PDA

View Full Version : Obama's New Medical Marijuana Policy Is Not A Step Forward For Liberty

bobbyw24
10-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Obama's New Medical Marijuana Policy Is Not A Step Forward For Liberty

Yesterday's big headline was the Obama Administration's new policy (which was already announced months ago, if you'll remember) on medical marijuana:

"Federal drug agents won't pursue pot-smoking patients or their sanctioned suppliers in states that allow medical marijuana, under new legal guidelines to be issued Monday by the Obama administration."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_L5EFG-vZEHo/St4eJI-qhOI/AAAAAAAABi4/68N9WjUt5lU/s200/Obama+Marijuana.bmp

I want to advise my fellow libertarians not to get too excited about this development. I'm certainly not.

This is neither a step forward for advocates of marijuana legalization, nor "states' rights" proponents who want to see the Federal government staying on its side of the line drawn by the 10th amendment.

Michelle Malkin calls this out for exactly what it is:

The “clarifying” memo that will be sent out today, seven months after Holder first announced the “shift,” makes clear that the Obama administration will actually retain the same discretion the Bush administration exercises to prosecute someone whose activities are deemed legal in states that allow medical marijuana use.

In other words, they will continue Bush-era policies when they find it expedient to do so in the future — but they want praise and obeisance from the Left for paying lip service to Transformative Change now. It’s the Obama way!

Exactly! I could not have summarized it better myself. The American Spectator also does a roundup of all the gleeful opinions that see this move as an advance for federalism- and solidly refutes them.

It's interesting to see some hardened libertarians and pot-activists excited about this while two pretty conventionally conservative . . .

http://www.humblelibertarian.com/2009/10/obamas-new-marijuana-policy-is-not-step.html

Reason
10-22-2009, 09:35 AM
quoting Michelle Malkin is a war crime

JoshLowry
10-22-2009, 09:53 AM
quoting Michelle Malkin is a war crime

The neocons are the "good guys" now.

:(

Pennsylvania
10-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Indian giving is not looked well upon, even by the uncritical masses. This is a step forward for liberty. Public opinion is in favor of medical marijuana, and by doing this Obama is trying to boost his public image. We all know the guy doesn't really care about freedom, but the chances of him reneging on this particular issue are slim and none.

specsaregood
10-22-2009, 10:05 AM
./

dannno
10-22-2009, 10:30 AM
OK, as a medical marijuana patient I have to say that Michelle Malkin is full of it on this one.

Bush did NOT have the same policy, I will guarenmotherfuckingtee it. The DEA was going after perfectly legit dispensaries in my town when Bush was in office, in a town where the Sheriff REFUSES to cooperate with the DEA in medical marijuana busts!!

When it was clear Obama was going to become President, the DEA backed off and hasn't bothered us since.

Apparently they have made some busts in my state, but they DID say that the dispensaries were operating "illegaly", whatever that means... BUT the bottom line is that this new policy (at least in writing) is NOT the same policy Bush had!!!

dannno
10-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I posted a comment on the blog as this story is inaccurate.

andrewh817
10-23-2009, 09:22 PM
The government always does this, they say they're not going to enforce the law but the law won't change. So they always have the option to enforce it..... are you going to trust them.

torchbearer
10-23-2009, 09:31 PM
OK, as a medical marijuana patient I have to say that Michelle Malkin is full of it on this one.

Bush did NOT have the same policy, I will guarenmotherfuckingtee it. The DEA was going after perfectly legit dispensaries in my town when Bush was in office, in a town where the Sheriff REFUSES to cooperate with the DEA in medical marijuana busts!!

When it was clear Obama was going to become President, the DEA backed off and hasn't bothered us since.

Apparently they have made some busts in my state, but they DID say that the dispensaries were operating "illegaly", whatever that means... BUT the bottom line is that this new policy (at least in writing) is NOT the same policy Bush had!!!

have you contacted you local DEA office and let them know what you are doing?
let me know what they tell you.