PDA

View Full Version : How a liberal PR guru turned a disc jockey into conservative powerhouse

Liberty Star
10-31-2009, 12:30 PM
A moving story of human advancement in American media:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/27/AR2009102704010.html

Liberty Star
10-31-2009, 02:00 PM
However, this was uncalled for:

His voice turning more serious, Weinstein said there was perhaps a simple reason Hiltzik felt comfortable representing Beck. "I had a lot of actors Matt came in contact with," Weinstein said. "I just think Glenn is another one."

cheapseats
11-01-2009, 09:06 AM
A moving story of human advancement in American media:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/27/AR2009102704010.html

To find right PR guru, Beck looked to his left

SPHERE OF INFLUENCE: PR wunderkind and former Democratic operative Matt Hiltzik has a lot of celestial bodies in his orbit, including Katie Couric, Glenn Beck, Annie Lebovitz, Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, Eliot Spitzer, Harvey Weinstein and Don Imus. (Paul Hawthorne)

By Jason Horowitz
Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A few weeks after Sept. 11, 2001, Glenn Beck, a young Tampa-based disc jockey eager to break into conservative talk radio, called his new Manhattan agent, George Hiltzik, to help arrange a visit to Ground Zero. Hiltzik directed Beck to his 29-year-old son, Matt, who had returned to his job with the TriBeCa-based studio head Harvey Weinstein after playing a key role in electing Hillary Rodham Clinton to the U.S. Senate.

"I wasn't aware of all his positions at the time," Hiltzik said of Beck's enthusiastic conservative views. "I knew he was not, like, a big Democrat."

To say the least.

In the years since their first encounter, Beck has become arguably the most influential and incendiary conservative critic in America. He has called President Obama a racist, compared him to Hitler and forced the firing of administration appointees. This month, the White House retaliated against Beck's outlet, Fox News Channel, but the resulting controversy has only boosted Beck's notoriety, which, is Hiltzik's professional concern.

"My job is to look out for his personal business interests and try to weave them in well with his partners'," said Hiltzik, whose boutique PR firm, Hiltzik Strategies, has represented Beck since 2007. "We give strategic counsel, which includes managing the profile of the business."

"When I'm picking politicians, employees or business partners, I focus on their character not their political parties," Beck said in a statement. "And I know and trust Matthew's character."

Talk to me about Eliot Spitzer's character. Talk to me about Chuck Shumer's character.

What IS the character of a man who gets into bed with someone whose positions are unknown? Most guys, that's true. But I'm talking about IDEOLOGICAL positions. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know . . . STILL, most guys. ;)

HILTZIK IS AN UNABASHED PIMP.

Tell me who your friends are, and I'll tell you who YOU are.

The close friendship and lucrative business relationship that has developed between the 45-year-old conservative firebrand and the 37-year-old former Democratic operative shows how partisan media personalities get discovered, promoted and catapulted into the political stratosphere, even when the talent and the talent broker have opposing ideologies. But for Hiltzik's former Democratic allies, the alliance is still mostly shocking.

Politics Makes Strange Bedfellows = Pee Cee for Politics Promotes Promiscuity Unto Prostitution

"It's surprising," said Bill de Blasio, who ran Hillary Clinton's Senate campaign, for which Hiltzik served as the go-to liaison to New York's Jewish community. "He worked for the state Democratic Party, he worked for Hillary Clinton in 2000, he is as solid a Democrat as you can imagine."

Former New York governor Eliot Spitzer, who benefited from Hiltzik's help in his 1998 breakthrough win to become attorney general, was astonished that the guy he knew as his state party's lead spokesman was now representing the man some in the White House see as Public Enemy No. 1.

Spitzer called Hiltzik a friend and "a thoughtful, reasoned advocate -- certainly at the time -- for the Democratic principles that I was running on and that most of my colleagues believed in."

It's pretty much a cold day in hell when Eliot Spitzer, of EMPEROR'S CLUB AND FUCK-AROUND-REGULARLY-ON-YOUR-WIFE NOTORIETY, finds a liaison disturbing.

Other Hiltzik allies resort to strange-bedfellow teasing. "Everyone knows they're dating," joked Harvey Weinstein, who called his former right hand a deeply religious, brilliant guy. "It must be that kind of attraction. I can't see any other reason."

His voice turning more serious, Weinstein said there was perhaps a simple reason Hiltzik felt comfortable representing Beck. "I had a lot of actors Matt came in contact with," Weinstein said. "I just think Glenn is another one."

B-grade actor with an A-list script.

The Liberty Moovement is being bogarted, just like Freedom is being bogarted, just like the Treasury is being looted . . . RIGHT BEFORE YOUR EYES.

EndDaFed
11-01-2009, 09:12 AM
However, this was uncalled for:

He is probably right. Who wouldn't say anything for a 50 million dollar contract?

cheapseats
11-01-2009, 09:21 AM
He is probably right. Who wouldn't say anything for a 50 million dollar contract?

I would encourage Liberty Lovers to keep their eyes on those big contracts. When push comes to shove, I rather suspect that FEW FEW FEW are the well-remunerated newscasters and opinion makers who will stand with the People. Jeopardize their jobs AND compromise their security? Not bloody likely.

People rarely bite the hand that feeds them.

Think, CONTROLLED OPPOSITION.

Liberty Star
11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Talk to me about Eliot Spitzer's character. Talk to me about Chuck Shumer's character.

What IS the character of a man who gets into bed with someone whose positions are unknown? Most guys, that's true. But I'm talking about IDEOLOGICAL positions. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know . . . STILL, most guys. ;)

HILTZIK IS AN UNABASHED PIMP.

Tell me who your friends are, and I'll tell you who YOU are.

Politics Makes Strange Bedfellows = Pee Cee for Politics Promotes Promiscuity Unto Prostitution

It's pretty much a cold day in hell when Eliot Spitzer, of EMPEROR'S CLUB AND FUCK-AROUND-REGULARLY-ON-YOUR-WIFE NOTORIETY, finds a liaison disturbing.

B-grade actor with an A-list script.

The Liberty Moovement is being bogarted, just like Freedom is being bogarted, just like the Treasury is being looted . . . RIGHT BEFORE YOUR EYES.

You guys got me convinced, hard to disagree there.