PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D Essential For Prevention Of Diseases

qwerty
11-07-2009, 06:43 AM
YouTube - Vitamin D Essential For Prevention Of Diseases (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs6Nx6OZLSA)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/comments/a1xmt/vitamin_d_essential_for_prevention_of_diseases/

Dianne
11-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Since the h1n1 hype, I've been taking 5000 mgs of vitamin d3 each day. That was recommended to me by my alternative meds doctor. That's only during flu season. He said if I feel the flu coming on, to immediately take 15000 mgs of the d3 (all at one time). D3 is supposed to kill the virus almost immediately.

Look it up on the net. I guess at the end of flu season, I'll let you know how it turned out :)).

DamianTV
11-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Or just chalk it up to dumb luck that you dont get it. Lets just hope that either way you dont get sick.

I learned something interesting the other day (unconfirmed) about the molecular structure of Hemoglobin and Chlorophyl. They are both IDENTICAL excluding one minor change. Hemoglobin uses IRON (which gives blood its red color when in the presence of oxygen, same principle as rust) and in Chlorophyl, in place of iron, has MAGNESIUM. It means that BOTH are photosynthetic. Something else that was newly discovered was that direct sunlight on the skin generates (or hemosynthesis from blood) Vitamin D. Vitamin D is also known to be destroyed by direct sunlight, hence why paper milk containers are better than plastic jugs of milk. But 15 minutes of direct sunlight per day generates enough vitamin D to satisfy even the FDA's recommended daily dosage. People that live in northern states tend to suffer from severe depression as a direct result of Vitamin D Deficiency, which is a direct result of lack of sunlight, especially during winter and really crappy weather.

Reason
11-07-2009, 12:19 PM
sent this video to my current advanced human biology professor and my kaiser doctor, I will post back with their thoughts

Dr.3D
11-07-2009, 12:26 PM
I started taking 2000 IU of D3 and to my amazement, my age spots fell off and went away.

JeNNiF00F00
11-07-2009, 03:01 PM
been taking D3 for a week now. I feel freakin' amazing.

youngbuck
11-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Since the h1n1 hype, I've been taking 5000 mgs of vitamin d3 each day. That was recommended to me by my alternative meds doctor. That's only during flu season. He said if I feel the flu coming on, to immediately take 15000 mgs of the d3 (all at one time). D3 is supposed to kill the virus almost immediately.

Look it up on the net. I guess at the end of flu season, I'll let you know how it turned out :)).

IUs, not milligrams!

Hunter Gatherer
11-07-2009, 06:54 PM
I also started taking D3 and i'm the only one in my class that has not gotten sick... and i'm also the only one that refused the flue shot lol.

ICBCINTERGER2
11-07-2009, 07:58 PM
You're always on point.http://www.photosnag.com/img/4713/n09x0302vnsn/clear.gif

akihabro
11-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Stand outside on a sunny day and you'll get some vitamin D.

Dianne
11-07-2009, 10:32 PM
IUs, not milligrams!

Oooops, just looked at the bottle and you are exactly right; iu's NOT mg's.

RCA
11-07-2009, 11:20 PM
What's the difference between the chalky pills called Vitamin D and the clear liquid pills called Vitamin D3? I just looked at Wikipedia and I'm still confused. I have both versions at home.

Dr.3D
11-07-2009, 11:24 PM
What's the difference between the chalky pills called Vitamin D and the clear liquid pills called Vitamin D3? I just looked at Wikipedia and I'm still confused. I have both versions at home.

As long as both bottles say D3 on them, there is really no difference.

RCA
11-07-2009, 11:30 PM
As long as both bottles say D3 on them, there is really no difference.

You're right the chalky ones say D3 in really small letters under the big letter "D". I thought they might be different vitamins because one is solid and one is a liquid. Thanks for the understanding.

Dianne
11-08-2009, 12:28 AM
My D3's are white capsules with 5000 iu's each. I'm taking one per day at the moment.

gb13
11-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Stand outside on a sunny day and you'll get some vitamin D.

Easy to say when you live in Pasadena!:D

Sunlight is really the best way to obtain vitamin D, by far. For people in northern climates, though, Vitamin D3 supplementation is essential in winter.

Reason
11-09-2009, 12:30 PM
sent this video to my current advanced human biology professor and my kaiser doctor, I will post back with their thoughts

Here is what my BIO Prof said;

there is a lethal dose for Vit D but it is in high megadoses (used in some rat poisons) it has a lethal dose for half a population (LD 50) of 619 mg/kg which makes it safe. Most of what they talked about in the video is correct. it does play a role in cancer prevention, immunity, and various other factors. Major problem is that most MDs are not taught nutrition on a high enough level and many other "Nutritional experts" don't have the background to understand what is happening so much of what is told to the public if off.

youngbuck
11-09-2009, 02:04 PM

The capsules don't have any oil inside them. The softgels do have some type of oil in them (e.g. safflower oil). For the capsules to be properly absorbed, you must consume them with some type fat since vitamin D is fat soluable. This isn't as much of a concern with the softgels.

pahs1994
11-09-2009, 03:58 PM
i have been taking 1000i.u. of vitamin d3. The bottle says that that is 250%DV so i thought it would be enough.
But i see people are taking alot more. I don't get alot of sun because of my work hours, even more now since its winter in PA. Should i up it to 2000iu or even more?

dannno
11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I also started taking D3 and i'm the only one in my class that has not gotten sick... and i'm also the only one that refused the flue shot lol.

I'm soo shocked :rolleyes:

I get sun off and on throughout the year, as I live in so cal, but also work all day. I get sun working in my garden and surfing. If I'm getting enough sun, I don't take the supplements. If I work all day and don't get into the sun, especially for more than a day or two I've been taking 5,000 IU of vitamin D. Haven't gotten sick yet (don't tell my boss, tho, shhhhhh!! I had to take some work off for medical reasons that I didn't want to discuss with my employer so I just said I was sick..then a few days later I think my boss ended up with swine flu, sheesh..)

dannno
11-09-2009, 04:10 PM
i have been taking 1000i.u. of vitamin d3. The bottle says that that is 250%DV so i thought it would be enough.
But i see people are taking alot more. I don't get alot of sun because of my work hours, even more now since its winter in PA. Should i up it to 2000iu or even more?

Some people suggest 5,000 IU.. but then there are others who say I think that vitamin D is not water soluble so you can end up ODing with too much in your system...

You can get your Vitamin D levels tested and see if you might need more.

This might be helpful:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2333982&postcount=5

from

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=211812

You might get tested before you start taking the 5,000 to see if you're low to begin with. If you're not low with what you're taking already, 2,000 IU might be enough. I'd imagine people's levels generally drop throughout the winter.

EDIT: If you checkout CivilRadient's post on the last page, his doctor seemed to indicate that the level of toxicity in humans is 10 times the level that you are shooting for in the test I cited above from YoungBuck.

pahs1994
11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
thanks danno!

tpreitzel
11-09-2009, 04:59 PM
One can easily take several thousand IU of Vitamin D3 a day during the winter months with no problem. In fact, I recommend that every adult supplement 3000 IU per day during the winter. I'm unsure about the recommend level of supplementation of D3 for children under age 5 though.

tpreitzel
11-09-2009, 05:03 PM

Absolutely increase your intake level to at least 3000 IU per day during the winter. Vitamin D deficiency is common especially during the winter. For most people, I'd recommend supplementing Vitamin D3 during the summer also, but at the reduced rate of 1000 IU per day. If you're a laborer working outside most of the day during the summer, then you'd probably need no supplementation at all during the summer.

Reason
11-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Here is the response I got from my doctor (Kaiser)

"Take between 150-300 international units daily. Since we live in a sunny climate, which converts the precursor of Vitamin D into Vit D, our requirement here is not as high as other places (San Diego). Thanks for writing. There is new material coming out out all the time about the importance of Vitamin D."