PDA

View Full Version : Should B.J. Lawson Sue George Hutchins?

RonPaulFanInGA
11-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Seriously, this is way over-the-top and uncalled for. I cannot believe this guy is actually a real (http://www.opensecrets.org/races/election.php?state=NC) republican candidate for office in North Carolina.

h ttp://www.georgehutchins.com/hutchins-4-us-congress-6.htm

http://i34.tinypic.com/rljehh.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/qsvccl.jpg

teacherone
11-01-2009, 07:23 AM
lol gay male homosexual...

gotta use that one....

"that's so gay male homosexual"

jmdrake
11-01-2009, 07:47 AM
lol gay male homosexual...

gotta use that one....

"that's so gay male homosexual"

LOL

As far as the title, no he probably wouldn't win on a lawsuit. Political speech is given extra deference when it come to libel laws. More import, are the "allegations" true? I like the fact that he doesn't support the patriot act. I've not seen a position from him on gay marriage one way or the other. The best way to deal with it is to clarify his position.

Unfortunately people who run around claiming you must support gay marriage or abortion to be a "liberty candidate" don't help matters. :( Some even made that false claim about Dr. Paul. They ignore the fact that he supported the "defense of marriage act" and hang their entire argument about his support of the "right to contract". So? There are all kinds of contracts. And two people can enforce most of the "rights" of marriage just using contracts without resorting to marriage or "civil unions".

Here's what B.J. Lawson should do in response to this attack if it actually gets some traction. If he actually supports gay marriage he should say so. If he doesn't he should say so. Dr. Paul's position is that it's a states rights issue. If a state wants to allow gay marriage fine. If they don't then neither the federal government nor state judges should be able to force it on a state. Gay marriage is only allowable if passed by referendum or through the state legislature. I had to deal with this when campaigning for Dr. Paul in 2008 at a pro life rally. This woman said "I can't support Dr. Paul because he supports gay marriage". My response? "Dr. Paul's position on gay marriage is the same as your position on pro life. He wants it left up to the states. In Tennessee you wouldn't have to worry about gay marriage under Dr. Paul's view because it would never pass."

Regards,

John M. Drake

pacelli
11-01-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm pretty sure that BJ has decided to NOT run for the 2010 congressional election.

Incidentally this guy isn't picking his audience- Wake and Orange county NC is basically the LGBT capital of the state. If Lawson had the LGBT vote locked, he would win in a landslide.

Jeremy
11-01-2009, 08:20 AM
It's not like this guy is the main candidate or something. He looks like a crazy person. BJ said he couldn't endorse the GOP candidate because he supports the Federal Reserve. This crazy guy wouldn't seek Lawson's endorsement like the other candidate did.

RonPaulFanInGA
11-01-2009, 08:25 AM
It's not like this guy is the main candidate or something. He looks like a crazy person. BJ said he couldn't endorse the GOP candidate because he supports the Federal Reserve. This crazy guy wouldn't seek Lawson's endorsement like the other candidate did.

There are only two republicans running against Price currently: Hutchins and Frank Roche (http://www.rocheforcongress.com/).

And they each have basically the same cash on hand:

Hutchins: $5,001
Roche: $5,639

Jeremy
11-01-2009, 08:28 AM
I'm sure they both suck, but I think we can agree who will be the winner.

Dreamofunity
11-01-2009, 10:04 AM
I like how he makes reference to "BJ" when talking about gay male homosexuals.

Naraku
11-01-2009, 12:05 PM
I love how it says nothing about gay female homosexuals.

Epic
11-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Lawson isn't even running this time.

RM918
11-01-2009, 12:43 PM
LOL

As far as the title, no he probably wouldn't win on a lawsuit. Political speech is given extra deference when it come to libel laws. More import, are the "allegations" true? I like the fact that he doesn't support the patriot act. I've not seen a position from him on gay marriage one way or the other. The best way to deal with it is to clarify his position.

Unfortunately people who run around claiming you must support gay marriage or abortion to be a "liberty candidate" don't help matters. :( Some even made that false claim about Dr. Paul. They ignore the fact that he supported the "defense of marriage act" and hang their entire argument about his support of the "right to contract". So? There are all kinds of contracts. And two people can enforce most of the "rights" of marriage just using contracts without resorting to marriage or "civil unions".

Here's what B.J. Lawson should do in response to this attack if it actually gets some traction. If he actually supports gay marriage he should say so. If he doesn't he should say so. Dr. Paul's position is that it's a states rights issue. If a state wants to allow gay marriage fine. If they don't then neither the federal government nor state judges should be able to force it on a state. Gay marriage is only allowable if passed by referendum or through the state legislature. I had to deal with this when campaigning for Dr. Paul in 2008 at a pro life rally. This woman said "I can't support Dr. Paul because he supports gay marriage". My response? "Dr. Paul's position on gay marriage is the same as your position on pro life. He wants it left up to the states. In Tennessee you wouldn't have to worry about gay marriage under Dr. Paul's view because it would never pass."

Regards,

John M. Drake

Eh, wouldn't it just be most appropriate to get government out of marriage entirely? Civil unions for everyone, whether you're marrying a guy or a chick or a bicycle, who's business is it for anyone else?

Imperial
11-01-2009, 03:02 PM
It does claim Lawson is actually gay. Maybe he could win a lawsuit on that?

And Ron Paul supported DOMA? Seriously? That is like trampling on federalism and the Constitution.

Imperial
11-01-2009, 03:05 PM
BTW, that Frank Roche guy doesn't look so bad. He seems a little more hawkish than I would like on foreign policy and he support the death penalty, but his abortion, gay marriage, and drug law positions seem pretty rational. His economy positions seem rational enough absent an Austrian alternative.

jmdrake
11-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Eh, wouldn't it just be most appropriate to get government out of marriage entirely? Civil unions for everyone, whether you're marrying a guy or a chick or a bicycle, who's business is it for anyone else?

Or how about keep the federal government out of the marriage business entirely? Leave it up to the states to decide. If your state wants "civil unions for everybody" it's their business. If my state wants something else it's their business. Either we want the federal government to dominate every issue in civil society or we don't.

jmdrake
11-01-2009, 04:55 PM
It does claim Lawson is actually gay. Maybe he could win a lawsuit on that?

I've just read through it 5 times. Nowhere does it say "Lawson is gay". It claims Lawson has "gay male homosexual friends" (as someone else pointed out it seems this particular right wing nut must be fond of lesbians) and it says Lawson "supports gay marriage". While the ad is distasteful, if Lawson has gay friends (who doesn't?) and if he supports gay marriage then it's totally legal. Even if Lawson doesn't support gay marriage it would be tough to win on this in a lawsuit. Think of all of the charges and counter charges that fly around political campaigns about who really does or does not support what.

And Ron Paul supported DOMA? Seriously? That is like trampling on federalism and the Constitution.

The DOMA preserves the rights of states to choose their own destiny on the issue. It actually protects federalism. And here's what Dr. Paul had to say on the issue.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul207.html
If I were in Congress in 1996, I would have voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, which used Congress’s constitutional authority to define what official state documents other states have to recognize under the Full Faith and Credit Clause, to ensure that no state would be forced to recognize a “same sex” marriage license issued in another state. This Congress, I was an original cosponsor of the Marriage Protection Act, HR 3313, that removes challenges to the Defense of Marriage Act from federal courts’ jurisdiction. If I were a member of the Texas legislature, I would do all I could to oppose any attempt by rogue judges to impose a new definition of marriage on the people of my state.

In the same article Dr. Paul said he was against a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

Regards,

John M. Drake

RonPaulFanInGA
11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
That statement about Lawson's father seems lawsuit-worthy to me.

bucfish
11-01-2009, 06:50 PM
bump

jmdrake
11-01-2009, 07:17 PM
That statement about Lawson's father seems lawsuit-worthy to me.

Possible. Especially with the Father not being political figure. But the person who made the page was smart enough to play "Jeopardy" and "frame it as a question".

Here's something that's interesting.

http://www.georgehutchins.com/index.32.jpg

So how long are we going to allow neocons at our tea parties? Remember we started them! (9/11 truthers started them actually, but you get my point).

GunnyFreedom
11-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Hutchins was just censured by the NCGOP Central Committee and the NCGOP Executive Committee today, entirely on account of his website. The NCGOP couldn't bring themselves to say that it was on account of his treatment of BJ Lawson (although that was a primary factor) so they said during debate that it had to do with racism with regards to his treatment of Barack and Michelle Obama. The resolution of censure was vague enough that it certainly covered this treatment of BJ Lawson.

GunnyFreedom
11-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Possible. Especially with the Father not being political figure. But the person who made the page was smart enough to play "Jeopardy" and "frame it as a question".

Here's something that's interesting.

http://www.georgehutchins.com/index.32.jpg

So how long are we going to allow neocons at our tea parties? Remember we started them! (9/11 truthers started them actually, but you get my point).

well, this is supposed to be a free county... see my post above, there is a lot more going on here than what is apparent to people who are not local.

Chester Copperpot
11-21-2009, 11:01 PM
well i could see the obama thing.. Hutchins has pictures of black people picking watermelons in prison garb.... its almost like Fred Thompson...

GunnyFreedom
11-21-2009, 11:14 PM
OK, been a crazy day, I'm running on coffee and the fumes from a 5hr energy. I have a gun show in the AM and I have to crash. will try to catch up tomorrow night