPLODED

sofia
11-08-2009, 09:13 PM
When i first saw and heard this report, i thought a good name for this ship would be the U.S.S Inside Job. Salute.

lol

or the USS Pull It

JK/SEA
11-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Another thing. How do we really know for sure steel from those bldgs. was REALLY used?...because someone said so?...i'm to the point i don't believe anything anymore that comes from any gov. source.

non issue.

Hey, when does American Idol start?