PDA

View Full Version : Man tazed, beaten, arm broken for washing his hands

Anti Federalist
11-02-2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_13686438?source=most_emailed

Watch the video starting at 4:55 for the story.

"Thugs with badges"

Scott Wright was fixing the emergency brake on an old Cadillac in a parking lot near Willow Glen last year when the San Jose police rolled up. Within minutes, he had been shot with a Taser and beaten with batons, breaking his arm.

The cause of the trouble? Wright reached into his van to wash his greasy hands.

Police said they feared he was going for a weapon, but no weapon was found. Wright was charged with resisting arrest, but the district attorney dismissed the case before it got to trial.

What happened to Wright is no isolated event. Hundreds of times a year interactions between San Jose police and residents where no serious crime has occurred escalate into violence.

Many times the reason for the encounter is as innocuous as jaywalking, missing bike head lamps, or failing to signal a turn. But often, as the incidents develop, police determine the suspect is uncooperative and potentially violent and strike the first blow.

tpreitzel
11-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Looks like Las Vegas and San Jose have an exchange program for police officers.

catdd
11-02-2009, 08:06 AM
I don't know if the cops are really as scared as they make out or simply use "fear" as an excuse to be assholes.

TinCanToNA
11-02-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't know if the cops are really as scared as they make out or simply use "fear" as an excuse to be assholes.

Just put yourself in their shoes, and you'll know the answer. They train to possibilities, including most extreme cases. The fear is very likely real. They aren't really trained for casual encounters, I think. That's more of an OJT thing. Just guessing at this one.

catdd
11-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Things were not this way when I grew up. This is just a new 0 tolerance mentality which is fueling a growing resentment towards the police.
What did they do before tazers? And why the beating after being tasered?
I bet you'd be singing a different tune if it happened to you.

Catatonic
11-02-2009, 10:36 AM

I've watched some of the training videos shown to new police officers and if the rest of their training is anything like what I watched, they're legitimatly terrified of everyone and everything.

I'm sure its different in every precinct and I don't remember which state the video I saw was from, but they basically tell cops that every citizen they encounter is armed and is going to try to kill them.

JK/SEA
11-02-2009, 10:44 AM
So the message is that when you encounter a cops(s), it is a wise thing to become instantly terrified and beg to not be beaten or killed....?.....

Car 54 where are you?...

New Law enforcement slogan: Dominance and Submission.

TinCanToNA
11-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Things were not this way when I grew up. This is just a new 0 tolerance mentality which is fueling a growing resentment towards the police.
What did they do before tazers? And why the beating after being tasered?
I bet you'd be singing a different tune if it happened to you.

I don't think you interpreted what I said correctly. I was offering an explanation, not an endorsement or condoning what they did. It is the training, in combination with the adrenaline-fueled environment, that leads to this sort of thing most often. It's also the lack of real consequences. If every police officer were punished for the crimes they committed, this sort of thing would be incredibly rare.

catdd
11-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I don't think you interpreted what I said correctly. I was offering an explanation, not an endorsement or condoning what they did. It is the training, in combination with the adrenaline-fueled environment, that leads to this sort of thing most often. It's also the lack of real consequences. If every police officer were punished for the crimes they committed, this sort of thing would be incredibly rare.

I thought about this the rest of the afternoon at work and knew that I owed you an apology. I didn't give your post adequate thought before replying.

catdd
11-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I've watched some of the training videos shown to new police officers and if the rest of their training is anything like what I watched, they're legitimatly terrified of everyone and everything.

I'm sure its different in every precinct and I don't remember which state the video I saw was from, but they basically tell cops that every citizen they encounter is armed and is going to try to kill them.

It's crazy that citizens have to pay the price for their neurosis.
But the only way they are justified in doing that kind of thing is when they are in "fear of their life". I still think it could just be a convenient excuse.

phill4paul
11-02-2009, 04:43 PM
California Penal Code section 148, "Get out of jail free card"

Catatonic
11-02-2009, 04:52 PM
It's crazy that citizens have to pay the price for their neurosis.
But the only way they are justified in doing that kind of thing is when they are in "fear of their life". I still think it could just be a convenient excuse.

I'm sure they eventually realize their training was BS but get a taste for it so it becomes a convienant excuse.

phill4paul
11-02-2009, 05:00 PM
New goon squad credo: "Taze 'em all, let the courts sort it out."

mjgleaton
11-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Looks like I am going to have to be careful next time I'm washing my hands in San Jose.

catdd
11-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Let them keep it up. Sooner or later they are going to touch off a major incident with these tactics.
I honestly believe they are being trained to think of people as nothing more than common farm animals to be beaten, prodded and put down at their discretion. I wonder where they get that notion?

JK/SEA
11-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Hmmm...makes one wonder what the real story is here with this one.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Search-Continues-For-Officers-Killer-68480857.html

Anti Federalist
11-02-2009, 06:40 PM

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Search-Continues-For-Officers-Killer-68480857.html

Looks like a hit, sounds like a hit...

Geez, would be nice if some of us lowly serfs got such a treacle laced eulogy in the press when gunned down by the state's enforcers.

pcosmar
11-02-2009, 06:45 PM

I would assume that he had pissed someone off.
Who was he doin' on the side ? who was he ripping off ?
Folks don't pull a high profile hit for nothing.

Anti Federalist
11-02-2009, 06:48 PM
I would assume that he had pissed someone off.
Who was he doin' on the side ? who was he ripping off ?
Folks don't pull a high profile hit for nothing.

Who did he bust after taking a bribe?

I agree, this doesn't look "political".

JK/SEA
11-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread,..but..they were both targeted. She got lucky.

This happened a few weeks ago as well.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/411439_arson22.html

I'm calling blowback. My 2 cents.

cradle2graveconservative
11-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Edit

Anti Federalist
11-03-2009, 12:01 PM
//

Danke
11-03-2009, 12:14 PM
AF, someone doesn't like you posting on the affairs of the police state. Another 1 star.

lol

Anti Federalist
11-03-2009, 12:19 PM
AF, someone doesn't like you posting on the affairs of the police state. Another 1 star.

lol

Lulz, maybe it's the shameless self bumping.

:D