PDA

View Full Version : planning permission question

AshleyLawsonEire
10-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Hey there, i wonder if anyone here who can help me, i have a question regarding planning permission, i'm not sure if thats the same thing as a construction permit in the US or not but anyway.

Planning permission or planning consent is the permission required in the United Kingdom (or Ireland) in order to be allowed to build on land, or change the use of land or buildings.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planning_permission

Now i was helping my dad with some work in the garden the other week, i don't know how the subject came about but we were talking about govourment regulations. I basically said "as a Libertarian, i dont believe in regulations" to which he replied that, that was crazy, he said "what about planning permission, what if someone was to build a block of flats in that field".

We live in the irish countryside and i doubt anyone would ever build a block of flats in the field next to us, but his argument was one i had to think about, someone could build a giant slaughter house right next to our house if they so desired (under Libertarian principles). It was the only argument i couldn't seem to fight, it seemed unfair to me that someone could purchase that land and quite easily devalue our home, stop any direct sunlight and make planty of noise etc, etc.

As I write this question i beleive i've come up with the answer, simply put if we don't want consturction to take place near our home we must buy that land.

This is not about to happen lol, but local autharities are planning to put a bypass near our house which will be noisy, only thing is, there not buying land they're taking it. :) crooks.