PDA

View Full Version : BJ Lawson urges call/fax campaign - *SAVE HR1207*

KCIndy
11-04-2009, 04:05 PM
I originally posted this in General Politics, but it doesn't seem to be getting much response. Mods, please feel free to move/delete the GenPolitics post, which is:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=217633

BJ Lawson sent out an email in which he lists the 13 Democratic representatives who are on the Financial Services Committee. He (Lawson) is urging a call/fax/write campaign to see if we can swing these 13 into using their influence to counteract Watt's gutting of 1207.

Here's BJ's email, complete with sample letter and phone numbers of the 13. I've included, at the bottom, the fax numbers of these same reps.

Time is of the essence here! I can't urge everyone strongly enough - even if you don't want to call, PLEASE at least cut-n-paste and fax a couple of letters.

BJ's email:

Ever want to buy your very own Congressman? A legislative tool to get the job done, especially dirty jobs that violate the trust of the American people? How much do you think it would cost?

It turns out surprisingly little.

Meet Rep. Mel Watt of North Carolina's 12th District. Commercial banks have been his largest career donor, giving a total of $319,822 over the past ten years. That's just a little over $30,000 per year.

What do banking lobbyists get in return?

Rep. Watt chairs the House Financial Services monetary policy subcommittee. Last Friday, Rep. Ron Paul reported that our Federal Reserve Transparency Act (HR 1207) was "gutted" in Rep. Watt's subcommittee. Rep. Watt's changes restricted inquiry around transactions with foreign central banks, monetary policy deliberations, transactions made under the direction of the Federal Open Market Committee and communications between the Board, the reserve banks and staff.

Not a bad return on investment for the Fed and its lobbyists.

In defense of Rep. Watt, however, it's not totally his fault. His district is the most obviously gerrymandered in North Carolina, following I-85 like a snake from Charlotte to Winston Salem. It is overwhelmingly Democratic, and his re-election has never been seriously challenged. Why should he represent the people when he is electorally invincible?

An invincible incumbent is the most useful tool, and a bargain to boot.

While we may not be able to hold Rep. Watt accountable, we can fight back. His attempt to eviscerate HR1207 must be approved by the full Financial Services committee. It is essential that we contact each member of the Financial Services committee TODAY and let them know Rep. Watt's proposed changes are unacceptable. Please review the list of committee members, and focus on your representative, or those from your state.

I've attached my letter below to help you get started. Join me at DownsizeDC.org to use their Educate the Powerful system -- it's the easiest way to get your message to Congress.

###

Dear Representative Miller,

I am writing you in your capacity as a member of the House Committee on Financial Services.

You may be aware that Rep. Mel Watt's subcommittee on monetary policy introduced changes to the Federal Reserve Transparency Act (HR 1207) that restrict inquiry around transactions with foreign central banks, monetary policy deliberations, transactions made under the direction of the Federal Open Market Committee and communications between the Board, the reserve banks and staff.

These changes have the practical effect of killing the bill, and eliminating the transparency that our economy and financial markets require for stability and sustainable growth.

It is clear that Rep. Watt is serving the banking lobbyists who have funded his campaigns over the past decade. It is also clear that he does not fear for his re-election, given his willingness to put the bankers' narrow interests above those of the American people.

Your district is not quite as safe. There are many people across party lines who will work to defeat you if you support Rep. Watt's changes.

HR 1207 has over 300 cosponsors in its original form. I trust you will use your influence to remove Rep. Watt's changes, and bring HR 1207 to a vote on the House floor in its original form.

Sincerely,

William (B.J.) Lawson

###

P.S -- In a recent video message, Ron Paul indicated that it is especially important that constituents contact the 13 Democrats on the Financial Services committee who already co-sponsored HR 1207, with a VERY polite reminder that you STILL want them to support the ORIGINAL bill, and to resist Mr. Watt's amendments.

For your convenience, here is that list . . .

Rep. John Adler, NJ (202) 225-4765
Rep. Travis Childers, MS (202) 225-4306
Rep. Steve Driehaus, OH (202) 225-2216
Rep. Alan Grayson, FL (202) 225-2176
Rep. Rubén Hinojosa, TX (202) 225-2531
Rep. Suzanne Kosmas, FL (877) 956-7627
Rep. Dan Maffei, NY (202) 225-3701
Rep. Brad Miller, NC (202) 225-3032
Rep. Walt Minnick, ID (202) 225-6611
Rep. Ed Perlmutter, CO (202)-225-2645
Rep. David Scott, GA (202) 225-2939
Rep. Brad Sherman, CA (202) 225-5911
Rep. Jackie Speier, CA (202) 225-3531

And the FAX NUMBERS of the above-listed representatives:

Rep. John Adler (202) 225-0778
Rep. Travis Childers (202) 225-3549
Rep. Steve Driehaus (202) 225-3012
Rep. Alan Grayson (202) 225-0999
Rep. Ruben Hinojosa (202) 225-5688
Rep. Suzanne Kosmas (202) 226-6299
Rep. Daniel Maffei (202) 225-4042
Rep. Brad Miller (202) 225-0181
Rep. Walt Minnick (202) 225-3029
Rep. Ed Perlmutter (202) 225-5278
Rep. David Scott (202) 225-4628
Rep. Brad Sherman (202) 225-5879
Rep. Jackie Speier (202) 226-4183

As I mentioned in the other post, you can send a FREE fax at www.faxzero.com and I urge everyone with five minutes of free time to fax at least a couple of these representatives. Better yet - CALL!!

Thanks, and sorry if this smacks of double-posting. Like I said, Mods are free to delete the original post... But time is critical and we need to get the word out on this!! Thanks!!