PDA

View Full Version : Dirtiest presidential campaigns

Bradley in DC
10-02-2007, 12:36 PM
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/10/02/top_five_dirtiest_presidential_campaigns.html

Top Five Dirtiest Presidential Campaigns

From Anything for a Vote by Joseph Cummings, the top five "dirtiest" presidential campaigns of all time:

5. 1972: Richard Nixon vs. George McGovern -- The Republican incumbent Nixon brought out all the heavy guns here -- dirty tricks to sow divisiveness among Democratic incumbents in the primaries, race-baiting, IRS intimidation of Democratic big wigs, the Enemies List, press manipulation, and, of course, the Watergate burglary by the Special Investigations Unit, aka "the Plumbers."

4. 1800: Thomas Jefferson vs. John Adams -- Wayback in only the third election ever held in this country, Thomas Jefferson of the Republicans and John Adams of the Federalists went at it tooth and nail, with Republicans hiring hack writers to attack the incumbent Adams as a "hideous hermaphroditical character." whatever that means, and Federalsts claiming that Jefferson slept with slaves. The close election was thrown into the House of Representatives, where Jefferson almost certainly made a secret deal to win it all.

3. 2000: George W. Bush vs. Al Gore -- Surprisingly, not the low-down dirtiest election on record, but pretty bad, with Republicans acting in a truly narrow, partisan fashion at every stage to subvert the democratic process and hand victory to George W. Bush.

2. 1964: Lyndon Johnson vs. Barry Goldwater -- Not as well know as Nixon's 1972 dirty tricks election, Johnson's 1964 win over Goldwater featured the cynical manufacturing of anti-Goldwater stories planted with gullible reporters; children's coloring books portraying Goldwater as a Klansman; CIA invasion of Goldwater's campaign; and FBI bugging of Goldwater's campaign plane.

1. 1876: Rutherford Hayes vs. Samuel Tilden -- This is the granddaddy of them all: a truly stolen election in which Republicans turned defeat into victory for Rutherford Hayes by counting Democratic votes as their own in three Southern states. Both parties used violence to intimidate former black slaves for their votes. And not to mention that Republicans extorted 2% of the salaries of Federal employees to aid in their campaign efforts, or that Democrats accused Hayes of shooting his mother and robbing the dead, or that Republicans claimed that Samuel Tilden suffered from venereal disease.

Original_Intent
10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
#2 Does not even mention Johnson's "Get out the (dead) vote" campaign.

jumpyg1258
10-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Im surprised the Federalist party has not made a comeback since the current day neo-cons remind me so much of them.

Sergeant Brother
10-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Perhaps the worst single political add I have ever seen was a Gore one in 2000 against Bush. It referenced James Byrd, the black guy who was dragged to death by white racists. The add had a shadowy truck with a chain dangling behind it, and said that Bush opposed hate crime legislation - the implication being that Bush was soft on Byrd's murder - even though the killers got the death penalty. Ironically, the death penalty's prevalence in Texas was also used against Bush in that campaign.

Not that I like Bush, but that commercial was truly low.

jumpyg1258
10-02-2007, 01:06 PM
said that Bush opposed hate crime legislation

Well it turned out to be true when it comes to hate crimes based on sexual preferences.

noxagol
10-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Hate crimes is racism written into law. It provides special treatment with race as consideration.

kylejack
10-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Perhaps the worst single political add I have ever seen was a Gore one in 2000 against Bush. It referenced James Byrd, the black guy who was dragged to death by white racists. The add had a shadowy truck with a chain dangling behind it, and said that Bush opposed hate crime legislation - the implication being that Bush was soft on Byrd's murder - even though the killers got the death penalty. Ironically, the death penalty's prevalence in Texas was also used against Bush in that campaign.

Not that I like Bush, but that commercial was truly low.

NAACP ad, not a Gore ad.

theseus51
10-02-2007, 01:54 PM
I thought Jefferson was a Democrat, not a Republican. Like wasn't the first Republican president Lincoln?

Not a dirty campaign, but I remember in 2004, we had ads from Kerry and Senator Inoyue in Hawaii, both Democrats. It was always funny to see them back to back.

Kerry's ad: Our economy sucks, factories closing, middle America can't get jobs, losing to overseas, etc. Get rid of George bush and elect me.
Inoyue's ad: The economy is growing, sunshine, happy faces. Re-elect me.