PDA

View Full Version : The best bill that has not yet been conceived.

Bman
10-23-2009, 02:59 AM
I have to give credit to Jesse Benton on Neil Cavoto for this general idea, but I think we should see if Dr. Paul would introduce a new bill into congress. I also believe we could get support for it, because we can certainly keep the phones ringing in D.C.

The bill should be simple and should go something to the effect of:

Section 1. Short Title.
This Act may be cited as the 'Balanced Budget Act of 2009'

Section 2. Balance the Budget.

a.) Congress must balance the budget per fical year.

b.) Fiscal years ending in debt shall result in restitution of Congressional pay to treasury.

So what do you all think?

nayjevin
10-23-2009, 03:32 AM
b.) Fiscal years ending in debt shall result in restitution of Congressional pay to treasury.

Even then I don't see how to get the money back to taxpayers, that's why I suggest the treasury coffers instead.

Bman
10-23-2009, 03:53 AM

Even then I don't see how to get the money back to taxpayers, that's why I suggest the treasury coffers instead.

Good point. Adopted.

werdd
10-23-2009, 05:21 AM
How could the big government types honestly argue against something like this? They would have to come out right and say they support runaway spending and inflation.

NYgs23
10-23-2009, 01:06 PM
How could the big government types honestly argue against something like this? They would have to come out right and say they support runaway spending and inflation.

They would say that sometimes you might need deficits. "What if there is a war. Or a natural disaster. Or a pandemic. Or an economic collapse like the one we're experiencing. Then surely Congress just has to deficit spend. And surely Congressmen have a right to fair pay, along with each and every the citizens in this great land of ours."

ClayTrainor
10-23-2009, 01:17 PM
They would say that sometimes you might need deficits. "What if there is a war. Or a natural disaster. Or a pandemic. Or an economic collapse like the one we're experiencing. Then surely Congress just has to deficit spend. And surely Congressmen have a right to fair pay, along with each and every the citizens in this great land of ours."

Then you bring up the Iraq war, the Afghanistan war, Hurricane Katrina and the 140+ occupied nations with 700+ bases, and say enough is enough. You want a refund! :p

Bman
10-23-2009, 04:57 PM

Exactly, with people so outraged at government spending they'd have trouble trying to convince the mass population that running debts is a good thing.

Brian4Liberty
10-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Lol! For some reason, I thought you were going somewhere else with that... :D

Section 1. Short Title.
This Act may be cited as the 'Balanced Budget Act of 2009'

Section 2. Balance the Budget.

a.) Congress must balance the budget per fical year.

b.) Fiscal years ending in debt shall result in execution of Congress.

lx43
10-23-2009, 08:57 PM
http://www.downsizedc.org

DownsizeDC is pushing this bill to reduce the pay of Congressmen for not balancing the budget.

Below is the list of co-sponsors and the proposal.

H.R. 500 has been sponsored by Rep. Nathan Deal [GA-9], and currently has the following co-sponsors: Rep Roscoe Bartlett [MD-6], Rep Phil English [PA-3], Rep Jeff Flake [AZ-6], Rep Phil Gingrey [GA-11], Rep Jeff Miller [FL-1], Rep Ron Paul [TX-14], Rep Lynn Westmoreland [GA-3]. UPDATE: Since DownsizeDC.org launched this campaign, additional co-sponsors have been added: Rep Virgil H. Goode, Jr. [VA-5], Rep J. Gresham Barrett [SC-3], Rep Brian Bilbray [CA-50], Rep Jo Ann Emerson [MO-8], and Rep George Radanovich [CA-19].

Here is the full text of H.R. 500

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 500

To provide that pay for Members of Congress be reduced following any fiscal year in which there is a Federal deficit.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 16, 2007

Mr. DEAL of Georgia introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on House Administration, and in addition to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

A BILL

To provide that pay for Members of Congress be reduced following any fiscal year in which there is a Federal deficit.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the 'Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.

For the purpose of this Act--

(1) a 'deficit' shall be considered to exist in a fiscal year if total budget outlays of the Government for such fiscal year exceed total revenues of the Government for such fiscal year (as determined under section 3(d)); and

(2) the term 'Member of Congress' or 'Member' means an individual serving in a position referred to in section 601(a)(1) of the Legislative Reorganization Act of 1946 (2 U.S.C. 31(1)).

SEC. 3. EFFECT OF A DEFICIT.

(a) In General- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if there is a deficit in a fiscal year, then--

(1) any pay adjustment for Members of Congress scheduled to take effect under section 601(a) of the Legislative Reorganization Act of 1946 (2 U.S.C. 31) in the succeeding calendar year shall be null and void; and

(2) effective as of the first day of the first pay period beginning in that succeeding calendar year, rates of basic pay for Members of Congress shall be reduced (from the rate in effect as of the day before the start of such succeeding calendar year) by the amount determined under subsection (b), but not below zero.

(b) Reductions Required- The reduction required under this subsection is as follows:

(1) If the reduction is to take effect in a calendar year that does not immediately follow another calendar year in which a reduction under this section was made, the reduction amount shall be equal to 5 percent of the rate of basic pay last in effect before such reduction is made.

(2) If the reduction is to take effect in a calendar year that immediately follows another calendar year in which a reduction under this section was made, the reduction amount shall be equal to 10 percent of the rate of basic pay last in effect before the most recent reduction under paragraph (1) was made.

(c) Conditions for Restoration- If, following one or more years in which Members' pay is reduced under this Act, there occurs a fiscal year in which there is no deficit, then, effective as of the first day of the first pay period in the succeeding calendar year (and until another deficit triggering the preceding provisions of this section occurs)--

(1) rates of basic pay for Members shall be restored to the highest rate that was at any time previously payable for the office involved; and

(2) pay adjustments scheduled to take effect on or after such first day under the provision of law referred to in subsection (a)(1) shall be effective.

(d) Determinations- Determinations of whether or not a deficit exists in any fiscal year shall, for purposes of this Act, be made by the Director of the Congressional Budget Office. In making any such determination, the Director shall exclude any budget outlays which (as determined by the Director) directly relate to a military conflict that lasts over 30 days or that is in direct response to a terrorist attack on the United States.

SEC. 4. EFFECTIVE DATE.

This Act shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act, except that no determination under section 3(d) shall be made with respect to any fiscal year before fiscal year 2008.

lx43
10-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Personally, I think this bill is a start, but doesn't go far enough. What I would do is have a constitutional admendment that order a balanced budget. And just in case they don't balance (like they ignore the constitution now) also have a prevision that doesn't allow for any member of Congress/President to run for re-election and fines them $1,000,000.00.

Why do I say prohibit them from running for re-election? Well, what does every member of Congress (with the except of RP) want above all else? They want power, deny them their power I think would force them to do whats right.

Imperial
10-24-2009, 11:56 PM
That bill is old. Virgil Goode isn't in office anymore- he lost his election against Tom Periello I think his name is, a Democrat.

Chester Copperpot
10-25-2009, 12:39 AM
this is the whole purpose of having gold and silver money.. it forces government to balance their budget.. this written into law will just get ignored like everything else under the "general welfare clause" or some other bullshit

Chester Copperpot
10-25-2009, 12:40 AM
That bill is old. Virgil Goode isn't in office anymore- he lost his election against Tom Periello I think his name is, a Democrat.

thats too bad. Virgil Goode was a good man.. he seemed to be against the globalists