PDA

View Full Version : Florida's Crist may be front runner in Senate race, but it doesn't feel like

bobbyw24
11-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Florida's Crist may be front runner in Senate race, but it doesn't feel like

By Beth Reinhard | Miami Herald

MIAMI — The press release from the Florida Democratic Party called Thursday "Charlie Crist's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.''

http://www.pokerface.com/images/alb_b_05.jpg

The description also applied to Wednesday. And Tuesday. And Monday. And to the week before that. And to the entire month of October.

Let's be clear: The governor/would-be U.S. senator from Florida known for his groundbreaking fundraising is stuck in a record-shattering slump.

The only way things could get worse is if Gennifer Flowers, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright and the guy who videotaped former Virginia Sen. George Allen making an ethnic slur all showed up at his doorstep in Tallahassee.

It's hard to feel sorry for someone who has all of the powers of incumbency, a small fortune in campaign donations and a double-digit lead in the polls over his Senate rival, former House Speaker Marco Rubio of Miami. Especially when so many of Crist's problems are of his own making.

Like the other night on CNN, when he made the astounding claim that he didn't "endorse'' President Barack Obama's economic stimulus package. Or a couple of weeks ago when he told reporters that he didn't know Obama was visiting his own state. At this point, the only way for Crist to truly distance himself from the president would be to shout ``You lie!'' at the next Rose Garden ceremony. Or to join the "birther'' movement and publicly question the president's American citizenship.

Crist will do almost anything to erase the endless television footage of him and the president touting the administration's stimulus plan while sharing a stage and a smile in Fort Myers.

Since then, the governor has endured an unbelievable string of setbacks. The straw polls he lost at about a dozen local Republican party meetings around the state. The slaps in the face from conservative interest groups like The Cato Institute, the Club for Growth and the Family Research Council. And this latest indignity: His mother's book club in St. Petersburg unanimously voted to read Rubio's 100 Innovative Ideas for Florida's Future in the month of November.

To make matters worse, three of Crist's top campaign fundraisers -- Palm

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/78512.html

bobbyw24
11-07-2009, 08:14 AM
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thegaggle/archive/2009/11/04/all-good-news-for-marco-rubio-not-exactly.aspx

MsDoodahs
11-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Interesting...

On the sales tax issue, sales tax is easier to avoid than property tax, isn't it?

If so, then switching from property tax to sales tax is a good thing, for those in favor of lower taxes. Rubio can spin it that way...

What's that thing about mobile homes in Florida? If the wheels are on, it's considered a vehicle and you don't pay property taxes on it? Or something like that...it's a "loophole" of some sort, IIRC... So, Rubio can take the spin in that direction.

Either way, I don't see the tax issue as the kind of problem Campo-Flores seems to.

bobbyw24
11-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Mobile homes on rented land are like cars and the property taxes on them are very low. And debtors in Chapter 13 bankruptcies can cram down mobile home debts to current market value of mobile home.

MsDoodahs
11-07-2009, 08:33 AM
And Florida has a lot of those?

Because if that is the case, then Rubio can spin it as "a sales tax will capture those who are avoiding taxation by way of mobile homes on rented land."

Not saying spinning it either way is RIGHT, just saying the ability TO spin something like that isn't going to be a campaign killer, I don't think...

I don't know a thing about Rubio - but I know I don't like Crist worth a damn, lol..

bobbyw24
11-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Oh yeah