PDA

View Full Version : If you have a minute..POLL

American
10-01-2007, 06:19 PM
They have a CNN poll asking if American should be an english only country.

i think it should, care to vote?

thanks

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/hispanic.heritage/index.html

Oh damn, this isnt RP related....wrong forum..:(

DahuiHeeNalu
10-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I voted :D

happyphilter
10-01-2007, 06:23 PM
yes english only!

Trassin
10-01-2007, 06:24 PM
I voted No

jumpyg1258
10-01-2007, 06:25 PM
I look at it this way. When we as a nation migrated west, the Native Americans decided to learn English in order to become part of the society here as have many immigrants in our history up until about the past 50 years or so. One thing is clear, legal immigrants learn English in order to become part of society and integrate while illegal ones mostly do not care about our society or ways and are only seeking money to send back home and out of our economy.

ctb619
10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
"Should America be English language only?"

What does that even mean?

I voted 'no'

happyphilter
10-01-2007, 06:29 PM
YES. ill be damned if i have to learn another language so i can get a Twinkie at the 7/11
As far as im concerned, if they want to come here they should learn the language.

I wouldn't move to japan and not learn Japanese. thats ignorant.

Elwar
10-01-2007, 06:29 PM
I voted si.

QWE
10-01-2007, 06:30 PM
We don't have an official language now and we don't need one. It's unnecessary government crap, I vote no.

LibertyEagle
10-01-2007, 06:35 PM
YES.

For one, I'm sick and tired of the press 1 for English BS. I'm also tired of paying for things being printed in multiple languages. What's next? Highway signs in 2 languages?

For those of you who think multiple languages in this country is just dandy, you should go check out Quebec. They will tell you it was a BIG mistake.

happyphilter
10-01-2007, 06:45 PM
YES.

For one, I'm sick and tired of the press 1 for English BS. I'm also tired of paying for things being printed in multiple languages. What's next? Highway signs in 2 languages?

For those of you who think multiple languages in this country is just dandy, you should go check out Quebec. They will tell you it was a BIG mistake.

amen. Why are we supposed to conform because of the laziness of an immigrating people?(mostly illegal) Im damn sure when my great great grandparents came here they AND their children knew english.

Hope
10-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Um, guys. They're not asking whether you-with-magical-powers would like America to be English only.

They're asking whether the federal government should step in and mandate English only.

If I had a What Would Ron Paul Do? macro, I'd so use it right now.

dircha
10-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Hold on here. Let's think about this.

Is it consistent with our values to declare that America shall be an English-only nation? This declaration as it is worded is very broad.

Shouldn't we let the market decide which language or languages will prevail?

I am opposed to any prescriptive declaration that America shall be an English-only nation.

dircha
10-01-2007, 07:04 PM
The Constitution does not prescribe a language.

The selection of language or languages is implicit in the carrying out of the essential functions of government set forth in the Constitution.

No criteria or process is provided by the Constitution for this selection.

LibertyOfOne
10-01-2007, 07:24 PM
I have no problem with the law being English only, but to mandate that business or people must use it exclusively? Insane................

LibertyOfOne
10-01-2007, 07:33 PM
We could take this time and change the law to some dead language that way the meaning of it won't get misconstrued over the years like the constitution.