PDA

View Full Version : Pissed at the watering down of 1207? Lets do something!

JamesButabi
10-31-2009, 10:30 AM
We knew this was coming, and to tell you the truth we weren't prepared. We should have had some type of coordination in place to combat this before it happened. That doesn't mean we can't light a grassroots fire of ideas and get something accomplished. The Fed audit is a uniting idea with tremendous fundraising and grouping potential. Opponents outside of big government and bankers are slim to none.

I propose to use this thread to spark a grassroots effort of ideas and action to combat the watering down of 1207. We need something that can garner alot of media attention. Do we re-gnite the end the fed rallies? Can we raise money for a specific event or media blitz? Time to get creative!

t0rnado
10-31-2009, 10:41 AM
You realize that is the exact same thing we did so that HR1207 would get cosponsors, right? Sure, it got cosponsors, but then it failed. We need to come up with something better than yelling and holding up signs. It's never worked for anyone.

catdd
10-31-2009, 10:47 AM
It could work but it would have to be massive. More than a million people marching on DC with blood in their eyes. I wouldn't rule out some civil disobedience.

ShowMeLiberty
We knew this was coming, and to tell you the truth we weren't prepared. We should have had some type of coordination in place to combat this before it happened. That doesn't mean we can't light a grassroots fire of ideas and get something accomplished. The Fed audit is a uniting idea with tremendous fundraising and grouping potential. Opponents outside of big government and bankers are slim to none.

I propose to use this thread to spark a grassroots effort of ideas and action to combat the watering down of 1207. We need something that can garner alot of media attention. Do we re-gnite the end the fed rallies? Can we raise money for a specific event or media blitz? Time to get creative!

End the Fed rallies are already being planned for 11-22-09. Check here: http://endthefedusa.ning.com/

For immediate, specific action about HR 1207, I like what GunnyFreedom suggests: http://nchouse2010.glenbradley.net/Glen_Bradley_for_NC_State_House/watthr1207.html

I don't know how much time we have for anything else - when do they vote on the bill it was attached to? Anybody know?

bucfish
Start a PAC and have a moneybomb to tell the Truth about Mel Watt. Making sure he does not get re-elected in 2010!

Also we could maybe hire a shadow like Grayson's campaign did to Rand to record every move Watt makes and maybe dig up some dirt.

And on the flip side. I say an "END THE FED" Blimp would be worth it's weight in Gold! Maybe RP's publisher could help out by buying Banner's for the blimp to help promote the book and to get the message out!

ForLiberty-RonPaul
10-31-2009, 11:05 AM

we need viral signs/pics/video/etc that read "MEL WATTS SOLD US OUT TO THE BANKS!!!"

JamesButabi
10-31-2009, 11:08 AM
You realize that is the exact same thing we did so that HR1207 would get cosponsors, right? Sure, it got cosponsors, but then it failed. We need to come up with something better than yelling and holding up signs. It's never worked for anyone.

Im not necessarily promoting an End the Fed rally. I created this thread to help spur a new creative idea. The majority of the nation has not one blip of clue what is going on here. It is our job to do something extroadinary to make sure they do.

ronpaulhawaii
10-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Interesting district

http://nc12thdistrict.com/images/nc12_110_11dj.gif

Anyone know much about this guy?

http://nc12thdistrict.com/Home_Page.php

Seems a bit too much of a "war on terror" supporter to garner much support from the r3VOLution...

JamesButabi
10-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Maybe we could coordinate an event with BJ Lawson. Hes not from the same district, but im sure he would gladly persue our ideas.

malkusm
10-31-2009, 11:38 AM
Interesting district

http://nc12thdistrict.com/images/nc12_110_11dj.gif

Most gerrymandered district ever... :mad:

Jean
10-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Let’s go after Watt.
Let’s put together a great commercial and play it on his local prime time TV
(Money bomb to finance)
Let’s put the information in front his people.
Just who is this guy working for?
Is he working for you the little guy or is he working for the BIG corporations?
I thought he worked for you? Why did he do this? Give him pain.

By doing this other congress critters can see when they do wrong we will be there in their district putting out commercials and informing the people!

I don't think we need to jump on board with another candidate at this time. We need to give it time and a good candidate will show up who we can get behind and support.

LibertyEagle
10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
Let’s go after Watt.
Let’s put together a great commercial and play it on his local prime time TV
(Money bomb to finance)
Let’s put the information in front his people.
Just who is this guy working for?
Is he working for you the little guy or is he working for the BIG corporations?
I thought he worked for you? Why did he do this? Give him pain.

By doing this other congress critters can see when they do wrong we will be there in their district putting out commercials and informing the people!

I don't think we need to jump on board with another candidate at this time. We need to give it time and a good candidate will show up who we can get behind and support.

I think this is a great idea.

Who can put this together?

JamesButabi
10-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Just as a FYI. Message from BJ Lawson 3 days ago before this happened.

Audit the Fed — Time to Confront our Imperial Senate
October 27th, 2009 by BJ Lawson
Orwell would be proud of last week’s Federal Reserve Accountability Act (S 1803). Thanks to our success advancing the Federal Reserve Transparency Act (HR 1207, and its companion legislation S 604), the banking lobby felt compelled to offer S 1803 as its own “alternative”.
Needless to say, the Federal Reserve Accountability Act will help the Fed avoid accountability. It severely limits audit scopes, and sets unreasonable timeframes that will delay or postpone indefinitely certain audits. At some level, it’s tragic comedy — imagine authorizing an audit to be performed one year after a program is terminated. Of course, what happens if the program is never terminated?
The good news is that we’re making progress.
The banking lobby feels threatened enough by HR 1207/S 604 to convince Senators Jeff Merkley (D-OR) and Bob Corker (R-TN) to attempt this maneuver, and other Senators are being forced to take awkward positions against S 604 and true transparency.
For example, North Carolina Senator Kay Hagan announced in a constituent email last week that she does not support S 604. Her objection? Apparently transparency is dangerous:
The immediate and broad disclosure that S. 604 would require could disrupt the financial markets, and jeopardize our country’s international finance relationships. Ultimately, it would be taxpayers who would bear the brunt of any losses resulting from policies caused by untimely disclosure of sensitive information.
It is sad and ironic that a freshman Senator elected on the coattails of “change” has decided to serve the banking lobby instead of the millions of Americans who have been crushed by the Federal Reserve’s economic malpractice.It is time to stand up for real change, and march against increasingly imperial Senators lining up against S 604.
Please send your version of the following letter to Senator Hagan, or join me at DownsizeDC to contact your Senator if he or she has not yet cosponsored S 604.
Dear Senator Hagan,
I’m afraid your rationale for opposing the Federal Reserve Sunshine Act (S 604) is backwards. You stated:
The immediate and broad disclosure that S. 604 would require could disrupt the financial markets, and jeopardize our country’s international finance relationships. Ultimately, it would be taxpayers who would bear the brunt of any losses resulting from policies caused by untimely disclosure of sensitive information.
In fact, financial markets require honesty and transparency for efficient capital allocation, and systemic stability. The lack of transparency in our financial markets, which are increasingly dominated by the Federal Reserve, is causing ongoing disruption in our markets, and jeopardizing our international financial relationships.
In short, our financial system is still in critical condition. Lying and obfuscation are the disease. Honesty and transparency are the cure.
Senator Hagan, you were elected last November to bring change to Washington. Our banking lobby doesn’t need your help — they’re doing an excellent job privatizing profits while socializing losses. Please stand up for the millions of Americans who are suffering with the worst job losses of any postwar recession, and take this first step to restoring transparency and stability.
Sincerely,
William (B.J.) Lawson
Apex, North Carolina

malkusm
10-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Go back and watch the video - here's a direct quote from Mel Watt during the committee hearing on HR 1207:

"The question is not whether there will be some kind of increased audit of the Federal Reserve, but how that will take place."

:mad:

JamesButabi
10-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Watts tab

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00002328&cycle=2010

Imperial
10-31-2009, 12:08 PM
I wrote an article on DKos last night that I just posted and I called Mel Watt out in it.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/10/31/799046/-Audit-the-Fed-Is-Dead

By the way, notice the details on the representative who actually gutted HR 1207 in the first place (from the Bloomberg article):

Keith Kelly, a spokesman for [Representative Mel] Watt, declined to comment and said Watt wasn’t immediately available for an interview. Watt’s district includes Charlotte, headquarters of Bank of America Corp., the biggest U.S. lender.

Add another tally for corporatism.

Dionysus
10-31-2009, 12:10 PM
The shameless transparency of this bankster-stooge relationship is astounding (Bank of America headquartered in his district, prime placement of stooge on powerful banking related committee). They are obviously not used to people paying attention.

Causing Watt to lose his seat in a very visible and loud campaign is probably the most prudent reaction, which will send a message to other elected stooges to fear for their job security if they fail to represent the people well.

The biggest obstacle would be overcoming the sheer ignorance of the voters in this impoverished, big-city, gerry-mandered district. I'm sure he buys plenty of votes in exchange for petty promises, high-sounding speeches and welfare handouts of one sort or another.

Optimally, we need a liberty-minded African American to step up, run for the office, and loudly denounce Watt in a manner which resonates with the locals of the district. I'm positive that the funding would flow to the right candidate.

We must never stop until our highest priority goals are met, no matter what obstacles are encountered. Auditing the Fed is obviously a must happen event.

malkusm
10-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Watts tab

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.php?cid=N00002328&cycle=2010

There should be a law that anyone who serves on a financial or banking committee should not be allowed to accept campaign contributions from banks, etc.

Dionysus
10-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Speaking generally, I think perhaps the greatest power that we can cultivate is the ability to quickly deploy credible candidates from our network of activists to challenge the most loathsome opponents of American liberty, and to develop the political skills to get these candidates elected with a high rate of success.

JamesButabi
10-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe we could keep it low budget, simple, and truthful. Make a compilation video of some donors each contributing 5 seconds of so.

(Each line representing a speaker)
Do Americans have a right to their own money?
We think you do!
Thousands of average citizens all across the United States
Are angered because your congressmen Melvin Watts
Thinks you have no right to know
Where trillions of dollars of YOUR MONEY are being sent.

(Fast changing speakers)
Id like to know
Id like to know
Id like to know
(Show collage of hundreds of RP supporters)
Wed like to know!

(Text and music)
Why does Melvin Watts want to hide this from us?
What is he hiding?

Help support auditing the federal reserve.

(small text on bottom)
Paid for by thousands of average americans)

WorldonaString
10-31-2009, 12:45 PM
I hope Mr. Watts has a plan B career, because he's going to be in trouble soon enough.

Lets also not forget that Dr. Paul plans to retrinroduce the soul of this legislation via a new amendment when the bill reaches the house floor. We need to push into high gear and garner publicity for when this happens!

klamath
10-31-2009, 01:57 PM
You guys are are chasing a red herring. BARNEY FRANK did this. He knew when he refused to let the bill go to the house floor and handed it to this little congressmen he would gut it. Barney Frank was there and watched Watt speak out in favor of the fed at the hearing. He then hands it to Watt to amend? There is no question here. Watts is solid in his district and nobody cares about Watt. Barney Frank just thinks of himself as too important to take the heat for keeping the feds actions blacked out. We need to go after the real killer of HR 1207.
Barney Frank!

LibertyWorker
10-31-2009, 01:59 PM
Mr. Watt and all the rest of the @%#^$* in DC need a good virtual smack upside the head.

I’m done playing nice guy with the bastards in DC.

Please send any info you guys get on Mel “the trader” Watt.

Email: melwatt@politicalterror.com if this mail box gets full send your stuff to info@politicalterror.com

Quotes
Videos
Links
Pictures
News

Give me all of it.

Screw Them:mad:

Thank you in advance.

Dieseler
10-31-2009, 02:01 PM
You guys are are chasing a red herring. BARNEY FRANK did this. He knew when he refused to let the bill go to the house floor and handed it to this little congressmen he would gut it. Barney Frank was there and watched Watt speak out in favor of the fed at the hearing. He then hands it to Watt to amend? There is no question here. Watts is solid in his district and nobody cares about Watt. Barney Frank just thinks of himself as too important to take the heat for keeping the feds actions blacked out. We need to go after the real killer of HR 1207.
Barney Frank!

This is the truth.

LibForestPaul
10-31-2009, 02:05 PM
This is the truth.

But he is not up until 2010. Oust Watt, and 11/22 let Frank know he's next. He is a newyorker.

klamath
10-31-2009, 02:13 PM
RP just gave his statement on this and he seems to want pressure on the current cosponsers in the finance comittee to back him up when he reintroduces the teeth.

Anti Federalist
10-31-2009, 02:13 PM
But he is not up until 2010. Oust Watt, and 11/22 let Frank know he's next. He is a newyorker.

nvm

Dieseler
10-31-2009, 02:48 PM

This is true to.

LibertyEagle
10-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Barney Frank!

Whoa. First, listen to what Ron said about all this.

YouTube - Ron Paul: Important News on Audit the Fed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPgzPxPwEV8)

LibForestPaul
10-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Or you may also call the Washington office at (202) 225-5931.
Let him know further delay or watering down of hr1207 will result in you donating $xx to whomever is his opponent in 2010?
Let him know further delay or watering down of hr1207 will result in you donating $xx to whichever ad that will expose his ties to the banks in 2010? Swiftboating Barney Frank?

klamath
10-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Whoa. First, listen to what Ron said about all this.

YouTube - Ron Paul: Important News on Audit the Fed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPgzPxPwEV8)

Actually that came right after I made the statement on Frank. But when you really listen to that RP does not seem to sure about Frank anymore.

catdd
10-31-2009, 05:46 PM
RP likes to believe there is some good in everyone, but BF will never come around. He's a con man and a shyster.

Dionysus
10-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Any legal beagles want to talk about the possibilities of suing Watt for corruption, fraud, failing to live up to his constitutional responsibilities, etc. Of course, I never expect anyone could win, but it would send a powerful message and give us some media to lay out the case.

I mean, it's obvious this guy has been effectively bribed by BAC. Shouldn't there be a legal remedy for these for-profit, totally bought and paid for politicians?

dr. hfn
10-31-2009, 07:05 PM
1. End the Fed rallies.

2. Civil Disobedience.

3. Threaten Mel Watt politically, make him feel the pain.

4. Recruit 9.12ers/Tea Partiers and others.

ronpaulhawaii
11-01-2009, 10:05 AM
1. End the Fed rallies.

2. Civil Disobedience.

4. Recruit 9.12ers/Tea Partiers and others.

I do hope people use this development to swell #1 with #4.

Matt Collins
11-01-2009, 02:37 PM
You mean like this? :confused:

http://research.history.org/Historical_Research/Research_Themes/ThemeRevolution/Loyalist/tar_and_feather.jpg

jmdrake
11-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Until the average citizens knows the full extent of the government tyranny arrayed against them, they will not be angry enough to know that half step measures aren't good enough. And how do we get them to understand that? (*cough* 9 *cough cough* 1 *cough cough cough* 1).

rancher89
11-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm organizing the 3rd annual, and hopefully last, END THE FED protest in Charlotte, NC.. Mell Watt will be a topic of discussion as well as barbed comments.

He won't be there and he doesn't care about what we care about.....

He's no worse or better than 90% of the politicians in DC, they, almost to a "man" take money from special interests.....we're a banking center so it follows that banks would give him money AND that he would be on the finance committee.

We need lobbiest reform, serious lobby reform.

JamesButabi
11-04-2009, 09:17 AM
BJ Lawson still using his mailing list for the good fight.

Dear James,

Ever want to buy your very own Congressman? A legislative tool to get the job done, especially dirty jobs that violate the trust of the American people? How much do you think it would cost?

It turns out surprisingly little.

Meet Rep. Mel Watt of North Carolina's 12th District. Commercial banks have been his largest career donor, giving a total of $319,822 over the past ten years. That's just a little over $30,000 per year.

What do banking lobbyists get in return?

Rep. Watt chairs the House Financial Services monetary policy subcommittee. Last Friday, Rep. Ron Paul reported that our Federal Reserve Transparency Act (HR 1207) was "gutted" in Rep. Watt's subcommittee. Rep. Watt's changes restricted inquiry around transactions with foreign central banks, monetary policy deliberations, transactions made under the direction of the Federal Open Market Committee and communications between the Board, the reserve banks and staff.

Not a bad return on investment for the Fed and its lobbyists.

In defense of Rep. Watt, however, it's not totally his fault. His district is the most obviously gerrymandered in North Carolina, following I-85 like a snake from Charlotte to Winston Salem. It is overwhelmingly Democratic, and his re-election has never been seriously challenged. Why should he represent the people when he is electorally invincible?

An invincible incumbent is the most useful tool, and a bargain to boot.

While we may not be able to hold Rep. Watt accountable, we can fight back. His attempt to eviscerate HR1207 must be approved by the full Financial Services committee. It is essential that we contact each member of the Financial Services committee TODAY and let them know Rep. Watt's proposed changes are unacceptable. Please review the list of committee members, and focus on your representative, or those from your state.

I've attached my letter below to help you get started. Join me at DownsizeDC.org to use their Educate the Powerful system -- it's the easiest way to get your message to Congress.

###

Dear Representative Miller,

I am writing you in your capacity as a member of the House Committee on Financial Services.

You may be aware that Rep. Mel Watt's subcommittee on monetary policy introduced changes to the Federal Reserve Transparency Act (HR 1207) that restrict inquiry around transactions with foreign central banks, monetary policy deliberations, transactions made under the direction of the Federal Open Market Committee and communications between the Board, the reserve banks and staff.

These changes have the practical effect of killing the bill, and eliminating the transparency that our economy and financial markets require for stability and sustainable growth.

It is clear that Rep. Watt is serving the banking lobbyists who have funded his campaigns over the past decade. It is also clear that he does not fear for his re-election, given his willingness to put the bankers' narrow interests above those of the American people.

Your district is not quite as safe. There are many people across party lines who will work to defeat you if you support Rep. Watt's changes.

HR 1207 has over 300 cosponsors in its original form. I trust you will use your influence to remove Rep. Watt's changes, and bring HR 1207 to a vote on the House floor in its original form.

Sincerely,

William (B.J.) Lawson

###

P.S -- In a recent video message, Ron Paul indicated that it is especially important that constituents contact the 13 Democrats on the Financial Services committee who already co-sponsored HR 1207, with a VERY polite reminder that you STILL want them to support the ORIGINAL bill, and to resist Mr. Watt's amendments.

For your convenience, here is that list . . .

Rep. John Adler, NJ (202) 225-4765
Rep. Travis Childers, MS (202) 225-4306
Rep. Steve Driehaus, OH (202) 225-2216
Rep. Alan Grayson, FL (202) 225-2176
Rep. Rubén Hinojosa, TX (202) 225-2531
Rep. Suzanne Kosmas, FL (877) 956-7627
Rep. Dan Maffei, NY (202) 225-3701
Rep. Brad Miller, NC (202) 225-3032
Rep. Walt Minnick, ID (202) 225-6611
Rep. Ed Perlmutter, CO (202)-225-2645
Rep. David Scott, GA (202) 225-2939
Rep. Brad Sherman, CA (202) 225-5911
Rep. Jackie Speier, CA (202) 225-3531

Be sure to call all of these numbers!

LittleLightShining
11-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Just called them all. Boy, the aide in Perlmutter's office doesn't seem very bright.