PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama calls for calm as Muslim community fears backlash over Fort Hood killing

BlackTerrel
11-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Every time something like this happens we are told to chill out, don't do anything crazy now, Muslims are good people, this is one random lunatic etc... Which is all well and good but hello - Americans are not crazy psychopaths holding torches and pitch forks ready to march on Mosques.

There are far more bias crimes against blacks, whites, Hispanics, Jews, and gays than there are against Muslims. This was true even shortly after 9/11. Yet every time something like this happens we have this reminder to chill out. Even on the thread here on this forum so many posters were worried about the "inevitable backlash". Here's the thing - Americans are rational people, they're not prone to mass in large numbers and take it out on one group of people.

Two days have passed and no one has done anything in retaliation - so why does Obama need to step in and "calm racial tensions"?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1225944/Barack-Obama-calls-calm-Muslim-community-voices-fears-Fort-Hood-killings-backlash.html

Barack Obama has tried to calm racial tensions in the US after the Muslim community voiced fears it would face a backlash from the Fort Hood killings.

The president's intervention follows two days after Muslim army psychiatrist Major Nidal Malik Hasan opened fire on colleagues at the military base in Texas, killing 13 and wounding 30...

...Mr Obama used his weekly radio and internet address to praise the heroism of those who ended Hasan's rampage and to reassure the nation of the quality of their training.

He spoke of their diversity in a move to calm any anti-Muslim backlash to the killings. Major Hasan was reported to have shouted 'Allahu Akbar', Arabic for 'God is Great', as he jumped on a desk and opened fire...

...Hasan attended mosque daily and had an "Allah is Love" bumper sticker on his car. It has emerged he had posted online messages about suicide bombers and violence and was struggling with his impending deployment to Afghanistan.

The incident has prompted Muslim groups to issue statements condemning the killings as un-Islamic and praising the service of Muslim Americans in the US military.

Security was stepped up on Friday at mosques across the country. Increased police patrols were brought in and officers stood watch outside some mosques for the main weekly prayers.

noxagol
11-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Americans are not crazy psychopaths holding torches and pitch forks ready to march on Mosques.

I'm inclined to think they are.

Dieseler
11-08-2009, 12:37 AM
I dunno man.

YouTube - REVOLUTION MUSLIM STREET DAWAH: 06-11-2009 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhHYiWCm8Gs&feature=player_embedded)

Dieseler
11-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Those people are lunatics, they were outside a mosque of peaceful Muslim worshipers. CNN did a report on it.

Anyways the anti-Muslim rhetoric Obama could be referring to is a former general commentaror on Fox News calling Muslims in the military a "protected species."

Those peaceful Muslim worshipers should have put a foot in their asses eh?

Dieseler
11-08-2009, 01:16 AM
No but they should vocally condemn them, and they have.

The foot would get more exposure.
and leave a more lasting impression.

revolutionisnow
11-08-2009, 01:17 AM
There are far more bias crimes against blacks, whites, Hispanics, Jews, and gays than there are against Muslims. [/url]

False. What you see on your mainstream news reports is not necessarily what is going on in real life.

http://makkah.wordpress.com/2007/02/23/islamophobia-101-episode-12-hate-crimes-against-mosques-and-muslims-on-the-rise-post-9-11/

http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/print/mosques_in_us_that_have_experienced_violent_or_rac ist_incidents1/

There is quite the double standard, why are Muslims forced to condemn every bad apple? There was a black serial killer caught in Cleveland a few days ago, why has the NAACP not condemned them yet? Did the ADL condemn Madoff?

0zzy
11-08-2009, 01:18 AM
Those people are lunatics, they were outside a mosque of peaceful Muslim worshipers. CNN did a report on it.

Anyways the anti-Muslim rhetoric Obama could be referring to is a former general commentaror on Fox News calling Muslims in the military a "protected species."

Well, maybe they are. He made a speech on foreign policy in a health class and the teacher didn't stop him cause he wanted to be politically corrected? That's bs right there.

And another on the defense of suicide bombing? Really?

Bman
11-08-2009, 01:20 AM
There is quite the double standard, why are Muslims forced to condemn every bad apple? There was a black serial killer caught in Cleveland a few days ago, why has the NAACP not condemned them yet? Did the ADL condemn Madoff?

I don't quite agree with this comment. I don't think the black serial killer, killed under the flag of being black.

angelatc
11-08-2009, 01:20 AM

You know what slays me? For freaking years, the neocons have chattered about the lack of condemnation from prominent Muslims. THis time, the Muslims communities couldn't condemn it quick enough, and the 'cons sniffed. "Not good enough."

RideTheDirt
11-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Every time something like this happens we are told to chill out, don't do anything crazy now, Muslims are good people, this is one random lunatic etc... Which is all well and good but hello - Americans are not crazy psychopaths holding torches and pitch forks ready to march on Mosques.

There are far more bias crimes against blacks, whites, Hispanics, Jews, and gays than there are against Muslims. This was true even shortly after 9/11. Yet every time something like this happens we have this reminder to chill out. Even on the thread here on this forum so many posters were worried about the "inevitable backlash". Here's the thing - Americans are rational people, they're not prone to mass in large numbers and take it out on one group of people.

Two days have passed and no one has done anything in retaliation - so why does Obama need to step in and "calm racial tensions"?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1225944/Barack-Obama-calls-calm-Muslim-community-voices-fears-Fort-Hood-killings-backlash.html
The purpose is bolded. There is a very small chance of American going batshit over this. Now he can claim it is because he "called for calm"

maqsur
11-08-2009, 08:42 AM
No group should have to apologize or condemn the actions of a nut or nuts. Only the shooter is responsible for his actions, not anyone or anything else.

Since 9/11 Muslims are being told they didn't condemn enough. Well, not all Muslims were responsible for 9/11, only the ones who were supposedly in the planes are. They're dead.

BlackTerrel
11-08-2009, 03:18 PM
False. What you see on your mainstream news reports is not necessarily what is going on in real life.

http://makkah.wordpress.com/2007/02/23/islamophobia-101-episode-12-hate-crimes-against-mosques-and-muslims-on-the-rise-post-9-11/

http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/print/mosques_in_us_that_have_experienced_violent_or_rac ist_incidents1/

Your source claims a number of hate crimes against Muslims. I don't dispute that.

I am saying there are considerably more hate crimes against blacks, whites, Hispanics, Jews, and gays. Those are the statistics.

ScoutsHonor
11-08-2009, 03:24 PM

[/URL][url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1225944/Barack-Obama-calls-calm-Muslim-community-voices-fears-Fort-Hood-killings-backlash.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1225944/Barack-Obama-calls-calm-Muslim-community-voices-fears-Fort-Hood-killings-backlash.html)

Great post! It's inspiring to hear a rational voice. :)

Liberty Star
11-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Well Obama had a muslim arab father, so it's not that surprising that he would be extra careful pre-emptively.

The foot would get more exposure.
and leave a more lasting impression.

That is true but that may have been violation of law and could have sparked racial tensions between radical muslim and radical jewish groups in NY :

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=218147

One thing we all can agree on is that these are badly damaged creatures and divine rejects.

Liberty Star
11-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I had heard rumor during Obama-Clinton primary heats that his father was an African arab muslim, I will try to consult with google to confirm, this is just quick query:

Rush Limbaugh says Obama is "Arab"

Brendan NyhanIs Obama's father from the part of North Africa populated by Arabs? -- If so, is there evidence that he was nevertheless black, rather than Arab? ...
www.brendan-nyhan.com/blog/2008/.../rush-limbaugh-s.html

We do need many more arabs in Congress IMO to fix foreign policy mess, but him being arab could be a good thing also probably as far as treatment factor goes.

revolutionisnow
11-08-2009, 06:15 PM
I had heard rumor during Obama-Clinton primary heats that his father was an African arab muslim, I will try to consult with google to confirm, this is just quick query:

We do need many more arabs in Congress IMO to fix foreign policy mess, but him being arab could be a good thing also probably as far as treatment factor goes.

Most people resent fathers that they never knew.

Promontorium
11-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Being Muslim doesn't equal being Arab. Being Arab doesnt equal being Muslim. Silly people.

Also, I agree that Obama was just saying it, because he could later take credit for the ensuing peace.

And I totally disagree with the unfounded claim that violence is impending against Muslims (or anyone I suppose) because of this tragedy. Spoiler Alert: protesting isn't violence.

This is part of the overall anti-individualist thinking that runs this planet.

One man did this crime.

The collectivists immediately ask "What can we do to prevent anyone from doing it again?" followed by "Who do we blame, other than the actual criminal?"

These people do not think in terms of individual responsibility, rather government responsibility to make laws punishing people and restricting their liberty until this can't happen again. And they do not look to individual blame, they take that blame, and shoot it at whatever group they can stick this tragedy with.

The liberal collectivists made no effort blaming the US military, and Bush.

The religious collectivists made no effort blaming radical Islam.

How about it was the shooters fault, not the gun company, not the last president, not the job he held, not religion he favored, not the family he rose from, not the skin he toned, not the nation his ancestors came from, not rank, not the branch, not the war, not the bullets, not the neighbors.

It was Nidal Hassan. And they got him. Justice will continue in the courts.

BlackTerrel
11-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Being Muslim doesn't equal being Arab. Being Arab doesnt equal being Muslim. Silly people.

Common sense really. There are more Christian Arabs than Muslim Arabs in this country.

How about it was the shooters fault, not the gun company, not the last president, not the job he held, not religion he favored, not the family he rose from, not the skin he toned, not the nation his ancestors came from, not rank, not the branch, not the war, not the bullets, not the neighbors.

It was Nidal Hassan. And they got him. Justice will continue in the courts.

Stop with all the common sense.

Dianne
11-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Obama can talk to them as brothers... after all he is muslim himself. He needs to come out and admit it, rather than stay in the shadows which is offending the muslim community. He can communicate with them in his native tongue.. Watch the movie imitation of life... fabulous movie, and you'll get my point.

BlackTerrel
11-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Obama can talk to them as brothers... after all he is muslim himself. He needs to come out and admit it, rather than stay in the shadows which is offending the muslim community. He can communicate with them in his native tongue.. Watch the movie imitation of life... fabulous movie, and you'll get my point.

Seriously? Obama is a Muslim?

#1: False

#2: A bit off topic no?

Dieseler
11-09-2009, 12:30 AM
I believe he is an atheist.

BlackTerrel
11-09-2009, 01:34 AM
I believe he is an atheist.

I generally take peoples word for it when it comes to religion. He says he is a Christian then he is a Christian.

Dieseler
11-09-2009, 01:37 AM
I generally take peoples word for it when it comes to religion. He says he is a Christian then he is a Christian.

Maybe he just sucks at Christianity as I do.
Either way he sure as Hell sucks.