PDA

View Full Version : Letter to Mel Watt (my Congressman)

ZachR
11-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Representative Watt,

I am one of your constituents in Winston-Salem, and I have some comments and questions regarding your treatment of HR 1207 to audit the Federal Reserve.

According to President John F. Kennedy, "The very word 'secrecy' is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it."

Why, then, have you removed measures from HR 1207 that would allow the citizens of this country to know what is going on behind closed doors? Over 300 members of the House of Representatives co-sponsored HR 1207 and there are a multitude of vocal citizens who support the measure. Where do you find the gall, Mr. Watt, to alter its original form and nullify the intended effects?

Who do you represent, the people of your district (your constituents who put you in office), or the fat-cats of the banking industry? Why are you protecting the people who have directly contributed to the economic recession in which we currently find ourselves? We have demanded to see what the Federal Reserve is doing with our money and our childrens' money, and you are trying to stop us from gaining access to that information. Why? Who are you protecting and what are they hiding? This is what we want to know.

According to Article I, Section 8, of the Constitution (which you took a solemn oath to uphold), only Congress has the power "To coin Money, [and] regulate the Value thereof". Why then, has the Federal Reserve, a private bank, been given such a great amount of power over our monetary system? Why should Congress and the American people NOT have a right to know what is happening at the Fed, as you have suggested? You (Congress) gave them power under the Federal Reserve Act of 1913; you can certainly take it away.

Please remember that you were put in office by voters from the State of North Carolina, and no amount of money from these companies (a small sampling of your top campaign donors, easily found online) will keep us from removing you from office:

American Express
Wachovia
Citigroup Inc
American Bankers Assn
CME Group
Bank of America
Bank of New York Mellon
BB&T Corp
Credit Suisse Group
Credit Union National Assn
NASDAQ OMX Group
SunTrust Banks
US Bancorp

Congressman Watt, you took an oath to uphold the Constitution and you were elected to represent the people of the 12th District of the State of North Carolina.

If you betray the voters who put you in office and put our interests behind those of banks and financial companies, we will have no choice but to remove you from office and elect someone with greater moral rectitude.

The future of this country depends on our vigilance in protecting our liberty, and among it, the buying power of our currency. With the price of gold over $1000/oz, it is obvious that the dollar will fail if it continues on this trajectory. The Federal Reserve, which was created to prevent such crises, is only making the problem worse. They have had decades to prove their worth and have failed to do so.

Secrecy, as JFK rightly noted, goes against the noble ideals that this country was founded on. Please present HR 1207 in its original form that over 300 of your House colleagues co-sponsored and that the citizens have demanded. Let us see what is happening with OUR money, and represent the people who made you a member of the House of Representatives.

Sincerely,

[My name]
Winston-Salem, NC

ctiger2
11-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Good Work. I've sent him a few faxes of late too and I'm nowhere near that district.

malkusm
11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Excellent letter! Although I doubt that we can actually remove him from the seat he holds in that gerrymandered district, we can certainly do a lot to make Congressman Watt feel uncomfortable in his actions and convictions. :)

KCIndy
11-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Good letter, Zach!

Keep turning up the heat!! :)

phill4paul
11-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Good one Zach. Condense it and sent it to the Charlotte Observer. I sent one, but they haven't gotten back to me so I guess they didn't like it.:D

ronpaulhawaii
11-05-2009, 10:17 PM
:cool:

AdamT
11-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Get that to every paper in Watt's district!

FreedomRings
11-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Trying to reason with Mel Watt reminds me of one of Aesop's fables (http://www.holyebooks.org/authors/aesops/fables_rev/aesop_fables_rev.html):

A Wolf, meeting with a Lamb astray from the fold, resolved not to lay violent hands on him, but to find some plea, which should justify to the Lamb himself his right to eat him. He then addressed him: "Sirrah, last year you grossly insulted me." "Indeed," bleated the Lamb in a mournful tone of voice, "I was not then born." Then said the Wolf: "You feed in my pasture." "No, good sir," replied the Lamb, "I have not yet tasted grass." Again said the Wolf: "You drink of my well." "No," exclaimed the Lamb, "I never yet drank water, for as yet my mother's milk is both food and drink to me." On which the Wolf seized him, and ate him up, saying: "Well! I won't remain supperless, even though you refute every one of my imputations."

The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny, and it is useless for the innocent to try by reasoning to get justice, when the oppressor intends to be unjust.

In other words:

Mel Watt, meeting with Ron Paul, resolved not to lay violent hands on him, but to find some plea, which should justify to Ron Paul his right to destroy HR 1207. He then addressed him: "The Federal Reserve doesn't like your bill." "Indeed it does not. That's the point.", replied Ron Paul. Mel Watt looked at his notes and read point #2: "Your audit will politicize the Federal Reserve and threaten its independence." "No, good sir," countered Ron Paul, "the Federal Reserve is already politicized, and politicians generally want low interest rates and that's what we already have." Again said Mel Watt: "The Federal Reserve has done a great job saving the economy." "No," exclaimed Ron Paul, "they caused the crisis in the first place, and here's why..." On which Mel Watt kicked him out of his office, and tore up HR 1207, saying: "Well! I have to eat, and I won't remain supperless, even though you refute every one of my allegations."

I mean, even if Watt actually read and understood these letters (I watched many of his videos and he seems semi-literate at best), he would never be convinced by them. The only language he understands is the fear of losing his seat, but I'll bet he has assurances by the bankers that they will continue to support him as long as he does their bidding. If he turns against them and restores HR 1207, he can be sure of losing his seat in 2010. So I'm pretty sure that no matter how much we expose him, he will probably take his chances against us rather than offend his masters.

Chester Copperpot
11-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Zach, its a nice letter.. Now, not to sound like an asshole but he will never read it, and he doesnt give two shits about your letter..

If you live near to his office, you might find it better to go to his office in person, take a bullhorn and read your letter out loud all day until he changes his mind...

And even better would be to get some friends and hand out flyers on how Mel Watt is paid off by banks and doesnt want transparency etc...

The guy is a scumbag...

ZachR
11-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I know he will never read it, but it still felt good to write it...

Since I knew he wouldn't read it, and it wouldn't make a difference if he did, I let loose and decided to be more confrontational than I would normally.

I agree, the guy seems semi-literate at best, and I doubt he gives 2 shits about anyone but himself.

ronpaulhawaii
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
If you live near to his office, you might find it better to go to his office in person, take a bullhorn and read your letter out loud all day until he changes his mind...

And even better would be to get some friends and hand out flyers on how mel watt is paid off by banks and doesnt want transparency etc...

The guy is a scumbag...

+1776