PDA

View Full Version : Freestaters help elect Good Candidates

FSP-Rebel
11-05-2009, 09:57 PM
http://freestateblogs.net/. We're very impressed with the freestaters that helped good candidates in NH.

OKAY NEWS
State Senator Betsi DeVries, who cast the deciding vote against medical marijuana in NH, is also an Alderman in Manchester. She won her Alderman race by a measly 48 votes out of nearly 2,000 cast! A real squeaker. But wait, there's more. Sources inform me that she did not want to run for office again, she's tired of the constant calls and emails! Her Party apparently twisted her arm and got her to run. And she won despite a MASSIVE effort by the Firefighters' Union, Teachers' Union, and her Party. Pro-liberty activists at the polls report busloads of people transported to the polling place to vote for her. And still she just. barely. squeaked. in. We'll get you next time, Betsi... if you're glutton for punishment enough to run!

GOOD NEWS
Anti-income-tax Teddy Gatsas defeats pro-income-tax Mark Roy to become Mayor of Manchester.

GREAT NEWS
More victories in municipal elections: Liberty activist David Murotake has been elected to Nashua's Board of Education. FSPer Cam DeJong won his race for Selectman. FSP Friend Phil Greazzo won his race for Alderman. And the SPENDING CAP PASSED!!! This "cap" was the result of much work by FSPers and other NH liberty activists. Manchester's city government has some nice new chains holding it down. Very nice.

BEST NEWS EVER:
NH Liberty Alliance-endorsed Lynne Blankenbeker defeats "big-government conservative" Jim MacKay in special election for State Representative! This is all the more amazing, given that Lynne has NEVER held any political office before -- her opponent had previously been Mayor of Concord, and had been a State Rep for some 20 years. Lynne has NOT lived in Concord all her life. Concord is the NH's capitol city, full of government employees. NH "traditional wisdom" is that only big-government candidates can win in Concord. Yet last election, FSPers helped eject a pro-income-tax Rep Liz Hager (who had been in office for 36 years) and replaced Hager with an anti-income-tax candidate. And now this year "big-government conservative" Jim MacKay is replaced by a strong supporter of fully informed juries, medical marijuana, states' rights, gun rights, and SMALLER government.

Wrap-up
All this amazing action happened with just the activists that are here already... imagine what more will do! Join us. Feel what it's like for liberty activists to win elections!

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Awesome! I'm torn.....once I get out of the Military and finish my double BA if Medina gets elected in Texas....such a quandry. New Hampshire or Texas....who wants this liberty-loving, Anarcho-Capitalist the most? :D:D

I guess it all depends come 2013 or so.....we'll see who is further along the liberty train.

Keith and stuff
11-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Fantastic day. It was so much fun standing at the poll all day with a dozen people I know and another dozen good people. I had cake, cookies, candy, shepards pie, bread, meatballs, sandwiches, juice and coffee while there.

BTW, both David and Cam are Ron Paul Republicans.

Manchester is the biggest city in NH it the voters just voted for a spending cap. Nashua, the 2nd largest city in NH, has had a spending cap for years. The big cities in NH aren't like the biggest cities in most states where big government statists rule the land.

Mandrik
11-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I heard the news on Free Talk Live a couple nights ago. That's awesome! You guys are making some serious progress up in NH. I'm jealous & wish I could join you all.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Fantastic day. It was so much fun standing at the poll all day with a dozen people I know and another dozen good people. I had cake, cookies, candy, shepards pie, bread, meatballs, sandwiches, juice and coffee while there.

BTW, both David and Cam are Ron Paul Republicans.

Manchester is the biggest city in NH it the voters just voted for a spending cap. Nashua, the 2nd largest city in NH, has had a spending cap for years. The big cities in NH aren't like the biggest cities in most states where big government statists rule the land.

Any chance NH can abolish the property tax, and institute other revenue avenues which don't destroy Natural Law? That is the one big problem of NH.....get rid of that property tax...

Keith and stuff
11-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Awesome! I'm torn.....once I get out of the Military and finish my double BA if Medina gets elected in Texas....such a quandry. New Hampshire or Texas....who wants this liberty-loving, Anarcho-Capitalist the most? :D:D

I guess it all depends come 2013 or so.....we'll see who is further along the liberty train.

NH is likely far ahead of Texas right now, no offense. There iss a thread about this on the FSP Forum.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=18718.0

FSP-Rebel
11-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Any chance NH can abolish the property tax, and institute other revenue avenues which don't destroy Natural Law? That is the one big problem of NH.....get rid of that property tax...
The more activists up here, the more we can get rid of the prop tax. My goal is to at least lower it soon, but your support will beneficial. We, as the FSP, do lot's every election to help get pro-liberty peeps elected. Our track record should make those that have little voice where they are, come here and help our easy and worthy cause.

FSP-Rebel
11-05-2009, 10:18 PM
I heard the news on Free Talk Live a couple nights ago. That's awesome! You guys are making some serious progress up in NH. I'm jealous & wish I could join you all.
What is keeping u from joining us?

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-05-2009, 10:20 PM
NH is likely far ahead of Texas right now, no offense. There iss a thread about this on the FSP Forum.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=18718.0

We'll see if Debra get's elected....big changes if that happens.

Secondly, any in-roads to abolishing the Property Tax? NH has one of the highest in the Nation.....

Property Taxation absolutely trashes Natural Law :(

How about go to an all-voluntary system? Send out W-2's and you can check if you wish to contribute to local fire and police, or move to an all private fire department like many in California have. Hell, even a sales tax wouldn't be that bad...just put a cap on it, like say 3 cents. Just get rid of property taxation lmao.

But, yeah, as of now it looks like once I graduate I'll be heading up to NH in like 4-5 years.

Keith and stuff
11-05-2009, 10:23 PM

I don't see that happening in any state for a very long time. However, property taxes in NH vary wildly from town to town. Some folks pay under $1000 for a home while some folks pay over $10,000. It depends on what town you live in and how much your place costs. In the towns, the voters get to decide much of the taxes. Move to a town where the voters want low property taxes and encourage the taxes to go even lower. It would certainly work.

People think NH has high property taxes, but it really depends on the town. Overall, NH is 3rd highest behind NY and NJ (both of which also have an income and sales tax). However, if you look at the more conservative and libertarian towns, the average property taxes paid may be 1/2 as much as the more statist towns. And then it depends how big your home is, what type of home you have, how much land you have, what you use your land for and so on. Property taxes in NH are like income taxes in most states. If you really think about what you are doing, you can avoid most of them. I know a family that has a condo in one of the 5 nicest towns in NH. The average house is big and nice. The ocean is near-by. However, this freestate couple only pays around $1500 a year in property taxes. When it comes to low taxes, NH is a great place to be :)

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-05-2009, 10:24 PM
The more activists up here, the more we can get rid of the prop tax. My goal is to at least lower it soon, but your support will beneficial. We, as the FSP, do lot's every election to help get pro-liberty peeps elected. Our track record should make those that have little voice where they are, come here and help our easy and worthy cause.

Sounds great. I've thought about what I'd like to do once I get out of the military and graduate with double BA in Economics / Philosophy...minor in Finance. I think reducing the State as much as humanly possible is one possibility. Sounds like NH is very community, localized, and more attentive to liberty-candidates.

Not sure, how your local politics are, but I sure could go for the live the private life, and then repeal State liberty-trashing measures for the few months the bodies are in session...

Who knows. 4-5 years is a long time.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-05-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't see that happening in any state for a very long time. However, property taxes in NH vary wildly from town to town. Some folks pay under $1000 for a home while some folks pay over $10,000. It depends on what town you live in and how much your place costs. In the towns, the voters get to decide much of the taxes. Move to a town where the voters want low property taxes and encourage the taxes to go even lower. It would certainly work.

Debra wants to abolish all property taxation.....and with Texas all ready having no income taxation...pretty good. On other issues, I'm not that familiar with Texas about, but no property taxation and no income taxation is huge. Free up gun laws, and re-affirm our 4th and it sounds good, especially since Texas is very independant minded (From the Fed).

However, if NH would ban property taxation, you would get a large migration guaranteed. Curious....how's the word on Nullification and Interposition in NH? Also, NH has two very liberal Senators...going to be booting them out anytime soon? ;)

Mandrik
11-05-2009, 10:29 PM
What is keeping u from joining us?

Family. I'm sure it's the most common excuse, but it's true for me. I've always been "awake" basically my entire life (since middle school), but I've never spent so much time educated myself & understanding liberty like I have in the past couple years. I've changed A TON since I got married in 2003 and since we had our twin daughters in 2004. I'd love to uproot and move, but my wife would never want to. Our entire family is here (both sides) and they are a huge help with watching the girls. The wife & I work opposite schedules. Twins really changed everything in our lives, especially financially. Needing two of everything isn't cheap, lol. We luckily have good jobs & a great family that supports us.

If I was single I would uproot in a heartbeat and figure it all out when I got there. That just isn't possible for me at this point in my life, though.

Keith and stuff
11-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Debra wants to abolish all property taxation.....and with Texas all ready having no income taxation...pretty good. On other issues, I'm not that familiar with Texas about, but no property taxation and no income taxation is huge. Free up gun laws, and re-affirm our 4th and it sounds good, especially since Texas is very independant minded (From the Fed).

I saw that. I don't see NH or any state ending all property taxes anytime close to soon. Government is more locally funded in NH than any other state. Most of that funding comes from property taxes. Thankfully, in most towns, voters actually get to vote on the budget, line by line. Voters decide much of the budget. Those reasons and the people of NH are likely the reasons why taxes are so low in NH when compared to other states.

TX has terrible gun laws, btw.

However, if NH would ban property taxation, you would get a large migration guaranteed. Curious....how's the word on Nullification and Interposition in NH? Also, NH has two very liberal Senators...going to be booting them out anytime soon? ;)

NH used to have the most pro-freedom Senator in the nation but even Judd was a statist. Currently, NH doesn't have great Senators but they aren't much worse than your average US Senator. Thankfully, a US Senator doesn't set policy or control local politics in NH.

The new mayor of Manchester (the largest city in NH) just got elected by promising to keep taxes low and support the spending cap (which just passed in Manchester.) Those were also the two main issues of the outgoing mayor of Manchester.

BuddyRey
11-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Mmm...the Soon-to-be-Free State is looking better and better.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Mmm...the Soon-to-be-Free State is looking better and better.

Indeed. Anyone in NH know where the most mass of liberty-minded peoples are? I will move there and perhaps one day run to abolish property taxation. Fire services can be privatized by home-owners insurance. Public parks, and the like can be voluntarily funded through voluntary tax-forms. If short-fall of revenue, then we can give the community 60 days to donate enough funds, or will sell on a contracted basis that the property be used as a public park for a period of 10 years, then you are free to use the property as they see fit. I'm sure some arrangement would be made by the community to purchase the land; into which they would sign the contract specifying the arrangement. Something like that.....bah-I doubt I'll ever see anything like that....

No property taxes, No income taxes, No sales taxes. Voluntary - Government. We can do it....I know we can.

You can easily voluntarily fund Police Services, and you know they wouldn't be assholes and violate your liberty because if they do, you can simply refuse payment next year. Remarkable how the free-market works so wonderfully.... :p Imagine, police once again being a bulwark against tyranny.

Once all that is accomplished all you would need is a city manager, accountant, and third-party auditor.

Keith and stuff
11-06-2009, 09:16 AM
...Public parks, and the like can be voluntarily funded through voluntary tax-forms.
You can easily voluntarily fund Police Services, and you know they wouldn't be assholes and violate your liberty because if they do, you can simply refuse payment next year. Remarkable how the free-market works so wonderfully.... :p Imagine, police once again being a bulwark against tyranny.

Once all that is accomplished all you would need is a city manager, accountant, and third-party auditor.

Cool thing is, the state parks in NH are funded by user fees already. Also, if you get lost hiking a mountain and it is determined that you were grossly negligent, then you have to pay the rescue fees. This is important because NH is one of the main hiking destinations in the world.

As for cops, NH already has the second lowest amount of cops per capita, only behind OR. VT is number three. Of course, NH is also the safest state in the nation.

As for a city manager, I don't know if that is a good idea. One of the main things keeping NH less oppressive than other areas is that people have more control over their local governments than the people of any other state with line by line voting on the town budget. No matter where people are, no matter the form of government, the people have to remain active to keep big government at bay. When Thomas Jefferson said, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance," he wasn't kidding :) That's what I think, anyway.

I like yours ideas of what the future of freedom may be like. However, in order to reach that kind of freedom, it will take 1000s of people concentration in a small area, rolling up their sleeves, and working hard to build a more free future. That is the idea of the FSP.

dr. hfn
11-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I'll be there when I'm done with college!