PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Lending Bust Heats up

powerofreason
10-24-2009, 07:26 PM
From the lewrockwell.com blog:

Banks and Commercial Lending Bust
Posted by Karen De Coster on October 24, 2009 05:45 PM

Yesterday, seven more banks were closed – quietly – as the number reached 106 for the year. The Wall Street Journal has an interactive map of bank failures (131) since the beginning of 2008. On a related note, as the commercial real estate bust heats up, Capmark Financial Group, Inc. (formerly GMAC Commercial Holding Corp.) one of the largest commercial real estate lenders in the U.S., is heading into bankruptcy.

Capmark has originated more than $10 billion in commercial real-estate loans, according to Moody’s Investors Service.

It also represents a blow to the company’s private-equity owners. In 2006, a group led by KKR & Co., Goldman Sachs Capital Partners and Five Mile Capital Partners acquired the lender GMAC LLC’s commercial-real estate business and renamed it Capmark. As of March 31, the investor group owned about 75% of the company, with GMAC and its employees owning the balance.

The Horsham, Pa., company recently reported a $1.6 billion second-quarter loss and warned it might be forced to seek Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. KKR has already written down its investment in Capmark to zero.

tpreitzel
10-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Interesting ... I was talking to a local contractor yesterday and he admitted to a drop in residential construction. Like many, he was hopeful that new construction would pick up in the near future. I mentioned that the commercial real estate market was likely to follow the residential market downward in the foreseeable future due to the financial crisis which is still unfolding. Yes, I talked to him about the US dollar as the reserve currency of the world for petroleum purchases and the nervousness of foreign countries about holding our massive debt in lieu of a depreciating dollar. Like many people, he didn't realize that we were literally exporting our debt and inflation to other nations which helped to mitigate inflation at home.

ShowMeLiberty
10-24-2009, 08:21 PM
That WSJ interactive map (http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/documents/info-Failed_Banks-sort.html) Karen mentions is pretty interesting. Guess which bubble is WAMU. LOL.