PDA

View Full Version : Steele to moderate Republicans: 'We'll come after you'

bobbyw24
11-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Wait--isn't Steele a Moderate Rep?

RNC Chairman Michael Steele, channeling his party's energized conservative wing, said the party will "come after" moderates who support President Obama's domestic policies.

http://blog.reidreport.com/uploaded_images/steele-shock-j-746504.jpg

"[C]andidates who live in moderate to slightly liberal districts have got to walk a little bit carefully here, because you do not want to put yourself in a position where you’re crossing that line on conservative principles, fiscal principles, because we’ll come after you,” Steele told ABC's Top Line in response to a question about Republicans who support the White House's stimulus and health care plans.

“You’re gonna find yourself in a very tough hole if you’re arguing for the president’s stimulus plan or Nancy Pelosi’s health plan. There’s no justification for growing the size of government the way this administration and this Congress wants to do it.”

Steele didn't name targets, but prominent governors -- Charlie Crist and Arnold Schwarzenegger -- supported the stimulus, while Olympia Snowe appears to be the lone Senate supporter of health care legislation.

Steele didn't say what form retribution would take.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1109/Steele_to_moderates_Well_come_after_you.html

LittleLightShining
11-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Hilarious. But at least he's listening.

The Plot to Purge GOP Moderates (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-11-04/operation-target-moderates?cmpid=p_yahoo)

Steele lashed out at the blogger, saying, “I don’t see a victory in losing seats.” But in an exclusive interview with The Daily Beast, Erickson said Steele’s comment indicates the RNC chairman doesn’t get the battle he’s in.

“He and the establishment Republicans are playing a dangerous game equating conservatives and the Republican Party as the same thing,” he said. “There’s a break that’s needed to happen between that relationship, and I think [New York’s 23rd District] finally severed that relationship the way it needed to be severed.”

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Not re-assuring. We need to purge the NEO-CONS out first, then we can get rid of the centrists. Then we'll be left with the .... pure Minarchist version of the LP lmao. So, they can migrate to the GOP, and us An-Caps can stay in the LP. I trust you guys will be more open to open up ballot access, and all that jazz....right? :p

angelatc
11-06-2009, 07:52 AM
I LOL'd. Bobby had the same thought I had.

There's no change here. Just rhetoric. "You can lean fiscally left, but not too far! And we love Big War!"

mconder
11-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Another one of those bastards pretending to be all patriot, just like most of the ones on the steps of the capitol yesterday. Sunshine patriots come to mind. These guys will revert to their neo-con selves again once they are back in power.