PDA

View Full Version : Florida's Grayson Interprets The Constitution Uniquely

angelatc
10-22-2009, 03:44 PM
In liberal land, getting funding from the government is a constitutional right, and so ACORN is being unfairly punished by not getting funding.

YouTube - Grayson v. Broun on the Constitution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKz5ZHM8kFM)

Stary Hickory
10-22-2009, 03:48 PM
The more I hear from Mr. Grayson the less I like. The constitution absolutely does not give anyone the right to derive special benefits from the pockets of other people.

Austin
10-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Although I disagree with Grayson on many issues, I wish Paul had his.. erm.. testicular fortitude. ;)

Galileo Galilei
10-22-2009, 06:03 PM
In liberal land, getting funding from the government is a constitutional right, and so ACORN is being unfairly punished by not getting funding.

YouTube - Grayson v. Broun on the Constitution (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKz5ZHM8kFM)

Grayson is talking about bills of attainder. Defunding a program in general is not a bill of attainder. The bill to defund ACORN needs to be re-written so as to not be a bill of attainder.

Chester Copperpot
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM

I like that this happened.. I mean 2 congressman actually having a debate about the constitution.. Thats very good.. When's the last time that ever happened?

And I was a little disappointed that Broun deferred it as a judgement to the courts as all 3 branches are empowered to decide and act on whether laws are or are not constitutional..

I think this round goes to Grayson.. Broun better go brush up on his constitution. He said he would carry it with him at all times.. Broun did run on a "Ron Paul ticket" so he better get with the program

and because its good to know.. I checked Wikipedia for the definition of the bill of attainder.. very simple

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_attainder

klamath
10-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Grayson is a complete ass. This is not a bill of attainder. A bill of attainder would have been prosecuting those two people not just defunding the program. This is the kind of Sh*t that gets the constitution completely misinterputed and manipulated to fit anybodys notion. Had they been depriving the people of their personal property that would have been a bill of attainder. Their right to my tax dollars is not their constitutional right.
Grayson got the better of Broun by using slimmy lawyer tactics.

specsaregood
10-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Although I disagree with Grayson on many issues, I wish Paul had his.. erm.. testicular fortitude. ;)

On what issues has Grayson had the balls to stand up against his entire party and administration and said, "No, you are wrong"? Just wondering, maybe I missed it.

coyote_sprit
10-22-2009, 07:56 PM
I knew there was a reason I didn't trust that scum.

angelatc
10-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Grayson is talking about bills of attainder. Defunding a program in general is not a bill of attainder. The bill to defund ACORN needs to be re-written so as to not be a bill of attainder.

I believe the bill is written in general language, but the title refers to ACORN. ANd regardless, several of their members have been convicted of crimes related to their work, so there have been trials.

angelatc
10-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Grayson is a complete ass. This is not a bill of attainder. A bill of attainder would have been prosecuting those two people not just defunding the program. This is the kind of Sh*t that gets the constitution completely misinterputed and manipulated to fit anybodys notion. Had they been depriving the people of their personal property that would have been a bill of attainder. Their right to my tax dollars is not their constitution right.
Grayson got the better of Broun by using slimmy lawyer tactics.

That's the way I see it. So in this great country, land of the free, the police can take away my cash if they think I have too much of it, they can take all my property if they think I sold drugs to buy it, but ACORN is entitled to funding.

angelatc
10-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I like that this happened.. I mean 2 congressman actually having a debate about the constitution.. Thats very good.. When's the last time that ever happened?

And I was a little disappointed that Broun deferred it as a judgement to the courts as all 3 branches are empowered to decide and act on whether laws are or are not constitutional..

I think this round goes to Grayson.. Broun better go brush up on his constitution. He said he would carry it with him at all times.. Broun did run on a "Ron Paul ticket" so he better get with the program

and because its good to know.. I checked Wikipedia for the definition of the bill of attainder.. very simple

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_attainder

LOL! According to that link, it isn't a Bill Of Attainder unless it's a capital crime. :) The constitution even doesn't address "bills of pains and penalties".

klamath
10-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I would like someone to get in Grayson face and ask him where in the constitution does it give him the power to force me to buy a product such as health care.

klamath
10-22-2009, 08:09 PM
On what issues has Grayson had the balls to stand up against his entire party and administration and said, "No, you are wrong"? Just wondering, maybe I missed it.

Yes I would too.

RM918
10-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Exactly.

jmdrake
10-22-2009, 08:35 PM
I believe the bill is written in general language, but the title refers to ACORN. ANd regardless, several of their members have been convicted of crimes related to their work, so there have been trials.

It wouldn't matter if nobody had been convicted of a crime. A bill of attainder means that the government can't single someone out for criminal punishment. It does not mean that the government can't vote to end a contract or end funding. Using Grayson's "logic" no federal programs could ever be cut for any reason. Decide you want to close a military base? Somebody might see that as "punishment" and call that a "bill of attainder". Besides, Grayson introduced a bill to limit the amount of bonuses bankers get. Using his logic that's a "bill of attainder" also.