PDA

View Full Version : When in history have the American people been forced to buy something by the Feds? re

..PAUL4PRES..
10-29-2009, 11:13 AM
When in history have the American people been forced to buy something by the Feds? re: Health insurance?

Pennsylvania
10-29-2009, 11:17 AM
postal service, armed forces, louisiana purchase, the list goes on...

..PAUL4PRES..
10-29-2009, 11:20 AM

Thats not the same thing. Those are paid for by taxes. They are not mandates the government focres everyone to buy. Whats next, refrigerators?

Icymudpuppy
10-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Actually, I don't have to buy stamps. I can hire a private courier, I can deliver it myself, and these methods have always been available. there was a time when the postal service was more efficient than private methods, but that time started to pass with the advent of the telegraph, and lost more ground with the telephone, and now with the internet, there is no need for a post office.

KAYA
10-29-2009, 11:23 AM

That's different because your examples were paid for by the gov using money taken from the public via taxes, this forces individuals to directly buy something.

..PAUL4PRES..
10-29-2009, 11:25 AM
So is the answer NEVER in history?

Kylie
10-29-2009, 11:43 AM
What about car insurance? They dont force you to buy it, but they penalize you if you dont have it when they ask.

kahless
10-29-2009, 11:46 AM
What about car insurance? They dont force you to buy it, but they penalize you if you dont have it when they ask.

Not quite the same since you do not have to own a car. You can rent or use someone elses without being required to have insurance. It is only the property owner that is required. The deal with Health Insurance is there is no opt out. I think this might be a first time in US history.

..PAUL4PRES..
10-29-2009, 11:52 AM

Thats a state issue. Laws differ state to state.

Dieseler
10-29-2009, 11:54 AM
The U.S. Government has never forced its citizens to purchase anything at the barrel of a gun before.

fisharmor
10-29-2009, 11:56 AM
No, I don't think there is a federal case where people have been forced to make purchases.
And as pointed out, in the state cases it is still technically an option, since I don't have to own a car, and even if I do, I don't have to drive it on public roads.

Dieseler
10-29-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't think I am going to comply.

Sandman33
10-29-2009, 04:39 PM
The U.S. Government has never forced its citizens to purchase anything at the barrel of a gun before.

They have however confiscated the peoples gold under threat of imprisonment. And thats worse than forcing you to spend useless paper on useless heath care.

We should have risen up then and we should not take this shit now.

Stary Hickory
10-29-2009, 04:51 PM
All of taxation is the FED forcing you to buy government "services".

torchbearer
10-29-2009, 04:55 PM
louisiana purchase was done by treaty. that is constitutional.

Andrew-Austin
10-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Thats not the same thing. Those are paid for by taxes. They are not mandates the government focres everyone to buy. Whats next, refrigerators?

lol, its kind of worse, if not practically the same thing.

jmdrake
10-29-2009, 05:08 PM
You know, that's one helluvan argument! Next time some left wing looney says "you have to buy car insurance" point out that the federal government has nothing to do with it! Everyone who wants a government mandate for insurance should move to Massachusetts.

Anti Federalist
10-29-2009, 05:16 PM
You know, that's one helluvan argument! Next time some left wing looney says "you have to buy car insurance" point out that the federal government has nothing to do with it! Everyone who wants a government mandate for insurance should move to Massachusetts.

Further, it is the state requiring you to carry insurance to protect the other guy, not you.

No state requires comprehensive collision insurance coverage on your car.

Lenders may require this as part of the loan agreement, but that's a private contract.

And NH has no mandatory liability coverage law by the way. Oh, and we have one of the highest rates of insured motorists.

This is a first, the "fee to live".

FindLiberty
10-29-2009, 05:49 PM
How about the forced federal Ponzi scheme called social security?

Resist it and sooner or later their guns get pointed at you... then it gets worse if you don't back down and just buy it...

Liberty Rebellion
10-29-2009, 08:34 PM
lol, its kind of worse, if not practically the same thing.

It's exactly the same. The federal government takes your stolen money (taxes) and buys whatever it wants with it.

This is no different. The government assumes ownership of your wages and goes from there.