PDA

View Full Version : LA Times: Ron Paul, gearing up for 2012?

Bruno
10-28-2009, 10:15 AM
ht tp://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/10/ron-paul-gearing-up-for-2012.html

Ron Paul, gearing up for 2012?
October 28, 2009 | 8:08 am

The man's got a following, that's for sure.

Tuesday it was announced that Texas Republican Ron Paul, who wowed the Libertarian crowd during the 2008 election with his call for limited government, is set to deliver an address at the University of South Carolina on Nov. 9 about the “future of individual liberty and the importance of the U.S. Constitution.”

As if that were not enough, the following week he's scheduled to speak in Iowa, that pivotal early caucus state, with stops in Ames and Des Moines.

By this morning speculation was rife that South Carolina, which holds one of the early primaries in the presidential calendar, could be the launching pad for a new Ron Paul bid. As CNN's Political Ticker put it, "Will Ron Paul give it another go in 2012?"

If so, the 74-year-old congressman and doctor isn't saying. Lately he's been busy waging war against the federal government's response to the H1N1 virus, decrying the vaccination program as an attempt by the federal government to corral more power. He even tweaked President Obama for not having his daughters inoculated.

“It’s interesting to note that the president’s children have not gotten their shots and the explanation for this is it hasn’t been available to them – now that’s a little bit hard to buy when you think that probably anything the president wants can be available for their children,” said Paul, adding, “So in a way he’s made his decision not to give his children these inoculations – so if he has freedom of choice on this, I would like to make sure that all the American people have the same amount of freedom of choice.”

Yesterday, Malia and Sasha got their shots.

-- Johanna Neuman

Krugerrand
10-28-2009, 10:27 AM
If in fact the Obama's did not want their children vaccinated (assumption based on delay) that they would go through with it for political expedience (assumption based on timing) - then that is a sad statement on their parenting.

torchbearer
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM
If in fact the Obama's did not want their children vaccinated (assumption based on delay) that they would go through with it for political expedience (assumption based on timing) - then that is a sad statement on their parenting.

Obviously Obama didn't think H1N1 was really much of a threat.

pacelli
10-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed that Paul runs for president in 2012.

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2009, 10:45 AM
PAUL IN 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm there for him!

Just hopes he doesn't make C4L the driving engine - They have been a disapointment....

-t

TonySutton
10-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Would love to see a few liberty candidates running this time around.

brandon
10-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I think a lot of his viability for 2012 rests on Rand's campaign. Rand needs to WIN

TCE
10-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Yesterday, Malia and Sasha got their shots.

Did they really? Wouldn't this be televised or in some sort of newspaper?

Bruno
10-28-2009, 11:00 AM

reading it in that article was the first I had heard of it as well.

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2009, 11:02 AM
I think a lot of his viability for 2012 rests on Rand's campaign. Rand needs to WIN

When is the next money bomb and trip to do boots on the ground?

-t

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2009, 11:04 AM

I'm guessing this isn't the same vaccine other Americans got - like the Brit Parliment got "special" shots....

Not that I think there is something bad in there - I just think they know something about them... and some (non-US) being better than others....

-t

LibertyMage
10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
There is a reason a man in his 70s so fervently supports extremely unpopular political stances; he believes in them.

http://www.libertymage.com/index.php/2009/09/24/an-important-message-from-valley-forge

Krugerrand
10-28-2009, 11:24 AM
reading it in that article was the first I had heard of it as well.

I heard it on local radio this morning.

kahless
10-28-2009, 11:27 AM
PAUL IN 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm there for him!

Just hopes he doesn't make C4L the driving engine - They have been a disapointment....

-t

I am all for Ron in 2012 and hope some lessons were learned from December/January 2008. Here we had Ron winning every straw poll and raised something like 6 million while John McCain almost had to call it quits in December since he was just about flat broke. It was pretty clear then who the front runner was. The outcome of those first primaries in January may have turned out differently if that money was used in broadcast advertising. Maybe it could have put FNC in line which had allot to do with how big government John McCain was able to pull off that come back.

Despite Beck, Foxnews may still pose a problem for Ron as clearly demonstrated last night. Hannity who has a record of supporting big government Neocon candidates but portrays himself as a Conservative-Libertarian had on no other than the king of phony Conservatives John McCain. They may talk to talk now but past actions speak louder than words. The Republican party sheep however may still buy into this crap in 2012. There is some indication that people are waking up when you look at Beck vs Hannity's ratings.

sratiug
10-28-2009, 11:42 AM
I am all for Ron in 2012 and hope some lessons were learned from December/January 2008. Here we had Ron winning every straw poll and raised something like 6 million while John McCain almost had to call it quits in December since he was just about flat broke. It was pretty clear then who the front runner was. The outcome of those first primaries in January may have turned out differently if that money was used in broadcast advertising. Maybe it could have put FNC in line which had allot to do with how big government John McCain was able to pull off that come back.

Despite Beck, Foxnews may still pose a problem for Ron as clearly demonstrated last night. Hannity who has a record of supporting big government Neocon candidates but portrays himself as a Conservative-Libertarian had on no other than the king of phony Conservatives John McCain. They may talk to talk now but past actions speak louder than words. The Republican party sheep however may still buy into this crap in 2012. There is some indication that people are waking up when you look at Beck vs Hannity's ratings.

We need to convert Fox on the war issue... before the election.

Bruno
10-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I heard it on local radio this morning.

likely bowing to public pressure. You'd think they would have been among the first in line.

amonasro
10-28-2009, 12:09 PM
We need to convert Fox on the war issue... before the election.

Good luck with that one!

If Ron was gearing up (or at least considering it) it would be SUPER exciting, to say the least.

sofia
10-28-2009, 12:19 PM

yep..

If Rand knocks off the Establishment's man in KY....and then beats the Demorat... puts to rest the lie that "Dr. Paul cant' win."

libertygrl
10-28-2009, 02:13 PM
I ADORE Ron Paul but isn't he going to be 77 years old in 2012???? I saw him in person and he looked a little frail which is understandable considering his age. I would be concerned if he pushed himself again.

Do you guys think he's seriously considering it? I saw a video where I heard Rand Paul casually mention to a woman in KY that he may not have the stamina to run again because it was so difficult the first time around.

I don't think we need him to run because as long as the powers to be are still controlling the show, they won't allow him to even get close. Why ruin his health? He made his mark the first time around, and the liberty movement grew tremendously because of it.

Maybe some of us are in a little denial about the age factor. Continue to keep supporting liberty minded candidates and throw out the traitors who are in there now. I think that's the better way to go. I want Ron Paul around for a very long time! ;)

pacelli
10-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Maybe some of us are in a little denial about the age factor. Continue to keep supporting liberty minded candidates and throw out the traitors who are in there now. I think that's the better way to go. I want Ron Paul around for a very long time! ;)

You make an excellent point and I didn't snip off the rest of your post to distract from it at all. Just wanted to hone in on a couple sentences that brought about a new thing that hadn't crossed my mind yet: What if there are NO presidential candidates that meet the Ron Paul test? Have we as a grassroots movement planned for that possibility or considered it?

Dieseler
10-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Shit or get off the pot Doc.
I love you and everything you stand for but this is a life or death election and the campaign is already under way or as some people would say, it never ended for Obama.

tangent4ronpaul
10-28-2009, 02:52 PM
I ADORE Ron Paul but isn't he going to be 77 years old in 2012???? I saw him in person and he looked a little frail which is understandable considering his age. I would be concerned if he pushed himself again.

Do you guys think he's seriously considering it? I saw a video where I heard Rand Paul casually mention to a woman in KY that he may not have the stamina to run again because it was so difficult the first time around.

I don't think we need him to run because as long as the powers to be are still controlling the show, they won't allow him to even get close. Why ruin his health? He made his mark the first time around, and the liberty movement grew tremendously because of it.

Ron exercises regularly and is in very good health. I've been told by someone that worked with him closely that he has a very sharp mind and would not stand retirement. If anything, Carrols health would be a bigger factor here. I will be amazed if he does not live well into his 90's if not past 100!

He's made better media contacts and his name has become a household word. The movement has largely fallen apart since he didn't win. C4L is sucking gas. What was supposet to be bottom up has turned into top down. Communications is stepped on unless it's "blessed", etc. We need him to run again, even if not seriously. To get the message out and "bless" other candidates....

I don't know if he ever got the message, but I did talk to some of his PCC staff about an approach to completely bypass the MSM and reach 3/4ths of the population. Some of us have been working on that....

-t

brandon
10-28-2009, 02:53 PM
What if there are NO presidential candidates that meet the Ron Paul test? Have we as a grassroots movement planned for that possibility or considered it?

I'll likely just do the same thing I did last November: Write in Ron Paul (yea I know it doesn't count)

If Ron Paul doesn't run we will all be divided like we were last election cycle. There will be no consensus. Some people might support Johnson, others won't be able to. Some people might support the libertarian/constitution party candidate, others won't be able to. Some people won't vote. Some people will write in Ron Paul. Others will support what they consider to be a viable lesser-of-evils candidate.

sofia
10-28-2009, 03:22 PM
If anything, Carrols health would be a bigger factor here.
-t

she's is such a sweet woman. I wish she would drop a few pounds though.

Matt Collins
10-28-2009, 07:23 PM
she's is such a sweet woman. Carol and I e-mail back and forth a bit and she is truly a saint. :)

thasre
10-28-2009, 07:34 PM

I think they're planning on releasing it as a major motion picture.

WorldonaString
10-28-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't know if he ever got the message, but I did talk to some of his PCC staff about an approach to completely bypass the MSM and reach 3/4ths of the population. Some of us have been working on that....

-t

Sounds interesting. I'd love to get involved in something like that, if it works half as well as you suggest. With technology historically being the greatest driving factor for change, lets hope the internet 2.0 era opens up the field for Liberty lovers!

And I agree, I want to see Dr. Paul run. First, he should run to win. When you're trying to save a nation, age becomes less of a worry. Secondly, he should run to grow the movement. Those debates were what excited and energized me and thousands of others. And that was before our economy fell of the cliff! Imagine him getting another shot at those career idiots on national television. That alone is worth it!

ronpaulhawaii
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=216604

How much did it cost to get RP into the first debate? and...

rprprs
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I think they're planning on releasing it as a major motion picture.

I heard that too. The "Academy" is all abuzz about it. Undoubtedly a shoo-in for Best Picture. ;)

fr33domfightr
10-29-2009, 12:01 PM
If Ron Paul is in good health, then he can overcome the bulk of the health concerns. To placate even more, he'd need a younger VP. To further give him the edge, he should pick a woman.

I did see him after the Reagan Library debate, at the fundraiser. I could tell he was tired, but I'm sure that was a very long day for him.

FF

specsaregood
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I wonder how much it would cost to have a poll amongst likely republican primary voters on whether they would even consider voting for Ron Paul in 1012.

sofia
10-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I wonder how much it would cost to have a poll amongst likely republican primary voters on whether they would even consider voting for Ron Paul in 1012.

this story is promising..

http://www.dailypaul.com/node/112608

specsaregood
10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
this story is promising..
http://www.dailypaul.com/node/112608

Stories are nice; but 9/12 members are hardly representative of the Republican likely primary voter base. I'd chipin for an independent poll on that simple question of whether somebody would consider voting for ron paul next presidential primary along with whether the did last time.