PDA

View Full Version : Step #1: Let's Start a Club

wizardwatson
10-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Some examples of what I think we need:

Organizational Needs

Mission Statement
By-laws, rules ( The first rule of Fight Club is ... )
Club-like set up with dues paying members, treasurer, secretary, president

Resource Needs

Database Information (mailing list, member surveys, member information, public servant information)
Meeting Locations ( who's house/office/conference room/garage can we use )
Money ( member dues, fundraisers )
Non-Money Resources (donated food, garden trading, labor volunteers )

I'm trying to break things into very simple components. I'm all for keeping the organizational overhead minimal and simplistic.

For example, lets say the first objective is to write the mission statement. Well, everyone interested could become a member, any member interested could submit a mission statement, and say 2/3 majority makes it our mission statement.

Then we do same for by-laws, then we fill our positions based on by-laws, then get a war room together, brainstorm some action plans, execute, wash, rinse, repeat. Main point is this is all done as transparently and collaboratively as possible.

Now everything above that I typed is kind of base stuff that bores everyone to death but I think is very necessary and very lacking in our efforts. And I also had hoped that CFL was going to fill this need but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. CFL seems exclusively focused on applying direct political pressure, not to mention it's still very top down .

I would like to see more creative things done like film and art projects centered around the overall mission. Good-natured pranking and marketing like the Cacophony Society. I'm am not convinced we can deal with the forces that are upsetting our center of gravity by either military, economic, or political means at this point. We need to substantially grow the movement first, and refine the communication and message better, and tailor it to each market better as well. But this can't be done without some organizational discipline. I want an organization/club/society that represents the 'essence' of real government and real community.

I really want us to brainstorm. How can we group together? How can we be aware of how many RPF'ers are out there?

So Step #1: Let's start a club. Let's share what we know, who we know, and what we have.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Deborah K
10-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, we have the documentary that's out now, and it documents how the grassroots movement worked for Ron Paul. It's quite educational.

I personally know and have contact info for many people in the movement but will give them to you in private.

I've got experience organizing events, and lobbying congress as a private citizen.

My wish list is:

I'd like us to come up with a neighborhood network project that can be implemented in any community to get us through a shtf scenario. (I've already started this for my neighborhood, but haven't implemented it yet.)

I'd like to see a alternative currency plan. Like the one you proposed.

Alternative communication plans.

Working with and not against the military and police forces by educating them on their oath to uphold the constitution.

I'd like to see a plan of action on waking more people up.

I'd like to see projects that promote RP-like candidates - like Trevor's project. We need more of this.

I'd like to see massive, organized events that include large groups of people who alternate following career politicians around 24 hrs a day, from car to office to home to wherever, shouting out questions like: Why have you allowed our country to get so far in debt? Why are you allowing us to be sold out to the international banking system? Why are we being taxed for breathing? Harrass them in a civil disobedient sort of way using signs, bullhorns, chants, and of course, recording and toobing everything!

I like to see a tax revolt!

I'd like to see organized mass emails and calls to the media and radio which include threats of boycotting advertisers if they don't start REPORTING the NEWS!!

raystone
10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
http://arminarm.org/

This group has some talented people that have started it.

Deborah K
10-23-2009, 03:28 PM
http://arminarm.org/

This group has some talented people that have started it.

Looked it over, pretty cool.

Deborah K
10-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Okay after further review of the site, Raystone, there doesn't seem to be any political action only survival type info, which is good and we can use that, but I think our focus, since RPFs has been a sort of think-tank and project launcher for political action, that we should continue on with trying to get our own group going.

tpreitzel
10-23-2009, 03:51 PM
My wish list is:

I'd like us to come up with a neighborhood network project that can be implemented in any community to get us through a shtf scenario. (I've already started this for my neighborhood, but haven't implemented it yet.)

I'd like to see a alternative currency plan. Like the one you proposed.

Alternative communication plans.

Working with and not against the military and police forces by educating them on their oath to uphold the constitution.

I'd like to see a plan of action on waking more people up.

I'd like to see projects that promote RP-like candidates - like Trevor's project. We need more of this.

Smart. If one wants to make it through a crisis, one needs a plan to bring OTHERS along with him. If one thinks mere guns and self defense measures will get one through a crisis, one is sadly mistaken. Hence, the creation of an independent infrastructure, i.e. money, communication, food, security and transportation, locally is vitally necessary for one's survival as the benefits will potentially extend to everyone in the local community.

wizardwatson
10-23-2009, 04:02 PM
My wish list is:

I agree with pretty much everything you're wanting to do. We do need those plans, but right now everyone is writing there own plans ( mostly just in our heads ) and there isn't a lot of collaboration going on. At least from my perspective.

And I think perhaps all we need to jumpstart collaboration is a highly transparent organization that basically makes plans and decisions about resources towards the goals we're all mostly aware of.

CFL does not accomplish this.

wizardwatson
10-23-2009, 04:23 PM
...I think our focus, since RPFs has been a sort of think-tank and project launcher for political action, that we should continue on with trying to get our own group going.

Not only do I agree with this, I think many people have left these forums, or have at least been staying away more because this has not yet been realized.

Because we're all user's on this VBulletin software doesn't mean we're an organization. The software I think creates that illusion for a lot of people though.

Here's the ultimate point:

How can we claim to be THE movement of self-government when we are self-governing so damned horribly?
EDIT: This line above is kind of not well thought out/said, but I'll leave it up.

Not taking a stab at anyone. I'm not an expert either, I'm looking for the right answers/strategies two.

Dreamofunity
10-23-2009, 05:47 PM
The first rule...

centure7
10-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Some examples of what I think we need:

Organizational Needs

Mission Statement
By-laws, rules ( The first rule of Fight Club is ... )
Club-like set up with dues paying members, treasurer, secretary, president

Resource Needs

Database Information (mailing list, member surveys, member information, public servant information)
Meeting Locations ( who's house/office/conference room/garage can we use )
Money ( member dues, fundraisers )
Non-Money Resources (donated food, garden trading, labor volunteers )

I'm trying to break things into very simple components. I'm all for keeping the organizational overhead minimal and simplistic.

For example, lets say the first objective is to write the mission statement. Well, everyone interested could become a member, any member interested could submit a mission statement, and say 2/3 majority makes it our mission statement.

Then we do same for by-laws, then we fill our positions based on by-laws, then get a war room together, brainstorm some action plans, execute, wash, rinse, repeat. Main point is this is all done as transparently and collaboratively as possible.

Now everything above that I typed is kind of base stuff that bores everyone to death but I think is very necessary and very lacking in our efforts. And I also had hoped that CFL was going to fill this need but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. CFL seems exclusively focused on applying direct political pressure, not to mention it's still very top down .

I would like to see more creative things done like film and art projects centered around the overall mission. Good-natured pranking and marketing like the Cacophony Society. I'm am not convinced we can deal with the forces that are upsetting our center of gravity by either military, economic, or political means at this point. We need to substantially grow the movement first, and refine the communication and message better, and tailor it to each market better as well. But this can't be done without some organizational discipline. I want an organization/club/society that represents the 'essence' of real government and real community.

I really want us to brainstorm. How can we group together? How can we be aware of how many RPF'ers are out there?

So Step #1: Let's start a club. Let's share what we know, who we know, and what we have.

Thoughts/Opinions?

I agree but it seems like whenever I ask help with something boring I get NO interest in it. No interest at all. Who is actually willing to do boring work? I am but I don't know who else. I mean I asked for help last week and got no response. Makes me wonder if people are really serious about this or they just like to talk the talk. If even three people respond to this and say they are willing to do boring work then I'll agree its a good idea. Otherwise its pretty much a lost cause.

tpreitzel
10-23-2009, 07:33 PM
You're proposing an idea similar to one espoused by Catherine Austin Fitts. Personally, I'd contact her for ideas before proceeding further. No one says you HAVE to contact her, but I'd recommend it based on her experience along these lines. You'll likely gain valuable information. Personally, I'd try NOT to formalize a local group into an organization. Rather, I'd seek out similarly minded individuals and proceed from there. So, if I were involved, I'd simply keep a list of contacts in an area and then refer people in that area to one or more of those contacts. Let the contacts determine their own course of action or none at all. If those contacts choose to do nothing, they'll likely suffer the consequences when the system finally collapses. You can't FORCE people to act, but you can ENCOURAGE people to act by giving them the facts and personal contacts.

See her blog at : http://solari.com/blog/

wizardwatson
10-24-2009, 08:23 AM
I agree but it seems like whenever I ask help with something boring I get NO interest in it. No interest at all. Who is actually willing to do boring work? I am but I don't know who else. I mean I asked for help last week and got no response. Makes me wonder if people are really serious about this or they just like to talk the talk. If even three people respond to this and say they are willing to do boring work then I'll agree its a good idea. Otherwise its pretty much a lost cause.

All I do is boring work anyway at my real job. I'm willing.

I get your frustration though. There are too many project leads and not enough volunteers. That's why I think this is something that is needed. We need a way to submit and peer review plans and ideas and allocate our resources (volunteers/money) to that which is most inline with our strategic goals. For that we need some organizational scaffolding under the movement.

wizardwatson
10-24-2009, 08:42 AM
You're proposing an idea similar to one espoused by Catherine Austin Fitts. Personally, I'd contact her for ideas before proceeding further. No one says you HAVE to contact her, but I'd recommend it based on her experience along these lines. You'll likely gain valuable information. Personally, I'd try NOT to formalize a local group into an organization. Rather, I'd seek out similarly minded individuals and proceed from there. So, if I were involved, I'd simply keep a list of contacts in an area and then refer people in that area to one or more of those contacts. Let the contacts determine their own course of action or none at all. If those contacts choose to do nothing, they'll likely suffer the consequences when the system finally collapses. You can't FORCE people to act, but you can ENCOURAGE people to act by giving them the facts and personal contacts.

See her blog at : http://solari.com/blog/

Fitts was one of the original people I read about when trying to research alternative economic/currency systems. She still blogs, but as far as I know, there are no operating solari's. In fact I happened upon her forums for their "Community Wizard" project a few days ago, and they haven't had a post in a couple years. So she's still around, but her efforts have also fizzled for the most part. I did learn quite a bit reading her material though.

Her model is an investment model, and it's not really that simple, especially from a set up angle. What I'm proposing is more like a simple non-profit club with member dues.

And I don't think having group structure for the purposes of strategizing/planning/defending is necessarily going to formalize anything to an irreversible degree.

It's about the structure of the groups/members and how they are currently interacting that I want addressed. If we had a list of ten thousand names and $10K, how and who decides what to do with it?

EDIT: Here's the solari forums http://www.solariactionnetwork.com/phpbb/

krazy kaju
10-24-2009, 09:49 AM
F.A. Hayek proposed an alternative currency plan that could be carried out privately and legally, in the United States at least. A bank, credit union, etc. could issue a new "token" currency redeemable in and pegged to USD. This would make it legal tender in the United States. However, this company could expand the money supply slower than the USD, making the token currency worth more than the dollar itself.

RoamZero
10-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Doesn't Campaign for Liberty do a lot of this? Open up a local c4l meetup or something.

wizardwatson
10-25-2009, 10:05 AM
F.A. Hayek proposed an alternative currency plan that could be carried out privately and legally, in the United States at least. A bank, credit union, etc. could issue a new "token" currency redeemable in and pegged to USD. This would make it legal tender in the United States. However, this company could expand the money supply slower than the USD, making the token currency worth more than the dollar itself.

I'm not focused on the alternative currency idea right now. I was definitely the last couple years, but recently I've been trying to get involved on a more basic level.

wizardwatson
10-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Doesn't Campaign for Liberty do a lot of this? Open up a local c4l meetup or something.

All the contact I get from C4L is call/email/fax x person and send money to C4L.

But I don't want this thread to be about critiquing C4L, I'm more interested in brainstorming interactive activities we can do to grow membership, and how we can share community information more effectively to accomplish our overall goals.

I'm still throwing this around in my head too, so I don't have a lot of solid ideas right now.

Basically I think we need ( I need ) to write up some organizational documents, and submit some ideas for action plans as well as information gathering/storing ideas.

I just feel like everyone is doing everything in the dark.

krazy kaju
10-25-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm not focused on the alternative currency idea right now. I was definitely the last couple years, but recently I've been trying to get involved on a more basic level.

It's possible to do this completely separately and (hopefully) profitably. We just need to get some businesses in on this.

Deborah K
10-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Wizard, I think alternative currency plans need to be a part of this. I see you posted in my thread about getting organized. There are some decent ideas from posters in there as well. I still want to do this, but I've injured my back and sitting hurts a lot right now. When I'm back up to par let's get this going. I'm feeling a sense of urgency. We really need to get a "how to" handbook together to give to people to start network projects in their communities. It needs to include currency plans.

centure7
10-27-2009, 07:06 AM
All I do is boring work anyway at my real job. I'm willing.

I get your frustration though. There are too many project leads and not enough volunteers. That's why I think this is something that is needed. We need a way to submit and peer review plans and ideas and allocate our resources (volunteers/money) to that which is most inline with our strategic goals. For that we need some organizational scaffolding under the movement.

Its great that you are willing to do something boring every now and then. I suppose the OP is #2. Thats two people willing to do something boring in all of Liberty Forums so far. Anybody else? Because the OP is right about step #1. Just like the Free State Project took a semi-organized bottom-up effort to take off so too does the Ron Paul liberty movement. CFL is a top-down effort and so won't have the legs to really take off.

wizardwatson
10-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Its great that you are willing to do something boring every now and then. I suppose the OP is #2. Thats two people willing to do something boring in all of Liberty Forums so far. Anybody else? Because the OP is right about step #1. Just like the Free State Project took a semi-organized bottom-up effort to take off so too does the Ron Paul liberty movement. CFL is a top-down effort and so won't have the legs to really take off.

There's more out there, what we need are concrete missions and objectives.

Each mission idea could be submitted by anyone, reviewed, rated, and a price tag put on it. Missions/plans would then be assessed by organization leadership for inclusion in the budget, approve budget, execute, wash, rinse, repeat. The idea is to do this as transparently as possible to foster creative solutions to organizational obstacles, as its doubtful we won't be stumbling at first.

Getting Rand/Schiff/RP elected is a tactic in this movement not a mission. The supposed mission is to get Ron Paul Republicans inside the political establishment and start repealing lots of stuff. But due to the relatively small size of the movement currently, all these "Ron Paul Republican" campaigns together with CFL and its national issue-based approach are basically siphoning off 100% of the movements liquid capital, and basically offer no leadership on what to do with our non-liquid assets like volunteers and non-monetary assets ( free meeting places, free food ).