PDA

View Full Version : I need help creating a PAC type questionare.

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 10:52 AM
I've done work for PACs as an interviewer of candidates.
I plan to interview candidates running against Mel Watt and I need a survery of questions to ask.

I'd like to have everyone's input on devising the questionare.

There were a couple subjects I think should be touched-

Do you support the military commision act? if so, what part of habeas corpus do you disagree with?

Do you support Posse Commitatus act? if not, what part of federal balance do you disagree with?

Do you support Real ID act? if so, what part of states rights do you disagree with?

Do you support the Patriot Act? if so, what part of the 4th amendment to the constitution do you disagree with?

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Do you support our current foreign policy of interventionism? if so, what part of Article I of the constitution do you disagree with?

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 01:06 PM
??

ronpaulhawaii
11-01-2009, 01:07 PM
I'm waiting till I see someone online till I ask. Have you surfed online examples from the entire spectrum?

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm waiting till I see someone online till I ask. Have you surfed online examples from the entire spectrum?

I used to give PAC interviews to candidates.
PACs would create questions tailored to their interest.
I'd write the candidates answers down and a board would review which candidates it would support.

Paul Johnson, one of Mel Watts opponents left me a message to call him back.
I'd like to have a survey of questions to ask him to see if he is worth supporting.
The questionare isn't for scientific survey, so leaning/loaded questions are used.
It can be a learning experience for the candidate. Often getting them to think of questions in a different light.

It is used to vet candidates, but it can be used to persuade candidates who aren't firm on certain positions. After all, we do have a fundraising powerhouse group. We can convince candidates to come to our position if they want our support.

We have muscle, we should use it.
if need be- i can post the email i sent to Paul Johnson.

There is also a lp candidate running in the race, but no information is available on him.

Dionysus
11-01-2009, 01:20 PM
This is a great thing you're doing. Sometimes I think we should just hire an actor who is more or less sympathetic to our ideals, and then simply tell him, these are the positions you support, and contractually oblige him to those positions. You know, like Reagan.

Then we could just find someone who looks like Denzel, but who can deliver a speech like Jeremiah Wright, "God DAMN you Mel WATT!"

My one question would be, "Did you support Ron Paul during the 2008 election?"

And then, "Are you planning on supporting Ron Paul in the 2012 election?"

And then, "Do you pledge to vote according to the ideals of Ron Paul?"

And then, "Read this Jeremiah Wright speech with as much passion as you can muster."

And finally, "Do you have a head shot we can have?"

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 01:47 PM
:)

ronpaulhawaii
11-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Maybe if you posted the questions you already have?

KCIndy
11-01-2009, 02:02 PM
My one question would be, "Did you support Ron Paul during the 2008 election?"

And then, "Are you planning on supporting Ron Paul in the 2012 election?"

And then, "Do you pledge to vote according to the ideals of Ron Paul?"

Just keep in mind that not everyone is as familiar with Dr. Paul's positions as we are here. That doesn't make them bad people, it just means we need to keep educating the masses.

I would suggest altering those questions in such a way as to make them about the issues rather than the man. Example: "Would you pledge not to raise taxes? Would you pledge to withdraw troops from unconstitutional foreign wars? Would you support a comprehensive audit of the Federal Reserve?"

We can't expect every potentially good/great candidate to have a firm grasp on "positions ala Paul" but by approaching things this way, we'll have a great chance to make friends and allies for the cause rather than alienating potential candidates.

Let's not dismiss any candidate before we have a chance to educate them and find out if they can "see the light" so to speak.

:)

KCIndy
11-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Paul Johnson, one of Mel Watts opponents left me a message to call him back.
I'd like to have a survey of questions to ask him to see if he is worth supporting.

Hey, Torchbearer - if Paul Johnson expresses an interest in reading "Audit the Fed" I'll be happy to donate a brand new copy. Just let me know.

We have muscle, we should use it.
if need be- i can post the email i sent to Paul Johnson.

I agree! And if you get the chance to post the email, I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in seeing it.

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I agree! And if you get the chance to post the email, I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in seeing it.

here:

Dear Sir,

I'm contacting you on behalf of Liberty Movement- in particular- the guys from http://www.libertyforest.com
We recieved word tonight that Mr. Watts has gutted Ron Paul's bill HR1207 that would allow for the first ever independent audit of the federal reserve.
This move has angered many americans, and the word is just getting out.

We have discussed options of possibly funding your race in the same magnitude that we have with Dr. Rand Paul and Peter Schiff- both of whom have raised over a million dollars each from our grassroots movement.

Our hesitation with supporting anyone is knowing their dedication to the U.S. Constitution and to the advice of our founders.
We have some upcoming fundraising events, and we may decide to include you in those moneybombs.

If possible, i'd like to talk to you over the phone to see if you are indeed someone who is worthy of our support.
It would be our greatest desire to remove Watts from office, and at the very least- expose him for what he has done.

You can reach my at my personal cell- xxx-xxx-xxxx(call anytime)
or you can send me contact info and a good time to call.

I look forward to hearing from you.

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 02:30 PM
Maybe if you posted the questions you already have?

i did in the first two post.

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 03:08 PM
important thread bump

Imperial
11-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Haha you probably have him drooling at the mouth by waving "1 million dollars" in front of his face.

BTW, searching paul johnson and mel watts has this thread #1 in google.

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Haha you probably have him drooling at the mouth by waving "1 million dollars" in front of his face.

BTW, searching paul johnson and mel watts has this thread #1 in google.

:) cool.
I know that deep in a Marine's heart is the constitution. I think he may have potential.
otherwise, i wouldn't bother.

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 03:41 PM
I need any questions people would have of a candidate in order to support them.
members here are our "board".

i will need to call him tonight. i'd like to be able to give a firm yes or no on a recommendation for support by tomorrow.

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 03:55 PM
come on guys, i know I haven't covered all the questions.
this could be our opportunity to change elections- i am volunteering to do the labor.
i just want to make sure i have all the questions and concerns of this forum's membership covered.

KCIndy
11-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I know that deep in a Marine's heart is the constitution. I think he may have potential.
otherwise, i wouldn't bother.

Agreed.

As a Marine he will have sworn to uphold and defend the Constitution.

One suggestion/warning/advice/whatever - In talking to some military and retired military guys, I've noticed a particular "minefield" to watch for when discussing Iraq, Afghanistan and the like. Many of the military seem conditioned to write off anyone who urges a withdrawal of overseas forces as "left wing commie/hippie" types.... UNTIL I make it clear that I'm discussing things from a Constitutional perspective.

If I get the sense my conversant believes me to be a pinko-commie-troop-hating hippie, I try to ground the conversation in the terms someone of a military background might relate to:

I make the point that it is the role of Congress, not the President, to declare war. I follow up with the fact that in my opinion, the U.S. government has failed to do all it can and should do to support our military. (Look at how long Obama has waffled about sending more troops to Afghanistan, despite a direct request from his commander in the field!) I try to include Ron Paul's point that maintaining the sort of overseas presence we are doing is quickly helping to bankrupt the nation. I usually top it off by mentioning a few of the domestic bases here in the states that have been closed, and the horrific impact said closures have had on the local economy. Then I speculate a little about why we still have such large military bases in countries like Germany, Italy, and Japan, and why we're supporting *those* local economies when most of those personnel could be staged just as easily stateside, thereby supporting local economies in the United States.

It takes a while for some people to really "get it." But when they do, the light really comes on. And there's one thing I found truly encouraging over the last couple of years. My job occasionally takes me onto military bases. During the '08 election and even since then, I've seen more Ron Paul bumper stickers on the cars of our military than every other politician combined. Every time I see one, I get this big, addled smile on my face, and I'm sure people wonder what I find so funny.
:o

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh, in the interviews, there is no tight-rope walking on my part.
I must know where he stands- not where I stand.
I actually have experience doing this kind of stuff.

we could give this guy a fighting chance in the election, and he knows that.

KCIndy
11-01-2009, 04:20 PM
come on guys, i know I haven't covered all the questions.
this could be our opportunity to change elections- i am volunteering to do the labor.
i just want to make sure i have all the questions and concerns of this forum's membership covered.

Torch, I think you've covered most of the big ones: Patriot Act, Posse Commitatus, Real ID, foreign intervention, military commission act, (you might want to give him a little background info from a "liberty" perspective on the last couple so he'll know you're not bashing the military, see my previous post)

Only things I can think to add would be some info on the Federal Reserve and HR1207 (as I mentioned, if he's interested I'll supply a brand new copy of "Audit the Fed" if he'll read it) and perhaps his positions on the IRS and drug decriminalization... but frankly, in this particular case, I think I would be willing to overlook a few points of disagreement with the guy as long as he's on our side for the big stuff. After all, even among the liberty candidates we're already supporting, there are some minor points of disagreement. That's never kept me from sending in a donation.

I figure if I can agree with 80-90 percent of a candidate's positions, and - MOST IMPORTANT - if he/she appears to be an honest person with their heart in the right place, I'm gonna support that person over an entrenched, "me-first!" politician whose first priority is to stay in office.

I would dearly love to see Mel Watts take it on the chin in '10, and for me, that's worth a donation to a candidate even if he's not 100% on the Ron Paul platform. Besides, we can always continue to "educate" someone once they're in office!!
:D

Torchbearer, thanks for doing the heavy lifting! It is very much appreciated!!
<salute!>

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Torch, I think you've covered most of the big ones: Patriot Act, Posse Commitatus, Real ID, foreign intervention, military commission act, (you might want to give him a little background info from a "liberty" perspective on the last couple so he'll know you're not bashing the military, see my previous post)

Only things I can think to ad would be some info on the Federal Reserve and HR1207 (as I mentioned, if he's interested I'll supply a brand new copy of "Audit the Fed" if he'll read it) and perhaps his positions on the IRS and drug decriminalization... but frankly, in this particular case, I think I would be willing to overlook a few points of disagreement with the guy as long as he's on our side for the big stuff. After all, even among the liberty candidates we're already supporting, there are some minor points of disagreement. That's never kept me from sending in a donation.

I figure if I can agree with 80-90 percent of a candidate's positions, and - MOST IMPORTANT - if he/she appears to be an honest person with their heart in the right place, I'm gonna support that person over an entrenched, "me-first!" politician whose first priority is to stay in office.

I would dearly love to see Mel Watt take it on the chin in '10, and for me, that's worth a donation to a candidate even if he's not 100% on the Ron Paul platform. Besides, we can always continue to "educate" someone once they're in office!!
:D

Torchbearer, thanks for doing the heavy lifting! It is very much appreciated!!
<salute!>

If they are in office because of our money, they will be beholden to us.

KCIndy
11-01-2009, 04:23 PM
If they are in office because of our money, they will be beholden to us.

Well, frankly... yes.

But I thought "educate" made such a sweet euphemism... :)

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, frankly... yes.

But I thought "educate" made such a sweet euphemism... :)

we are really the indivudual's PAC.
want congress to be beholden to the people's money for elections- join our moneybombs.

The Ron Paul presidential campaign has yeilded more for us than we have yet imagined.

Imperial
11-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Should HR 1207, the groundbreaking legislation to allow a full audit of the Federal Reserve, be passed in its original form or in its amended form in the vision of Mel Watts?

If you had a magic wand to eliminate a massive chunk of the federal budget, what would you specifically cut?

Would you support pulling out from military bases where no clear threat to US interests and lives remains, including Italy and Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean?

What books in politics have interested you?

Would you support reform of our archaic drug laws, which pack our prisons with nonviolent offenders and strain our resources further?

IPSecure
11-01-2009, 04:48 PM
"God DAMN you Mel WATT!"
[/URL]
[URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=%22God+DAMN+you+Mel+WATT%21%22"]Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22God+DAMN+you+Mel+WATT%21%22)

:eek: :D

Torch:

All I can think of (other than what has already been posted...) would be 'Are you beholden to the people, or to the party?'

torchbearer
11-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Should HR 1207, the groundbreaking legislation to allow a full audit of the Federal Reserve, be passed in its original form or in its amended form in the vision of Mel Watts?

If you had a magic wand to eliminate a massive chunk of the federal budget, what would you specifically cut?

Would you support pulling out from military bases where no clear threat to US interests and lives remains, including Italy and Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean?

Would you support reform of our archaic drug laws, which pack our prisons with nonviolent offenders and strain our resources further?

yes! this is good stuff.
you word the questions better than I do.
please keep the ideas coming...

ronpaulhawaii
11-01-2009, 05:59 PM

This looks to be shaping up well :)

Re; the pull troops question; Diego Garcia is one of the most strategic in the naval world. I would put it on the list towards the last to be made obsolete and would start with redundant bases that are simply subsidizing foreign towns...

KCIndy
11-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Re; the pull troops question; Diego Garcia is one of the most strategic in the naval world. I would put it on the list towards the last to be made obsolete and would start with redundant bases that are simply subsidizing foreign towns...

Agreed - see my earlier post in this thread about base closings here in the U.S. versus leaving open huge bases overseas. In Germany, especially, these bases inject huge amounts of cash into the local economies of Germany. Many of these base functions could be replicated stateside with no loss of effectiveness.

Imperial
11-01-2009, 06:34 PM
This looks to be shaping up well :)

Sorry, I get pissed about that one cuz we stood by as the British kicked out all the natives that lived there. And it is one of the most secretive bases in the world.

Just sub in Germany for Diego Garcia.

LibertyMage
11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Sorry if some of these are repeat questions.

Property rights:
Do you support imminent domain?
Do you support limits on executive compensation?
Do you support "network neutrality"?

Individual Responsibility:
How do you feel the drug war has played out and in which direction would you take it?
In what cases should gambling be legal and in what cases should it be illegal or licensed?

Economic Intervention:
How do you feel the stimulus has worked out?
How do you feel about cash for clunkers?
What parts of the economy should be regulated?

Sovereignty:
To what degree do you support states rights?
In which cases do you think international law should take priority over U.S. legislation?

Protection against search and seizure:
Do you support the Patriot Act?
Do you support the Protect America Act?
Do you support the Cyber Security Act?

And I'm spent.

torchbearer
11-02-2009, 09:47 AM
i came up with a few starter questions-

have you been in politics before?
why did you decide to run?
how familiar are you with the text of the us constitution?
How familiar are you with the letters of the founding fathers?

torchbearer
11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
i'm calling Johnson in about 5 hours. if anyone want any other issues addressed, please post them before then.

torchbearer
11-02-2009, 03:20 PM
last call.