PDA

View Full Version : Liberal lawmakers defy Obama on Patriot Act

LittleLightShining
11-05-2009, 03:52 PM
Liberal lawmakers defy Obama on Patriot Act (http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=11452720)

Posted: Nov 05, 2009 4:44 PM EST Updated: Nov 05, 2009 4:45 PM EST
By LARRY MARGASAK
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The House Judiciary Committee has voted to remove an anti-terrorism tool from the USA Patriot Act.

The committee, dominated by Democratic liberals, also approved revisions that would curb the government's surveillance and seizure powers in anti-terrorism investigations.

The Judiciary Committee bill would eliminate the Patriot Act's never-used "lone wolf" section. This permits the government to spy on non-Americans even when they're not linked to a recognized terrorist group.

The changes to Patriot Act went to the full House on a 16-10 party line vote Thursday. None of the committee Republicans supported the changes.

NYgs23
11-05-2009, 04:01 PM
In this Obama age, sometimes I need news like this to keep me from foolishly sympathizing with the Republicans.

amy31416
11-05-2009, 04:35 PM
This shooting at Fort Hood is going to silence anyone who objects to the "Patriot" Act.

LittleLightShining
11-05-2009, 04:35 PM
This shooting at Fort Hood is going to silence anyone who objects to the "Patriot" Act.

My thoughts, exactly :(

Working Poor
11-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Probably but I can still hope can't I

Minlawc
11-05-2009, 05:17 PM

Not really. The "Patriot" Act is, in fact, in place right now. It means it's not working at all.

tangent4ronpaul
11-05-2009, 05:18 PM
posted in another thread, but it fits right in here:

congress critter to neal covurto (sp?) on Fox Business just now (paraphrased) : "uh, yeah Neal - it's interesting that we are going over some provisions of the patriot act right now and it will be interesting to see how some of those provisions would have helped or hurt preventing something like this..."

uhhh - RIGHT!

-t

sevin
11-05-2009, 05:35 PM

congress critter to neal covurto (sp?) on Fox Business just now (paraphrased) : "uh, yeah Neal - it's interesting that we are going over some provisions of the patriot act right now and it will be interesting to see how some of those provisions would have helped or hurt preventing something like this..."

:mad:

Liberty Star
11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Dissent is a good thing.

LittleLightShining
11-06-2009, 05:51 AM

uhhh - RIGHT!

-t

Of course. We can't give back what we took from you. Look out! Crazy Muslim on the loose. So sad.