PDA

View Full Version : Should Ron Paul Run for President in 2012?

sevin
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
I had assumed everyone here was for this, but now I'm noticing a lot of people who don't think it's a good idea. I'm just curious what the poll results will be.

klamath
11-02-2009, 10:38 PM
You are noticing it too?

Austin
11-02-2009, 10:44 PM
100% absolutely yes.

Mahkato
11-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Might it detract from other candidates who are trying to follow in Ron's footsteps?

Original_Intent
11-02-2009, 10:47 PM
If he wants to run to win, yes. If he wants to run another educational movement (despite the very decent results that has brought) not on my dime. I still realize that he is an outside shot to win, but I don;t want any of this switching focus to save his House seat, He needs to run to win the presidency, or run to be a Congressman.

american.swan
11-02-2009, 11:00 PM
I voted yes, but I have mixed emotions about this.

I don't want another educational movement either. He'll likely surround himself with people who still don't have a clue how to run a campaign.

I'm probably more interested in him running for Texas Governor or that Texas Senate seat.

1. We need SOMEONE in the US presidential race that supports our views.
2. Rand needs to run for President, if he wins in KY.
3. Schiff should stay in the Senate, don't run for President EVER.
4. Ron Paul needs to either stay put or run for TX Senate.

ctiger2
11-02-2009, 11:07 PM
I say yes!

Carson
11-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I think yes for us but what about Ron Paul?

He has given a lot and hasn't gotten much in return. Not that that is necessary.

The country is pretty much over.

revolutionary8
11-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Haiku for Ron Paul:

Run Ron Paul Please Run

Freedom Ringing Souls Seeking

Let The Sun Shine In

Kludge
11-02-2009, 11:39 PM
If he wants. I can't imagine any scenario in which he'd win, but if he's able to increase his press coverage and can encourage a few serious liberty candidates for 2014/2016, it'd be a great victory. I do worry he'd detract from online fundraising abilities of viable candidates in 2012 as he arguably did last year, though. Ron energized and legitimized "Ron Paul Republicans", and the ears of his detractors are finally open as Obama is realized as a "typical" president. I'd definitely donate again if he runs in 2012.

revolutionary8
11-02-2009, 11:48 PM
If he wants. I can't imagine any scenario in which he'd win, but if he's able to increase his press coverage and can encourage a few serious liberty candidates for 2014/2016, it'd be a great victory. I do worry he'd detract from online fundraising abilities of viable candidates in 2012 as he arguably did last year, though. Ron energized and legitimized "Ron Paul Republicans", and the ears of his detractors are finally open as Obama is realized as a "typical" president. I'd definitely donate again if he runs in 2012.

Kludge,
what is your definition of "winning"?
and what do you mean by this:

detract from online fundraising abilities of viable candidates in 2012 as he arguably did last year,
I'm not sure who you are speaking of.

tonesforjonesbones
11-02-2009, 11:48 PM
One more go round for the Liberty movement would be a real shot in the arm. tones

Kludge
11-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Kludge,
what is your definition of "winning"?

Winning his election.

I'm not sure who you are speaking of.

Every new federal-level liberty candidate that ran in 2008 lost. While Ron Paul did group a lot of us together to make fundraising and moneybombs easier in the future, when his race was in the spotlight, I think our congressional candidates were neglected. We did have some events like the Liberty Straw Poll on Constitution Day, but even then, the fundraising totals were far lower than expected, and pitiful compared to fundraising of this year. Without Ron Paul taking all the attention, the community is able to focus on Rand (and, to a lesser extent, Schiff and Kokesh).

TheConstitutionLives
11-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I had assumed everyone here was for this, but now I'm noticing a lot of people who don't think it's a good idea. I'm just curious what the poll results will be.

- Use your search feature. This poll was taken a week or so ago.

Oh, and Ron would not come close to winning, unfortunately. He's more effective on the outside at this point anyway. He does not need to run and make a laughing stock out of himself and the movement when he performs only somewhat better than he did last year. Plus, the guy will be 77. It sucks but that's too old even if he were a mainstream candidate.

revolutionary8
11-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Winning his election.

Every new federal-level liberty candidate that ran in 2008 lost. While Ron Paul did group a lot of us together to make fundraising and moneybombs easier in the future, when his race was in the spotlight, I think our congressional candidates were neglected. We did have some events like the Liberty Straw Poll on Constitution Day, but even then, the fundraising totals were far lower than expected, and pitiful compared to fundraising of this year. Without Ron Paul taking all the attention, the community is able to focus on Rand (and, to a lesser extent, Schiff and Kokesh).

I see what you are saying Kludge. Thank you for your kind response.
I think it was worth it b/c if it weren't for Ron Paul, the Peter Schiff's wouldn't have gotten the support that they did... Kinda like "the broken window theory" in Austrian Eco...

As to your definition of winning, I feel I am wayyyy beyond dots on the Diebold. :)

sevin
11-03-2009, 07:57 AM
- Use your search feature. This poll was taken a week or so ago.

My bad, I guess I missed that.

Okay, so it seems some of the people I noticed speaking out against him running are just a vocal minority.

bobbyw24
11-03-2009, 07:59 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=217302&highlight=momentum

itshappening
11-03-2009, 08:20 AM
No, Ron is too old and the people he appoints are incompetent and couldnt run a presidential campaign if they had all the money in the world. it's futile in my opinion

pacelli
11-03-2009, 08:23 AM
If he wants to run to win, yes. If he wants to run another educational movement (despite the very decent results that has brought) not on my dime. I still realize that he is an outside shot to win, but I don;t want any of this switching focus to save his House seat, He needs to run to win the presidency, or run to be a Congressman.

My thoughts exactly. I can't afford to pay for public education, but I'll support him in other ways if he runs again.

Thrashertm
11-03-2009, 08:44 AM

I voted yes. I will support him for sure. I will donate to the campaign if it hires professionals experienced in running presidential campaigns. 2008's effort was pathetic.

If Ron doesn't run, he'd better endorse someone capable of bearing the flag of liberty.

Thrashertm
11-03-2009, 08:45 AM
I voted yes, but I have mixed emotions about this.

I don't want another educational movement either. He'll likely surround himself with people who still don't have a clue how to run a campaign.

I'm probably more interested in him running for Texas Governor or that Texas Senate seat.

1. We need SOMEONE in the US presidential race that supports our views.
2. Rand needs to run for President, if he wins in KY.
3. Schiff should stay in the Senate, don't run for President EVER.
4. Ron Paul needs to either stay put or run for TX Senate.

Why shouldn't Schiff run for pres? He has the charisma that both Ron and Rand lack, which, looking at Obama, is critical to winning.

Thrashertm
11-03-2009, 08:47 AM
No, Ron is too old and the people he appoints are incompetent and couldnt run a presidential campaign if they had all the money in the world. it's futile in my opinion

I agree. I'm only donating if he hires someone like James Carville - a real hired gun that knows all the dirty tricks and has media access. Remember when Huckabee hired Reagan's former campaign manager Ed Rollins? It gave Huckabee instant credibility and access with the media.

Elwar
11-03-2009, 09:18 AM
I hope he runs if he's going to go at it full bore.

Ideally I'd love to see Schiff and Rand win their senate seat and then have a Johnson/Rand ticket in 2012...