PDA

View Full Version : Plasma For Paul?

DrNoZone
10-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Ok, so over on another thread I flippantly suggested someone donate plasma and then donate the proceeds to RP. Now I'm starting to think this would be a sweet drive. Think how much we could send to the campaign if we all donated plasma just one time!

And I'd imagine if we did a website where people pledged to do so and then reported their donations (both kinds), we might just be able to get some media coverage out of it!

Thoughts?

Stealth4
10-01-2007, 08:45 PM
my reply from the other thread/...

duuuuuude great idea.

Instead of a Paint the Town Ron weekend we could have a organized blood drive weekend...everyone who donates wears Ron Paul shirts, hands out RP info to the people collecting blood. Do sign waves outside (im sure the donation centers would let us to sign ways in return for lots of blood donations)

EvilEngineer
10-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I'd suggested the very thing to my Meetup on sept 27th.

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/342/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=3585831

DrNoZone
10-01-2007, 09:02 PM

So I'm not the lone nut on this issue!

Seriously, who here doesn't think a concerted, organized, nationwide effort on this wouldn't garner some great media coverage?

We could target the whole thing for a 1 week period or something.

ButchHowdy
10-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Apparently someone on the Fred Thompson Forum donated a kidney. Talk about selflessness!

DrNoZone
10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Apparently someone on the Fred Thompson Forum donated a kidney. Talk about selflessness!

Selflessness is great, but this would be a great example of those free market principles RP keeps talking about.

Hope
10-01-2007, 09:05 PM
How much do they pay for plasma, out of curiosity?

richard1984
10-01-2007, 09:06 PM
I've done it once. I don't think that I can do it again. :( It wasn't very pleasant the first time.... And I had a bruise for weeks (they pulled the giant needle out too lackadaisically...).

But go for it please!!!! :D

DrNoZone
10-01-2007, 09:06 PM

I found 2 places here locally that pay you $25 your first donation and $35 for your second if you donate in the same week. Bring a friend and they throw in an extra $10. So you could make $70 for the campaign in one week.

richard1984
10-01-2007, 09:08 PM

If you do it twice in the first week you can get like $80. But you make less the more you do it, until it hardly seems worth it (like maybe $15 for a big donation).

That's not exact, but it's close...as far as I remember.

Hope
10-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Are plasma donations the same as blood donations?

I have anemia, so I can't do blood donations. But I'm wondering if I'm eligible for plasma donations. Hm.

Dustancostine
10-01-2007, 09:10 PM

Wes,
I am in your meetup and already doing it when I am in town. I will be back in town next week, maybe we can do a drive?

--Dustan

DrNoZone
10-01-2007, 09:10 PM

I have anemia, so I can't do blood donations. But I'm wondering if I'm eligible for plasma donations. Hm.

No, they're not the same, though I don't know how it would effect you if you have anemia.

EvilEngineer
10-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Wes,
I am in your meetup and already doing it when I am in town. I will be back in town next week, maybe we can do a drive?

--Dustan

K, let me know when you would be available. I'll see what we can organize. I can't do anything this weekend though, I'll be in Tulsa for a funeral.

Dartan
10-02-2007, 05:31 AM

It is different than a blood donation. If I remember correctly, they filter the red blood cells and return them to your body. So, Its possible you might be able to do it, but I would check with your doctor.

Hope
10-02-2007, 07:05 PM
I found 2 places here locally that pay you $25 your first donation and $35 for your second if you donate in the same week. Bring a friend and they throw in an extra $10. So you could make $70 for the campaign in one week.

Thanks for the info, guys! I know this is a dumb question, but who do I contact to find out about this locally? The Red Cross?

DrNoZone
10-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the info, guys! I know this is a dumb question, but who do I contact to find out about this locally? The Red Cross?

No, search Google for Plasma donations + {insert city}

GeorgiaRPFan
10-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Ugh. :eek: I'll just give money right to the campaign.