PDA

View Full Version : FCC Gearing Up For Assault On First Amendment

angelatc
10-20-2009, 03:55 PM
I really think we might want to unretire the Obama Watch forum. This is some insidious, scary stuff.

It's a long piece, so most of you won't bother wading all the way through it, but it accuses the Obama administration's FCC officials of collaborating with high ranking members of big UCC church, with the purpose of creating "astroturf" - they want to produce faux outrage, and more importantly, petition signatures, which would then be a basis for the FCC to open a federal probe into hate speech against illegal aliens.

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/10/20/fcc-church-conspiracy-to-silen/print

This excerpt is from the end of the article. The writer lays his case out with names, dates and documents at the link.

I think he has it backwards though. I suspect the FCC is actually orchestrating the effort.

There is an organized campaign now afoot, a carefully planned, well-funded systematic assault on talk radio and Fox News that involves at least seven major liberal American religious denominations. All of whom are apparently planning to spread the gospel that talk radio and Fox News personalities are spreading hate speech. This message will be spread to their parishioners' children, in adult education materials, in sermons and through lay leaders -- people like me.

And to back it up, they are trying to invoke the legal authority of the FCC. After having a cozy, private lunch with a sympathetic FCC Commissioner on September 30.

Which brings us last, but certainly not least to: The White House.

The Obama White House is now quite specifically using the presidential bully pulpit to de-legitimize Fox News.

Note how this works:

• White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel says: "…the way we, the President looks at it, we look at it is it's not a news organization" and that Fox is not "a legitimate news organization."

• White House senior adviser David Axelrod says Fox News is "not really a news station."

• White House Communications Director Anita Dunn says: "What I think is fair to say about Fox -- and certainly it's the way we view it -- is that it really is more a wing of the Republican Party," said Anita Dunn, White House communications director, on CNN. "They take their talking points, put them on the air; take their opposition research, put them on the air. And that's fine. But let's not pretend they're a news network the way CNN is."

Heck, if the White House decides that Fox isn't a news organization, they're no longer even specifically protected by the text of the First Amendment.

Naraku
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, this sucks. Hopefully the FCC will be all, "that's wrong, but it ain't illegal foo'" because it would be terrible for hate speech laws to be enacted here.

SimpleName
10-22-2009, 05:00 AM
...lets not forget net neutrality. SURPRISE! Nothing better than the government shoving their ugly, feces eating faces into the best modern invention of all time. GOD! I love the government! So much so that I'm contemplating replacing my "GOD"s with "GOV"s and all my Jesus references to "Barack" or the slang "Barr" (as in "Geez")

Naraku
10-22-2009, 11:43 AM
...lets not forget net neutrality. SURPRISE! Nothing better than the government shoving their ugly, feces eating faces into the best modern invention of all time. GOD! I love the government! So much so that I'm contemplating replacing my "GOD"s with "GOV"s and all my Jesus references to "Barack" or the slang "Barr" (as in "Geez")

So you'd rather have corporations deciding what sites people go to? Corporate dominance is not better than government dominance.