PDA

View Full Version : Bill Hunt defeated in first amendment lawsuit against corrupt ex sheriff Mike Carona

Jamsie 567
10-22-2009, 01:46 PM
If you don't know the story here is the run down. Bill Hunt exposed ex-sheriff Mike Carona in 2006 during the sheriff race a year before Carona was later convicted on felon charges. The day after the election after 22 years of service BIll Hunt was demoted to patrol and forced to retire. He filed a political retaliation lawsuit and said that he spoke out and his first amendment rights were protected.

Hope ensued once Carona was removed from office and the decision to appoint the next Sheriff which was handled by the Board of Supervisors. Out of their arrogance instead of appointing Hunt they appointed a Sheriff from LA with no experiance and overlooked Hunt again although he had only lost the election by 1% and had the endorsement of police fire and bail association.

Hunt is now in financial ruin and he probably paid over 100,000 dollars just to get his chance to take this to court. While a convicted felon has 3 paid public defenders. Hunt has 4 teenage kids and a wife and has my deepest sympathy in today's tragic defeat against our constitutional rights.

This man is a hero and it has now become a personal vendetta for me.

I will be mounting one of the most fierce grassroots campaigns for Bill Hunt to show these scoundrels to not mess with the constitution. I am announcing a live PODCAST FOR THIS NOVEMBER 5TH TODAY! A NATIONAL MONEY BOMB in HONOR OF BILL HUNT AND HIS FIGHT FOR FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

MONEY BOMB VIDEO NOW IN PRODUCTION!

Guest speakers will include:
Dana T. Parker - Living Historian James Madison
Sheriff Richard Mack
Sheriff Joe Arpaio
Lt Bill Hunt candidate for OC Sheriff
Special musical guest TBA

Help pledge your support www.thisnovember5th.com

Here is the story from todays trial... Help us defend liberty and join us!

Carona rival’s lawsuit thrown out
October 22nd, 2009, 10:33 am · 7 Comments · posted by Rachanee Srisavasdi

A lawsuit brought by former sheriff’s Lt. Bill Hunt against ex-sheriff Mike Carona — which went to trial last week in Los Angeles — was thrown out this morning by a federal judge who granted Carona’’s motion to dismiss the entire case.

U.S. District Judge Margaret Morrow ruled that in light of the jury’s findings on questions posed to them about Hunt’s role in the department, Hunt was deemed to be a department policymaker, according to the county’s lawyer, Norman Watkins.

“The jury’s findings were consistent with the evidence,” Watkins said. “I think the court made the right call.”

Hunt declined to comment.

The judge also decided that Carona is entitled to ‘qualified immunity,” which shields public officials from liability for the violation of an individual’s constitutional rights in some cases, Watkins said.

Hunt unsuccessfully ran against Carona for sheriff in 2006. After Carona won the election, he demoted Hunt — then a lieutenant who oversaw San Clemente police services — to a deputy position. Carona and the county reasoned Hunt’s criticisms of Carona’s administration during the campaign violated department policy.

Rather than take the demotion, Hunt resigned and sued, alleging his criticism of Carona was protected under the First Amendment. The county argued that Hunt’s criticism was not protected speech because Hunt, as a member of Carona’s executive team who was running for office, was subject to termination.

The jury –which began deliberating the case yesterday — was sent home, and judgment entered in favor of Carona.

www.BillHuntforSheriff.com

YouTube - 9/12 SJC Tea Party: Bill Hunt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6FZOoQHlmQ)