PDA

View Full Version : Out-Out Public Option is in...

Thrashertm
10-26-2009, 06:41 PM
The Senate version of the bill includes a public option giving states the right opt-out of the program.

My assessment: should any state opt-out, they will be paying for other states' citizens to get health care, either through direct taxation (I doubt opt-out states are still on the hook to pay into the program), or more likely through the hidden tax of deficit-spending driven inflation.

"Sen. Lamar Alexander, a Republican leader from Tennessee, said on the Senate floor Monday, in advance of Reid's announcement, that the opt-out provision isn't to be taken seriously. Medicaid, he noted, has an opt-out provision, but not one state has opted out. Public health insurance, in other words, is too popular for states to opt out."

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/26/reid-the-public-option-wi_n_334284.html

ravedown
10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Let's hope Reid leads by example and allows Nevada to opt the hell out.

angelatc
10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I think I heard that the opt-out is only good until 2014.

Thrashertm
10-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Let's hope Reid leads by example and allows Nevada to opt the hell out.

Good chance that Reid will be out of office soon any way evidently - http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jqfe1Eop9gdiz8X90dVvazbW3JcQD9BJ10OG0

jsu718
10-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Is it still free? Because I have some free time I could use on excessive trips to the ER.

phill4paul
10-26-2009, 06:47 PM
What the hell kind of a bill are they crafting? You can opt in if you don't want to opt out unless of course you choose to opt around? WTF?
Any, and I mean ANY politician that votes for this thrown together piece of trash is a total piece of shit.

Thrashertm
10-26-2009, 06:49 PM
What the hell kind of a bill are they crafting? You can opt in if you don't want to opt out unless of course you choose to opt around? WTF?
Any, and I mean ANY politician that votes for this thrown together piece of trash is a total piece of shit.

Calling a politician a piece of shit is redundant.

torchbearer
10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
opt-out of recieving but not opt-out of paying?

Fr3shjive
10-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Im pretty sure thats what they have set up.

jrkotrla
10-26-2009, 09:21 PM
anyone who deludes themselves (or others) into believing that any "health insurance" program run by the government will be supported solely by premiums and not out of the general tax revenue is ... well, deluding themselves (http://sayanythingblog.com/mobile/entry/democrats_hiding_true_cost_of_health_care_bill_by_ hiding_rate_increases_in_/).

This program will receive massive assistance from the general tax revenue (so states opting out will still pay) in addition to the costs that the government (http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/story/2243865.html?mi_rss=Opinion) is pushing off onto the states ($35 billion) that the state opting out will still have to pay.

so yes, it is "opt out of benefits" but still "pay for everyone else regardless"

this is where a state needs to say, "NO!". and let all of its citizens know to reduce the amount of federal income tax they pay by $xxx.xx to offset the benefits they are not receiving of a program the state does not participate in.

additionally, the health care doesn't kick in for 3 years, but the immediate costs do... that's how they finagle the 10 year budget as "saving money".
7years of benefits vs 10 years of costs. (http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/25379.html)

ShowMeLiberty
10-26-2009, 09:28 PM

Im pretty sure thats what they have set up.

This being the most idiotic plan ever, this is no doubt what will be passed. :(

so yes, it is "opt out of benefits" but still "pay for everyone else regardless"

this is where a state needs to say, "NO!". and let all of its citizens know to reduce the amount of federal income tax they pay by $xxx.xx to offset the benefits they are not receiving of a program the state does not participate in.

^ This.

TastyWheat
10-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Medicaid, he noted, has an opt-out provision, but not one state has opted out.
Is this true??? What the hell is wrong with my state or any state for that matter?

NYgs23
10-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, the good news is that when whatever the pass makes the problem worse, it will just be more evidence that they don't know what their doing.

Yieu
10-27-2009, 03:29 AM
Well, the good news is that when whatever the pass makes the problem worse, it will just be more evidence that they don't know what their doing.

Yet they will see it as evidence that they are not doing enough.

jmdrake
10-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Great. They're going to give the states the "right" to opt out of something that the federal government doesn't have the right to create. :rolleyes: It better allow states to opt out of the mandate too. We need to email-fax-write the hell out of Olympia Snowe because that traitor is in the drivers seat right now.

Bucjason
10-27-2009, 06:17 AM

Exactly .

We're still going to have to subsidize this bullshit whether our state opts out or not , so why would anyone opt out??

I thought the negative polls and the tea parties stopped the public option?? Why won't these fuckers give up already !! They just will not quit until they shove some behemoth down our throat...it feels hopeless.... :(

Bucjason
10-27-2009, 06:25 AM
Is this true??? What the hell is wrong with my state or any state for that matter?

Because it's an entitlement they can promise thier constituents . Of course they aren't going to opt out of medicaid. If they did , thier political opponents would destroy them by saying they want to kill Grandma.

Krugerrand
10-27-2009, 06:30 AM
Because it's an entitlement they can promise thier constituents . Of course they aren't going to opt out of medicaid. If they did , thier political opponents would destroy them by saying they want to kill Grandma.

I bet you hate old people. :rolleyes: