PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Official resigns in protest of the war.

Sandman33
10-27-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/10/27/u-s-official-resigns-in-protest-of-afghanistan-war-policy/?icid=main|main|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politic sdaily.com%2F2009%2F10%2F27%2Fu-s-official-resigns-in-protest-of-afghanistan-war-policy%2F%0D%0A

Matthew Hoh, the senior U.S. civilian in Afghanistan's Zabul province, resigned in protest because he believes the American effort there is simply fueling the insurgency, the Washington Post reported Tuesday. Hoh, a former Marine Corps captain who also served in Iraq, wrote a four-page letter to the State Department's head of personnel in September, and his resignation became official last week.

"I have lost understanding of and confidence in the strategic purposes of the United States' presence in Afghanistan," he wrote in the letter. "I have doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy, but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end."

Hoh's letter caused a stir in the Obama administration, and he was hastened to meetings with senior U.S. officials in Kabul and Washington. They praised his record of service and begged him to stay, offering him new positions in both locations. Hoh initially accepted the Washington job, but changed his mind a week later.

Hoh said that his act of protest and decision to speak out were painful, even "nauseating" at times, but he was strongly motivated by the friends he had lost on the battlefield and the mental anguish he has experienced since returning home. "I want people in Iowa, people in Arkansas, people in Arizona, to call their congressman and say, 'Listen, I don't think this is right,' " he explained, adding that he "is not some peacenik, pot-smoking hippie who wants everyone to be in love."

Hoh will meet with Joe Biden's foreign policy adviser this week, and will advise a reduction in troops. He said he feels the U.S. "has an obligation for it not to be a bloodbath," but that Afghans are resistant to what they see as a military occupation.

Bruno
10-27-2009, 02:19 PM
I think that guy was just interviewed on CNN

phill4paul
10-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I just read this before coming here and have to say I have an utmost respect for Mr. Hoh. As someone respected in the "inner-circles" I hope he can become a mover against foreign intervention.

Sandman33
10-27-2009, 02:44 PM
I just read this before coming here and have to say I have an utmost respect for Mr. Hoh. As someone respected in the "inner-circles" I hope he can become a mover against foreign intervention.

It's seriously going to take a miracle of awaking. For soldiers and officers to simply stop "following orders" and do what they have been trained NOT to do....and thats think for themselves.

I don't want to invade sovereign countries and kill innocent people. Plain and simple.

Meatwasp
10-27-2009, 03:34 PM
It's seriously going to take a miracle of awaking. For soldiers and officers to simply stop "following orders" and do what they have been trained NOT to do....and thats think for themselves.

I don't want to invade sovereign countries and kill innocent people. Plain and simple.

sigh,
Maybe he will be the spark to wake the others up.I certainly hope so