PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Johnson Laying Groundwork for President Run

tajitj
10-26-2009, 06:00 PM
This is not a competition with Ron Paul or Campaign for Liberty. Gary is forming a 527 group, the C4L is a 501 lobbying organization. Garys 527 will be able to do things the C4L can't do by law. If anything we are about to have a partner who can advocate for candidates, issues or help organize people, these are things Campaign for Liberty can't do and everyone wants them to do.

For example Garys "Our America" could run national ads advocating for HR 1207. Also running for President is something Gary absolutely can't comment on by law, so don't expect him to be talking as if he is running. This is an organization he said he'll use to "speak on the issues of the day"

Here is the WIKI for 527 organizations. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/527_Organization) The Club for Growth, Moveon.org, Swift Boat Veterans for Truth are 527's. They have a much broader ability to raise money and advertise to support candidates through their advocating certain issues.

It's official "Our America" a 527 is coming out soon! Gary Johnson spoke to the SanteFeNewMexican (http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local%20News/Group-wants-Johnson-back-on-ballot)and said this

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson had little to say Monday about a new "grassroots" Web site promoting a Johnson candidacy for president. But Johnson said he soon will be launching a new Web site of his own as a platform "to speak out on the issues of the day."

While Johnson wouldn't confirm or deny he'll run for president, he said in a telephone interview that he's been busy setting up a tax-exempt "527 committee," for which he'll be listed as The "honorary chairman" and a Web site. Besides being a vehicle to promote his libertarian, small-government ideas, the committee, to be called "Our America," will be a way to raise money, Johnson said. "It's days from going up," he said of his site.

That "grassroots" website is JohnsonforAmerica.com (http://johnsonforamerica.com/) and GaryJohnson2012.com (http://www.garyjohnson2012.com) is also up and running.

Race42012 has posted (http://race42008.com/2009/10/26/breaking-johnson-laying-groundwork-for-president-run/) even more breaking info

He will be hitting the trail hard soon, traveling the country to speak in support of issues and candidates, re-immersing himself in the public policy debate.

This December, Governor Johnson will also be releasing a book entitled “Seven Principles Of Good Government,” published by The Heartland Institute (a conservative-libertarian think tank).
So we have a book to look forward too! Making that a New York Times bestseller will be a must.

VOTE UP at REDDIT (http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/9y8f3/former_gov_of_new_mexico_gary_johnson_to_start/)
&
DIGG IT (http://digg.com/politics/Gary_Johnson_s_Our_America_initiative_is_coming_so on)

kathy88
10-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Will do. Thanks for posting. I haven't read too much about him lately. A refresher will be great.

Todd
10-26-2009, 07:21 PM
great info. If Paul doesn't run, he's a viable candidate

pacelli
10-26-2009, 07:21 PM
NO, something is wrong with that information. Look.

Look at the Heartland Institute regarding his book:

Seven Principles of Good Government: Gary E. Johnson
School Reform News > October 2000
Education
Education > Interviews
Email a Friend
Written By: Gary E. Johnson
Published In: School Reform News > October 2000
Publication date: 10/01/2000
Publisher: The Heartland Institute

1. Become reality-driven. Don't kid yourself or others. Find out what's what and base your decisions and actions on that.

2. Always be honest and tell the truth. It is extremely difficult to do any real damage to people who are willing to tell the truth regardless of the consequences.

3. Always do what's right and fair. Remember, the more you actually accomplish, the louder your critics become. Learn to ignore them. Maintain your integrity and continue to do what's right.

4. Determine your goal. Develop a plan to reach that goal. Then act--don't procrastinate.

5. Make sure everyone who ought to know what you're doing, knows what you're doing.

6. Don't hesitate to deliver bad news. Acknowledge mistakes immediately. There may still be time to salvage things or to make corrections. Take Henry Kissinger's advice: "Anything that will be revealed eventually, should be revealed immediately."

7. Be willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. If your job doesn't excite you enough to follow this principle, resign and get a job you love enough to do what it takes.

The link you have in the OP says this:

This December, Governor Johnson will also be releasing a book entitled “Seven Principles Of Good Government,” published by The Heartland Institute (a conservative-libertarian think tank).

;)

AbolishTheGovt
10-27-2009, 12:38 AM
NO, something is wrong with that information. Look.

Look at the Heartland Institute regarding his book:

The link you have in the OP says this:

;)

What you cited is an article that Gary published in the Heartland Institute's "School Reform News" Journal back in 2000.

The Race42012 website is saying that Gary is coming out with a whole book, of the same name, in December, 2009.

Elwar
10-27-2009, 07:11 AM
That Race 4 2008 site seems like it's mainly Romney supporters...

tajitj
10-27-2009, 07:14 AM
That Race 4 2008 site seems like it's mainly Romney supporters...

Yes and the comment section turned into a cliche of what is wrong with the party. A back a forth about him being an isolationist.

itshappening
10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
yeah!

Flash
10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Awesome!

LibertyEagle
10-27-2009, 12:57 PM
If he's running as a Libertarian, few will even know, much less care.

AbolishTheGovt
10-27-2009, 01:28 PM

He's running as a Republican.

Austin
10-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Hopefully we will Paul and Johnson run in 2012, both as Republican.

Todd
10-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Hopefully we will Paul and Johnson run in 2012, both as Republican.

That doesn't sound bad at all

And Dugg!

Elwar
10-28-2009, 07:26 AM

He's been urged a few times to run for the LP president spot. His response: "I'm a Republican".

Flash
10-29-2009, 01:55 PM

I doubt it. He was a Republican Governor.

sofia
10-29-2009, 01:57 PM
no thanks. i'll stick with Ron.

I dont trust this dude Johnson.

I dont mistrust him...but i dont trust him either.

Flash
10-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Do you think he was simply lying about ending the war on drugs while he was a Governor? I don't think so.

Flash
11-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Supporters call for former Gov. Johnson to run for president

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1236534.shtml?cat=513

Former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson for president? That's what a handful of Web sites are calling for in 2012, and now there's even a commercial on YouTube.

On the web, a grassroots campaign seems to be picking up steam, but the former governor says he has nothing to do with it.

He is, however, launching a Web site complete with a tax-exempt political committee, which can be used to raise a lot of political money.

Johnson said, "I think its flattering. I don't have comment— I haven't even seen then actually."

He says he can't talk about a future run, because he's in the final stages of forming a 527 political committee.

"Part of this 527 committee, I can not comment at all about. I have no notion for running for federal office… I can not comment on it in any way, and that is the laws as they are written," Johnson said.

The Republican says there are still plenty of other things to talk about.

"I'm upset A to Z with the spending that is taking place nationally, with the spending that is on the local level, and the bottom line taxes are going up and bottom line we are going to get less for what we pay into this," he said.

Supporters seem to agree— Facebook pages have been set up supporting him for president.

Another Web site is selling mugs, t-shirts, and bumper stickers.

Johnson says the only site he's approved is still days away from being launched, but once it's up, he won't keep quiet about what he thinks needs to change.

"That starts with the drunken sailor spending that exists at the national level and certainly at the state level and come on, come on lets something about it," he said.

Ian A.
11-07-2009, 07:58 PM
It looks like Johnson is being a bit silly. He's talking about climbing Everest and competing in a foot race as his accomplishments.

Yeah, but I bet Ventura could give him a helluva body slam! ;)

constituent
11-08-2009, 09:32 AM
So we can call this one official enough?

constituent
11-08-2009, 09:38 AM

Why make it about one or the other? Do you really believe that either has a chance of winning?

He's a politician.

(Show me one person running for office who isn't.)

I would mistrust him as "president," but the same goes for any president.

However, as a "candidate" Gary Johnson will be ratings gold.

(and that's enough for me.)

Meatwasp
11-08-2009, 09:59 AM
well if he is jumping into the race knowing Ron might be running he is just mudding the waters.
I truly wish I could like him but I haven't felt the spark yet.

constituent
11-08-2009, 11:45 AM
well if he is jumping into the race knowing Ron might be running he is just mudding the waters.

Hey meatwasp, can you elaborate on this for me? Thanks, and have a good one!

teamrican1
11-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I truly wish I could like him but I haven't felt the spark yet.

Ron Paul has said time and time again that we need to expand the pool of pro-liberty candidates and has encouraged people to run for public office. He's also warned against the dangers of allowing the movement to become a cult of personality. Gary Johnson endorsed Ron Paul for President, has spent the past few years actively working to end the war on marijuana, and was a speaker at the Ron Paul convention. The idea that he is somehow working "against" Ron Paul is absurd. Ron Paul clearly doesn't relish the idea of running for President again, and if other credible candidates emerge, it would not only be good for the movement, but for Ron as well.

Meatwasp
11-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey meatwasp, can you elaborate on this for me? Thanks, and have a good one!

Yes I can. If Ron is running and Gary jumps in, sure they can spread the word together. but when push came to shove, which it won't, the one who is best preceived should keep running and the other step down. I feel that Gary would not step down and he would split the vote.
This is just my thoughts at this time but will wait and see if Ron doesn't run I would have to do a lot of soul seaching to vote for Gary

tajitj
11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Yes I can. If Ron is running and Gary jumps in, sure they can spread the word together. but when push came to shove, which it won't, the one who is best preceived should keep running and the other step down. I feel that Gary would not step down and he would split the vote.
This is just my thoughts at this time but will wait and see if Ron doesn't run I would have to do a lot of soul seaching to vote for Gary

Read what I said in the update thread. Gary running for office might be totally off the point.

His 527 will be able to advocate for issues that we all believe in. The Campaign for Liberty is a lobbying organization, they are restricted by law against doing alot of things we all wish they could do.

The Our America Initiative will be able to advertise on TV for candidates and issues across America and much more. It is will be more like our partner, Our America can run ads to get the word out about a issue, then the C4L goes and gets the congressman and woman to sign onto a bill on the hill.

They will compliment eachother perfectly.

Endgame
11-08-2009, 12:51 PM
It looks like Johnson is being a bit silly. He's talking about climbing Everest and competing in a foot race as his accomplishments.

He seems perfect, assuming he's as... ideologically reliable as RP. His past record indicates he might be.

He's certainly got the right age and physical appearance. Typical athletic handsome alpha male type. Appearance of a generic waspy presidential candidate in his 50's with a generic Anglo surname. Not too old, not to young and callow. Seems adequate as a public speaker.

Also has enough "executive experience" to meet that "qualification".

Ideally, RP and him both run in the primary and get exposure during the debates, then one drops out and endorses the other.

The biggest threat is Palin. Not only will she not win, she's having her strings pulled by the same people as Bush.

Meatwasp
11-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Read what I said in the update thread. Gary running for office might be totally off the point.

His 527 will be able to advocate for issues that we all believe in. The Campaign for Liberty is a lobbying organization, they are restricted by law against doing alot of things we all wish they could do.

The Our America Initiative will be able to advertise on TV for candidates and issues across America and much more. It is will be more like our partner, Our America can run ads to get the word out about a issue, then the C4L goes and gets the congressman and woman to sign onto a bill on the hill.

They will compliment eachother perfectly.

Yes, this is all true but I still have this feeling about him that the Christian right will never go for him. Also is he or isn't he for woman's right to choose? If he is pro choice he is doomed.
I have nothing against pot smokers but most voters shun away from pot smokers or former pot smokers. I know I don't feel that is fair. The one thing that does bothers me is his wife died of a heart problem (broken heart?)when he disolved their marriage.
Why not concentrate on Chuck Baldwin if Ron don't run?. He is a winner all around.

tajitj
11-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, this is all true but I still have this feeling about him that the Christian right will never go for him. Also is he or isn't he for woman's right to choose? If he is pro choice he is doomed.
I have nothing against pot smokers but most voters shun away from pot smokers or former pot smokers. I know I don't feel that is fair. The one thing that does bothers me is his wife died of a heart problem (broken heart?)when he disolved their marriage.
Why not concentrate on Chuck Baldwin if Ron don't run?. He is a winner all around.

And you think the Christian right went for Paul? Have you ever heard of Mike Huckabee? That is not Ron Pauls voter base, nor will it ever be.

Notice Pauls theme for the South Caroline speech "The Politics of Tolerance"

I can see you are the type that nothing will get you to vote for a Gary Johnson since abortion and divorce are your top issues and you think someone can die from a broken heart.

Flash
11-08-2009, 01:58 PM

He has never held an office for one. Gary Johnson was a Governor. Two, third parties will NEVER be relevant.

Meatwasp
11-08-2009, 02:21 PM
And you think the Christian right went for Paul? Have you ever heard of Mike Huckabee? That is not Ron Pauls voter base, nor will it ever be.

Notice Pauls theme for the South Caroline speech "The Politics of Tolerance"

I can see you are the type that nothing will get you to vote for a Gary Johnson since abortion and divorce are your top issues and you think someone can die from a broken heart.

I am against abortion that is true. I have nothing against divorces if the two parties agree mutually. If I remember correctly a lot of you were happy that Stanford was caught in his dalliances.
Anyway I am not sure who I will vote for if Ron doesn't. It is way to early to decide . Who knows maybe some one will show up that we can ALL back.
I said my piece and Gary Johnson is out of my thoughts now.

itshappening
11-08-2009, 02:31 PM
He seems perfect, assuming he's as... ideologically reliable as RP. His past record indicates he might be.

He's certainly got the right age and physical appearance. Typical athletic handsome alpha male type. Appearance of a generic waspy presidential candidate in his 50's with a generic Anglo surname. Not too old, not to young and callow. Seems adequate as a public speaker.

Also has enough "executive experience" to meet that "qualification".

Ideally, RP and him both run in the primary and get exposure during the debates, then one drops out and endorses the other.

The biggest threat is Palin. Not only will she not win, she's having her strings pulled by the same people as Bush.

Not sure how much of the vote palin will get IF she decides to run, along with Huck they would split alot...

I'm convincing myself Johnson can win NH ifhe campaigns hard and has the activist base and runs a good campaign there... they should like him? I dont know the Republican NH primary voter. it will be tough for him to make an impression in Iowa where they vote along religeous lines

Endgame
11-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Not sure how much of the vote palin will get IF she decides to run, along with Huck they would split alot...

I'm convincing myself Johnson can win NH ifhe campaigns hard and has the activist base and runs a good campaign there... they should like him? I dont know the Republican NH primary voter. it will be tough for him to make an impression in Iowa where they vote along religeous lines

The FSP crowd definitely have their work cut out for them.

Brian Defferding
11-09-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm all for supporting Gary Johnson. I would be willing to help his campaign, volunteer if necessary.

Elwar
11-09-2009, 01:41 PM

No, Johnson is not being "silly". The http://www.garyjohnson2012.com is a Draft Gary Johnson website with no connection to the campaign.

I put his athletic accomplishments on there because for 90% of voters, they want to vote for an image...not a good record. John McCain basically won because he was in a Vietnam slave camp. Bob Dole won because he was a war hero. George H.W. Bush was on a navy boat that sank...GW Bush won because his last name is Bush.

Another candidate might list their military service, this gives an image of a disciplined individual. I put a few of his tougher physical accomplishments to highlight a bit of his character. Climbing Mount Everest despite a broken leg tells a lot about his determination.

Matt Collins
11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
YouTube - Gary Johnson 2012: Meet Gary Johnson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSao9_JiIXc)

Ian A.
11-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I have a strong feeling that Jesse Ventura will run as well. If you have reasons why Johnson would be a better choice please contribute to my post here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=214515

I included a video where Bill Mayer says Johnson was a lame duck when he said weed should be legalized.

If I had to choose on ideological grounds (from what little I know), I'd pick Johnson, but my horse race mindset thinks Ventura is a much wiser choice.

Flash
11-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Gary Johnson in the news again:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/gary/johnson/prweb3180944.htm

hueylong
11-09-2009, 10:45 PM
They really need to re-frame the way they're talking about Drug Policy Reform.

It's a non-starter the way they've got the message positioned.