PDA

View Full Version : I believe that a belief in a supernatural creator is founded on a basic manifestation

Reason
10-30-2009, 02:12 PM
I believe that a belief in a supernatural creator is founded on a basic manifestation of cognitive dissonance that was so amazingly strong back when we could explain nothing about our environment and how the elements around us work.

I believe this is why blind faith is and has always been on a steady decrease throughout history and will continue to do so in the long run.

Because as we are able to explain more and more of the elements that make up our environment there is less and less need to relieve the dissonance created via the fear of the unknown.

Thoughts?

~For those not familiar with the psychological concept of "cognitive dissonance" it is a natural human reaction that is relatively subconscious in that when we as humans are confronted with information that is not in line with a preconceived notion the human mind immediately seeks to explain/solve/relieve this "dissonance" via a variety of methods.~

MelissaWV
10-30-2009, 02:16 PM
You really are stuck on one note today...

As a trend, you are sort of on track. As an absolute, you never will be. Even if we resolved "what happens when you die" and "where/what are you before you're born" tomorrow, there will be people dissatisfied with the answers. In addition to the phenomenon you've described, there is also a natural limit to what we can or will ingest mentally. If we can't get all the facts, we'll take the Cliff's Notes version.

Having said all that, you're certainly entitled to your belief, so long as you don't try ramming it down my throat ;) Then I *believe* I might get annoyed.

wizardwatson
10-30-2009, 02:21 PM
I believe that a belief in a supernatural creator is founded on a basic manifestation of cognitive dissonance that was so amazingly strong back when we could explain nothing about our environment and how the elements around us work.

I believe this is why blind faith is and has always been on a steady decrease throughout history and will continue to do so in the long run.

Because as we are able to explain more and more of the elements that make up our environment there is less and less need to relieve the dissonance created via the fear of the unknown.

Thoughts?

~For those not familiar with the psychological concept of "cognitive dissonance" it is a natural human reaction that is relatively subconscious in that when we as humans are confronted with information that is not in line with a preconceived notion the human mind immediately seeks to explain/solve/relieve this "dissonance" via a variety of methods.~

This is kind of a rehash of this...

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand. Now, when you finally discover how something works, you get some laws which you're taking away from God; you don't need him anymore. But you need him for the other mysteries. So therefore you leave him to create the universe because we haven't figured that out yet; you need him for understanding those things which you don't believe the laws will explain, such as consciousness, or why you only live to a certain length of time -- life and death -- stuff like that. God is always associated with those things that you do not understand. Therefore I don't think that the laws can be considered to be like God because they have been figured out. " - Richard Feynman

Yes atheists, not all "Richard's" are assholes!!! :D:D:D

MelissaWV
10-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Yes atheists, not all "Richard's" are assholes!!! :D:D:D

No, but they're all Dicks.

wizardwatson
10-30-2009, 02:26 PM
no, but they're all dicks.

buuuuuuzzzing!!!!!!!!! :d

Reason
10-31-2009, 02:24 AM
YouTube - Richard Dawkins: One Fact to Refute Creationism (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxZ6MrBl9E)

LibertyEagle
10-31-2009, 03:12 AM
Question.

Is this thread furthering liberty, or is it dividing us further?

ForLiberty-RonPaul
10-31-2009, 06:03 AM
Question.

I know this one! I know this one!

Meatwasp
10-31-2009, 06:27 AM
Question.

It sure seems so

MelissaWV
10-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Question.

It also seems awfully redundant with the teapot thread. And also the thread he linked to within the teapot thread.

And it's also in bold which hurts my beautiful eyes.

:(