PDA

View Full Version : White House Busts Gov Crist in Lie About Whether he Supported the Bailouts

bobbyw24
11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
hink his words at that event speak for themselves,' Gibbs said. AP Close

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist may be distancing himself from his support for the stimulus bill Congress enacted earlier this year, but the White House isn't playing along.

A day after Crist denied having endorsed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters the governor's February appearance with President Obama in Fort Myers, Fla., left little doubt about his views on the law.

"I think his words at that event speak for themselves," Gibbs said. "I think he was very supportive of the legislation and supportive of the benefits that it would have and has had for the state of Florida."

Crist has played down his support for the stimulus in his Senate primary campaign against former state House Speaker Marco Rubio. Crist has consistently led Rubio in public polling, but the conservative former state legislator has won a series of local straw polls and appears to be closing the gap in some surveys of the race.

http://images.politico.com/global/politico44/091105_gibbs_crist_ap_392_regular_regular.jpg

Rubio spokesman Alex Burgos reacted to Gibbs's remarks in an email to POLITICO: "Charlie Crist's support for the stimulus is undeniable. Charlie Crist supported the stimulus, and we have the photos and video to prove it."

A day earlier, Crist flatly denied backing the Recovery Act in an interview with CNN.

"I didn't endorse it," Crist told interviewer Wolf Blitzer Wednesday. "I didn't even have a vote on the darned thing. But I understood that it was going to pass and I wanted to be able to utilize it for the benefit of my fellow Floridians."

Back in February, Crist was singing a different tune. When he introduced Obama in Fort Myers, he told his audience: "It's getting harder every day and we know that it's important that we pass this stimulus package."

"Mr. President, we need to do it in a bipartisan way," Crist said. "This issue of helping our country is about helping our country. This is not about partisan politics. This is about rising above that, helping America and reigniting our economy."

Read about another Crist stimulus flap at Ben Smith's blog.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/1109/kiss_of_death_1fa538c0-ac7b-45eb-bd9e-1fa09e006689.html

Bruno
11-05-2009, 03:52 PM
"I didn't endorse it," Crist told interviewer Wolf Blitzer Wednesday. "I didn't even have a vote on the darned thing. Besides, I was tanning at the time, so don't blame me for it."

mine in bold

bobbyw24
11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/1109/Before_Crist_didnt_support_stimulus_he_did.html

Charlie Crist is enduring some local eye-rolling this morning for his claim that he didn't "endorse" the stimulus:

And indeed, Crist's own "Florida Recovery" website belies the claim. There, he links a "Dear Mr. President" letter he signed with 18 fellow governors, which begins, "We are writing to express our support for the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), which passed last week in the House and is under consideration currently in the Senate."

"We support the objectives of ARRA and welcome the partnership it offers us as governors," the letter says. "We look forward to workign with Congress and your Administration to advance an economic recovery package that puts federal dollars to work in our states in the quickest and most efficient manner as possible."

The Club for Growth went up today with an ad attacking Crist for supporting the package.
Posted by Ben Smith 03:16 PM

klamath
11-05-2009, 07:56 PM
What a fool.

Bucjason
11-06-2009, 06:58 AM
The Anti-Crist must be stopped....