PDA

View Full Version : Putting The GOP Fundraising Numbers In Context

Bradley in DC
10-01-2007, 03:52 PM
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2007/10/putting_the_gop_fundraising_nu.php

Putting The GOP Fundraising Numbers In Context
01 Oct 2007 04:31 pm
First, Mitt Romney is likely to wind up having raised the most money this quarter... somewhere north of $10M...maybe around $12M. Rudy Giuliani raised less than that. Fred Thompson raised more than $8. John McCain, north of $5.
Give Romney credit: he has an extremely distributed, many-branched fundraising network and a terrific team. He's had a good few months and his nomination strategy is proceeding on course. Rudy Giuliani had no real fundraising network to speak of; that he can still raise more nearly $10M in the third quarter of the year is testament to his status as the national frontrunner. Similarly, $8M for Thompson isn't that bad. Comparing his first quarter take to the millions more raised by Romney, McCain and Giuliani is not really fair: the conditions of the race have evolved in six months and the fundraising field is much less fertile. That $8M is $8M that no other candidate managed to accumulate.
Giuliani and Romney will have enough money to compete through Feb. 5. Thompson has enough to run fully-fledged campaigns in the early states. Romney can write himself a check whenever he wants. The rest of the field is on fumes, money-wise.
And Republicans are raising much less than the Democrats.

ItsTime
10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
from what I can tell Mormons are not behind Romney or he would have a hell of a lot more money. Have you heard anything like that?

paulitics
10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
from what I can tell Mormons are not behind Romney or he would have a hell of a lot more money. Have you heard anything like that?

I don't know, utah iss like 70% behind Romney. I think there are less Mormons than anti-mormon people in general.

katao
10-01-2007, 04:45 PM

Romney gets the default Mormon vote. He is Mormon, they are Mormon, so he can't be that bad they think. Plus he has the whole 2002 Olympics thing going for him.

That said, more diligent Mormons often end up being very discouraged when they find out his true record (which goes against most of their values).

Often though, disgruntled Mormon Mitt voters skip past RP because they are so concerned with being mainstream (leftover from such strong polygamy persecution). And many tend to buy into the Hannity/Beck war propaganda.

Yet I've found that if you remind them of why they voted for Ronald Reagan, and of their belief that the constitution was "Divinely Inspired", they start to come around. The absolute key for Mormon folks is for RP support to be mainstream. That is why NH and other early states are so critical. They will support RP if he is a winner, but only if they see him as a winner.