PDA

View Full Version : White candidate scrambles vote, attitudes in Atlanta race

bobbyw24
11-01-2009, 02:34 PM
White candidate scrambles vote, attitudes in Atlanta race

Joseph Curl

For decades as white residents fled to the suburbs, Atlanta's black political establishment, led by a string of strong mayors, revived the moribund economy and so revamped the city's image that it earned a national reputation as "Hotlanta."

Ironically, that success - including a winning bid to host the 1996 Summer Olympics and a slew of Fortune 500 companies relocating to the city - has brought white voters flocking back to the city and, for the first time in 36 years, could put a white candidate back in the mayor's office when voters go to the polls Tuesday.

In a race testing racial harmony in Georgia's largest city, some veteran black power brokers say their hold on power is being undercut by their past successes running the city.

OTHER TOP TWT STORIES:
• GOP nominee for New York seat quits race
• Early Va. ballots top those of '05
• Pakistanis laud Clinton's candor
• GOP takes wait-and-see tack on health

"We haven't always gotten the credit for that, no," said former Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young, who oversaw the early days of the city's rebirth during the 1980s. "I brought in 1,100 companies from around the world - $70 billion in private investment - and generated more than a million new jobs.

"But most people think that's automatic, that that would have happened anyway," he said with a laugh.

Black mayors have occupied City Hall since 1973, but this year, a white City Council member is leading in the polls, even though two black civic leaders urged black voters to unite against her.

Mary Norwood, who has served on the Atlanta City Council for eight years and lives in the upscale, mostly white neighborhood of Buckhead, has been expanding her lead over the past six weeks. In a poll released last weekend by Survey USA, 46 percent of respondents said they would vote for Mrs. Norwood over several black candidates. State Sen. Kasim Reed followed with 26 percent and City Council President Lisa Borders came in third with 17 percent.

The contest is posing some delicate questions for a city that has long prided itself on its progressive racial attitudes - the "city too busy to hate."

While some in the majority-black city insist race is playing no role in the election, others say the issue is just under the surface.

"I suspect for many voters, maybe all voters, race would be something they would think about, and although it's not the only factor, for some voters it is the determining factor," said University of Georgia political science professor Charles Bullock.

The Survey USA poll found Mrs. Norwood leading by a 6-to-1 margin among whites, Republicans and independents. Mr. Reed, who has been endorsed by Mr. Young, leads among blacks, who made up 59 percent of the electorate in Survey USA's turnout model.

And in a major break with past elections, a separate Insider Advantage poll on Oct. 16 reported that Mrs. Norwood was even leading among the city's black voters, with nearly one-third supporting her.

With six candidates on the Nov. 3 ballot and two write-in candidates, many do not expect any candidate to win a majority of the votes on Election Day, which means the top two finishers would compete in a runoff on Dec. 1.

But with only a few campaigning days left, Mrs. Norwood is nearing 50 percent in the polls and could win an outright victory on Tuesday.

In the 1960s and '70s, whites fled the city, with the black percentage of the population soaring to about 70 percent in the 1980s.

But between 2000 and 2006, Atlanta's white population grew faster than that of any other U.S. city, according to the Brookings Institution. In 2000, Atlanta was 33 percent white and 61 percent black. In 2007, the numbers were 38 percent white and 57 percent black, according to U.S. Census data.

"Black voters have been moving further and further out of Atlanta, and whites who wanted to be closer to work have been moving in," Mr. Bullock said, noting that the city has grown by 100,000 residents since 2000.

Political power and race have a long, tangled history in the Georgia capital. The divisions reached new heights in 1973, when Maynard Jackson, a Democrat, ran for mayor.

Mr. Jackson targeted his campaign to blacks, who less than a decade earlier had won the full, unrestricted right to vote. He demanded that the city's white business elite open their doors to minorities and urged strict new affirmative-action policies to level the playing field for blacks.

The election of the first black mayor in a major Southern city solidified the voting power of urban blacks in Atlanta, and the city has elected black mayors ever since.

But this year's race has not split neatly along racial lines, as some prominent black politicians have stepped out to support Mrs. Norwood.

State Rep. Ralph Long last month endorsed Mrs. Norwood, who hails from the center of his heavily black southwest Atlanta district. He was the first black leader to back the white candidate.

Mr. Long said his endorsement was based on Mrs. Norwood's support of a local police chief and her call to develop blighted areas that remain in the city. But he was also a bit perturbed by a memo written by two Clark Atlanta University professors, which sent shock waves through the city.

The memo, written by political science professors William Boone and Keith Jennings, warned that black Atlantans need to act quickly to thwart a Norwood victory and maintain black political control of the top job in the city.

"With the 'Black Mayor First' approach, there is an unstated assumption that having a black mayor in Atlanta is equal to having a black social, economic and political agenda, or at least someone in office who would be sensitive to that agenda if not a full promoter of that agenda," the memo said.

The ad hoc group, called the Black Leadership Forum, suggested that blacks unite around Mrs. Borders, calling her the most electable black candidate. That didn't sit well with Mr. Long.

"You speak for no one," Mr. Long said in a letter to the group. "There are no masses of black voters waiting with bated breath to hear from you who the anointed candidate will be."

Black candidates in the race - including Mr. Reed and Mrs. Borders - also moved swiftly to distance themselves from the memo.

Mrs. Norwood, who describes herself as "purple" fiscal conservative - halfway between Republican red and Democratic blue - also sought to move past the issue of race. In a campaign event last month, flanked by mostly black supporters, she renewed her commitment to represent the entire city.

"Quite honestly, the race issue has died here in Atlanta because there are more pressing issues," said Oglethorpe University politics professor Kendra King, who has extensively analyzed the city's politics.

Mr. Young, the former mayor, agreed.

"I don't think there has been many racial overtones," he said. "Atlanta has a reputation of voting for progressive white people. Atlanta's black community has been willing to vote for the person they think is the most competent."

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/01/white-candidate-scrambles-vote-attitudes-in-atlant/

Epic
11-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Black mayors have occupied City Hall since 1973, but this year, a white City Council member is leading in the polls, even though two black civic leaders urged black voters to unite against her.

Only black people can get away with this....

imagine if a white "leader" urged white people to not vote for the black guy...

evilfunnystuff
11-01-2009, 02:45 PM
"I suspect for many voters, maybe all voters, race would be something they would think about, and although it's not the only factor, for some voters it is the determining factor," said University of Georgia political science professor Charles Bullock.

so fucking sad

jmdrake
11-01-2009, 03:05 PM
The Survey USA poll found Mrs. Norwood leading by a 6-to-1 margin among whites, Republicans and independents. Mr. Reed, who has been endorsed by Mr. Young, leads among blacks, who made up 59 percent of the electorate in Survey USA's turnout model.

So much for the "only blacks vote along racial lines" myth some here want to propagate. :rolleyes:

Are there any actual policy differences worth noting in the race (no pun intended)? Is Mrs. Norwood promising to cut taxes for instance?

Epic
11-01-2009, 03:15 PM

So much for the "only blacks vote along racial lines" myth some here want to propagate. :rolleyes:

Are there any actual policy differences worth noting in the race (no pun intended)? Is Mrs. Norwood promising to cut taxes for instance?

It said whites, republicans, and independents - not just whites.

BlackTerrel
11-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Not that familiar with local politics but I have had nothing but great experiences in Atlanta, with both black and white people. My guess is that most people will vote on who they think is the best candidate for the city as a whole, not on racial lines.

jmdrake
11-01-2009, 04:40 PM

:rolleyes: So? Most blacks are democrats too. That doesn't stop some race baiters from trying to make an issue out of blacks voting for Obama. People love spinning the same facts every which way but loose to push their own narrow minded agenda.

This is simply politics as usually with the twist of whites being in the minority. Notice that there's no other major white candidate running. Why is that? No other qualified white people in Atlanta to run for mayor? Or a simple acknowledgment that with 59 percent black voters, 2 white candidates will split the vote to where neither one can win even if whites still vote for the two white candidates "6 to 1"? And if you think white "civic leaders" don't give hints not to split the vote then you're kidding yourself.

Regards,

John M. Drake

BlackTerrel
11-01-2009, 05:58 PM
:rolleyes: So? Most blacks are democrats too. That doesn't stop some race baiters from trying to make an issue out of blacks voting for Obama. People love spinning the same facts every which way but loose to push their own narrow minded agenda.

This is simply politics as usually with the twist of whites being in the minority. Notice that there's no other major white candidate running. Why is that? No other qualified white people in Atlanta to run for mayor? Or a simple acknowledgment that with 59 percent black voters, 2 white candidates will split the vote to where neither one can win even if whites still vote for the two white candidates "6 to 1"? And if you think white "civic leaders" don't give hints not to split the vote then you're kidding yourself.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Yep. You pretty much nailed it.

angelatc
11-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Not that familiar with local politics but I have had nothing but great experiences in Atlanta, with both black and white people. My guess is that most people will vote on who they think is the best candidate for the city as a whole, not on racial lines.

Oh. My. God.

So if a white person says anything that you believe to be remotely racist, we're supposed to ostracize them in perpetuity.

If a black person says something overtly racist, people are smart enough to overlook it .

WTF?

moostraks
11-01-2009, 06:47 PM

Actually there was no comma between Republicans and independants so they were referring to whites-republicans and independants-unless it was a typo. That would be a serious typo and not indicated considering the next statement was referring to blacks apparently not delineated by party lines...

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Oh. My. God.

So if a white person says anything that you believe to be remotely racist, we're supposed to ostracize them in perpetuity.

If a black person says something overtly racist, people are smart enough to overlook it .

WTF?

Hypocrisy. I don't give much time to people who espouse this racial non-sense. Some people still believe we live in the 1880s when it is 2009. Sad, right? Victicrat! Hahaha.

WClint
11-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh. My. God.

WTF?

Dont you know only whites can be "racist". Only whites are not a "protected class". Die-versity is our strength quoth the Marxist.

LiveLeak.com - Whites Not A Protected Class (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4fd_1255563472)

moostraks
11-01-2009, 06:53 PM

Alanta votes along racial lines and this is well known by anyone with any experience regarding politics down there. They want someone who 'represents' them in positions of power. It is very segregated by race and money in those parts and you don't get out of line to be 'different'. The people identify and are identified by what area they reside in...

jmdrake
11-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Oh. My. God.

WTF?

:rolleyes: Goodness, we should take up a collection and let you and BT get a room.

For the record I saw nowhere that he said or implied to "overlook" black racism. (And the article didn't even quote any particular "civic leader). His point was that the people of Atlanta would (in his opinion) would overlook racial issues. He doesn't think the whites who are voting 6-1 against all the black candidates are racist either. You should be happy.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-01-2009, 07:32 PM
:rolleyes: Goodness, we should take up a collection and let you and BT get a room.

For the record I saw nowhere that he said or implied to "overlook" black racism. (And the article didn't even quote any particular "civic leader). His point was that the people of Atlanta would (in his opinion) would overlook racial issues. He doesn't think the whites who are voting 6-1 against all the black candidates are racist either. You should be happy.

Why wouldn't he condemn the black leaders calling for their constituents to vote purely on race? I condemn David Duke and other such people for their remarks. With BT's other posts in other threads along this line he clearly calls out anyone who is white who does such things. Go look at his post history. The omission of condemnation here is telling. Take that as you will.

You'll see me all the time do this. "What a baffoon" "Is this guy serious?", etc.

However, I think this transcends mere race. It is Race + Party. As you see across the country the general consensus (As a generalization) within the black community are that black republicans, black libertarians, etc. are uncle toms. I think there is a serious fundamental issue when one ethnicity votes 90+% to one party. It's their right of association, which I wholly support, but the reasons for this are suspect and are in direct association with the Welfare State.

jmdrake
11-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Why wouldn't he condemn the black leaders calling for their constituents to vote purely on race? I condemn David Duke and other such people for their remarks.

1) The article didn't even name the "black leaders".

2) The article didn't actually give the actual quotes.

Really, if some black preacher somewhere said "Candidates A, B and C all stand for the same issues so B and C should drop out not to split the vote" that would be the same thing.

You'll see me all the time do this. "What a baffoon" "Is this guy serious?", etc.

Well good for you.

However, I think this transcends mere race. It is Race + Party. As you see across the country the general consensus (As a generalization) within the black community are that black republicans, black libertarians, etc. are uncle toms.

Tony Brown isn't. Nobody complained when he joined the GOP. And nobody said "I told you so" when he left the GOP due to its hypocrisy. It seems some around here are anxious to have other blacks join him. :(

BlackTerrel
11-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Oh. My. God.

WTF?

What are you on? How did you possibly infer that from what I said?

BlackTerrel
11-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Why wouldn't he condemn the black leaders calling for their constituents to vote purely on race? I condemn David Duke and other such people for their remarks. With BT's other posts in other threads along this line he clearly calls out anyone who is white who does such things. Go look at his post history. The omission of condemnation here is telling. Take that as you will.

First of all, if you look at my history I have spoken against racism across the board, including Farrakhan and Nation Of Islam types who I have had the misfortune of coming across in real life.

As was previously said I did not see the actual quote, and who was to have said it so I left it alone. If someone told black people to vote solely on race then of course I would condemn it - but I'd like to see it first.

My general impression in Atlanta is that race relations are actually quite good (at least among young people) and that is not the impression that I got from the article.

Austrian Econ Disciple
11-01-2009, 09:44 PM
First of all, if you look at my history I have spoken against racism across the board, including Farrakhan and Nation Of Islam types who I have had the misfortune of coming across in real life.

As was previously said I did not see the actual quote, and who was to have said it so I left it alone. If someone told black people to vote solely on race then of course I would condemn it - but I'd like to see it first.

My general impression in Atlanta is that race relations are actually quite good (at least among young people) and that is not the impression that I got from the article.

Fair enough. I'm just tired of hearing race at every turn, so I've made it a little solution of mine to point out hypocrisy at every turn. Cheers.

Epic
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Look it's not a surprise that republicans and independents would favor the more conservative candidate (the white one).

bobbyw24
11-04-2009, 06:26 AM
ATLANTA -- An Atlanta councilwoman could become the city's first white mayor in a generation, facing off against a black state senator in a runoff next month.

With 100 percent of the precincts reporting early Wednesday, Mary Norwood received 46 percent of the vote, compared to Sen. Kasim Reed at 36 percent, with 78,324 of the city's 237,000 registered voters casting ballots. City Council president Lisa Borders was a distant third with 14.5 percent and conceded late Tuesday.

Norwood did not get 50 percent of the vote plus one to avoid a runoff. Voter turnout was about 33 percent of registered voters, higher than the 22 percent who voted in 2005 but less than the 41 percent who voted in 2001.

Norwood, Reed and Borders were the front-runners in the crowded field for much of the campaign and battled for weeks over public safety and open government, as the issue of race loomed over the contest. Political observers say the race will continue to polarize voters along racial lines in the weeks before an anticipated Dec. 1 runoff.

Borders thanked supporters at her Election Night headquarters downtown.

"I am conceding the race," Borders said about three hours after the polls close. "I'm not going to talk about endorsements tonight."

Norwood sounded upbeat.

"I am really focused on this city and our citizens and the issues that matter to our citizens," Norwood said. "So I have been totally focused on winning this campaign tonight or 27 days from now. This has been a totally unified, united campaign across the city and that's what I have wanted and that's what it is."

Reed, whose momentum has swelled in recent weeks, told cheering supporters he was "ready to go for this city."

"I will fight for you," Reed told the crowd. "I will stand up for you and we will make Atlanta the city on a hill again."

Atlanta has had a long line of black mayors since 1973. Current Mayor Shirley Franklin, the city's first female in the office, was barred from seeking a third term.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/03/crowded-race-atlanta-mayor-close/

bobbyw24
11-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Mary Norwood swept predominantly white precincts of the city Tuesday, and also found support in key black precincts, while former state senator Kasim Reed dominated his base in southwest Atlanta and had a strong showing in predominantly black areas of northwest and west Atlanta.

City Council President Lisa Borders saw support collapse throughout the city, giving her a weak third-place showing.

Story continues below ↓

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/racial-lines-define-results-185454.html

catdd
11-05-2009, 07:13 AM
With many Blacks voting in favor of Norwood this could be a good sign. This could signal that people are beginning to wake up and vote for policies rather than superficialities.
"If you don't do the right things - you don't get the job".