PDA

View Full Version : Newt, Sarah and a New GOP by Patrick J. Buchanan

bobbyw24
10-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Newt, Sarah and a New GOP

by Patrick J. Buchanan

“Sometimes party loyalty asks too much,” said JFK.

For Sarah Palin, party loyalty in New York’s 23rd congressional district asks too much. Going rogue, Palin endorsed Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman over Republican Dede Scozzafava.

On Oct. 1, Scozzafava was leading. Today, she trails Democrat Bill Owens and is only a few points ahead of Hoffman, as Empire State conservatives defect to vote their principles, not their party.

Newt Gingrich stayed on the reservation, endorsing Scozzafava, who is pro-choice and pro-gay rights, and hauls water for the unions.

Scourged by the right, Newt accused conservatives of going over the hill in the battle to save the republic, just to get a buzz on. “If we are in the business about feeling good about ourselves while our country gets crushed, then I probably made the wrong decision.” How Scozzafava would prevent America’s being “crushed” was unexplained.

The 23rd recalls a famous Senate race 40 years ago. Rep. Charles Goodell was picked by Gov. Nelson Rockefeller to fill the seat of Robert Kennedy in 1968. To hold onto it, Goodell swerved sharp left, emerging as an upstate Xerox copy of Jacob Javits, the most liberal Republican in the Senate.

In 1970, Goodell got both the GOP and Liberal Party nominations, and faced liberal Democrat Richard Ottinger. This left a huge vacuum into which Conservative Party candidate James Buckley, brother of William F., smartly moved.

Assessing the field, the Nixon White House concluded that, with liberals split, Goodell could not win. But Buckley might. Signals were flashed north that loyalty to the president was not inconsistent with voting for Buckley. To send the signal in the clear, Vice President Agnew described Charlie Goodell to a New Orleans newspaper as “the Christine Jorgensen of the Republican Party.”

The former George Jorgensen, Christine had undergone the most radical sex-change operation in recorded history.

Liberals went berserk, calling on New Yorkers to rally to Goodell, who began surging, at Ottinger’s expense. Buckley scooted between them both to win. Hoffman may also. But even if he does not, Palin, a conservative of the heart, did the right thing.

And the GOP has been sent a necessary message.

For, according to Gallup, 40 percent of Americans now identify as conservatives — only 20 percent as Republicans. If the GOP is not the conservative party, it will never be America’s Party.

But what does “conservative” mean in 2009? And where do conservatives come down on the great issues? For what the right is against — any repeal of the Bush tax cuts, the $787 billion stimulus, Obamacare — is much clearer than what the right stands for.

In 2010, this may not matter, as the Obamakins rule the roost and will be held accountable, and Republicans can unite around what they oppose. Year 2012, however, is problematic.

Then the party must declare itself. And the reality is that the GOP remains a house divided.

What, for example, is the conservative view of the

http://buchanan.org/blog/newt-sarah-and-a-new-gop-2711

jmdrake
10-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Wow! This has to be one of the fastest thread derails in RPF history!

I could care less about Sarah Palin or Pat Buchannan. I'm not even that concerned about Doug Hoffman. A win by a third party conservative helps us. It paves the road for Ron Paul candidates that might have to run from a 3rd party angle. If someone later accuses us of splitting the GOP vote we can say "Well what about Palin, Thomson, Buchannan and others back in 2009?" It's great precedent.

LibertyEagle
10-28-2009, 11:56 AM
The off-topic posts were moved, here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=216558

bobbyw24
10-28-2009, 11:57 AM
The off-topic posts were moved, here:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=216558

Thanks

kahless
10-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Pat is telling it like it is. I wish more Conservatives would speak out against Newt. As far as Sarah Palin I think she did good here and this is the role she should continue to play. I just wish she would come out and say she will definitively not run on any Presidential ticket.