PDA

View Full Version : Store Owner Charged With Kidnapping For Holding A Shoplifter For Police...

Reason
10-29-2009, 11:52 PM
YouTube - Store Owner Charged With Kidnapping For Holding A Shoplifter For Police (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUaKM5Z7QcU)

coyote_sprit
10-30-2009, 06:22 AM
I don't want to watch it at risk of blowing a blood vessel.

angelatc
10-30-2009, 06:55 AM

They're Canadians. Here in the US they're allowed to do it, but they better be damned sure the person is shoplifting. If the storekeeper in mistaken, they're likely to be arrested and/or sucessfully sued for false imprisonment.

ETA - I'm not sure if we're allowed to go that far. This guy rocks - he followed him, tied him up and tossed him in the back of a truck. Charges include carrying a concealed weapon.

See, this is why he should have used his secret ninja skills and just taken the guy out permanantly.

youngbuck
10-30-2009, 03:14 PM

Haha, that's what I thought too.

DamianTV
11-01-2009, 12:12 AM
What a load of shit.

noxagol
11-01-2009, 09:08 AM
I know that here in the US you can forcibly detain someone whom you believe to be shop lifting from your store. It happens all the time where I work (Walmart). I've helped a few times. Those who fight often get arrested on felony assault charges. We either detain them on spot if they are a serious risk to ourselves or others or take them into the security office while we wait for police to show up. The security guys are very careful to make sure the person they are about to confront has indeed stolen something. They have to witness the item being taken, stowed away, and then cannot break eye contact with the person and must wait for them to exit the first set of doors before they make a move on them. so far they havent gotten it wrong.

Matt Collins
11-01-2009, 10:14 AM
In TN I have a friend who is head of security for a major retail chain. And this person has told me that they are not allowed to detain them, but they can trick them into thinking they are detained. If the person runs they are not allowed to be chased. So they act like the person doesn't have a choice and intimidate them into going to the back room and waiting on the cops.

Dieseler
11-01-2009, 11:20 AM
I've seen a couple of NFL class tackles outside of Kmart, WalMart over the years here in Alabama.
I guess it is legal to detain or they wouldn't pursue with force like that.