PDA

View Full Version : CIA To Monitor Internet Chatter For Anti-Government Sentiment

libertygrl
10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
In the 2005 movie V For Vendetta, a film about a totalitarian society ruled by a fascist government with an iron surveillance fist, there’s a scene where state spooks drive down a residential street with a gadget that records the conversations people are having inside their homes and gives them a rating on how antagonistic towards the authorities they are.

A frighteningly similar scenario is now on the horizon with the news that the CIA’s investment arm In-Q-Tel is putting cash into Visible Technologies, a company that monitors the output of social media, in order to “Read your blog posts, keep track of your Twitter updates — even check out your book reviews on Amazon,” reports Wired News.

Of course, the fact that the U.S. government and the military have been overloading the Internet with pro-war propaganda and trolls who are paid to cheerlead for the war on terror and attack critics is an admitted part of their cyberwarfare agenda, and Israel has done the same.

However, the prospect of the CIA closely monitoring social networking websites, whose content largely comprises of inane gossip and sophomoric blabber, shows just how afraid the establishment is of rising popular opposition to their agenda.

“Visible crawls over half a million web 2.0 sites a day, scraping more than a million posts and conversations taking place on blogs, online forums, Flickr, YouTube, Twitter and Amazon. Customers get customized, real-time feeds of what’s being said on these sites, based on a series of keywords,” according to Wired.

The software scores whether each post is positive, neutral or negative on a particular topic and can judge who the most influential poster is in a conversation, for example on a comment board or forum.

According to In-Q-Tel, it wants to use the technology to see how international issues are playing out in foreign media, but as the report notes, “Of course, such a tool can also be pointed inward, at domestic bloggers or tweeters. Visible already keeps tabs on web 2.0 sites for Dell, AT&T and Verizon. For Microsoft, the company is monitoring the buzz on its Windows 7 rollout. For Spam-maker Hormel, Visible is tracking animal-right activists’ online campaigns against the company.”

Steven Aftergood of the Federation of American Scientists warns that the software could be used to track and target critics of the government, as well as political figures and journalists.

“Intelligence agencies or employees might be tempted to use the tools at their disposal to compile information on political figures, critics, journalists or others, and to exploit such information for political advantage,” Aftergood told Wired.

Visible chief executive officer Dan Vetras said that the CIA was just one of several government clients that were using the technology and that more were on the horizon.

http://www.infowars.com/cia-to-monitor-internet-chatter-for-anti-government-sentiment/

pcosmar
10-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Hi guys, <wave> over here.
I really hate those SOBs.

Kiss my old pimply butt.

HOLLYWOOD
10-20-2009, 01:05 PM
"Monitor" has replaced "SPYING" in the CIA. It should be the DIA/DIS/NSA/FBI not the CIA

Nothing new here... these clowns have been doing this for a longtime.

Remember, the NSA has the worlds largest user of data mining, storage and archiving across primary and secondary sites arounds the world. Why do you think IBM is so profitable... they run a monopoly on data storage at black locations.

tangent4ronpaul
10-20-2009, 01:42 PM
"Monitor" has replaced "SPYING" in the CIA. It should be the DIA/DIS/NSA/FBI not the CIA

Nothing new here... these clowns have been doing this for a longtime.

Remember, the NSA has the worlds largest user of data mining, storage and archiving across primary and secondary sites arounds the world. Why do you think IBM is so profitable... they run a monopoly on data storage at black locations.

DIS is a bit low on the "food chain"....

I would also question your claim about IBM being "top dog"...

The year they won a gvmt contract, their machines became the fav "door stops" at Ft. Meade.... RS6000's - NOT!

Also - most of the atocracies of violations of personal info are done by private companies under contract. No FIOA possible and hidden under the "propriatary info" exclusion.... It's an old game...

-t

Oyate
10-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Oh crap, the stupid inept fools in government and the murderers in the CIA are gonna start watching me? Those corrupt morons and thieves are looking for anti-government sentiment? Man, it would be really bad if they identified me, my hair is a mess and I haven't done laundry in a month. I'm just not properly dressed to meet these jackal demons in human form.

LittleLightShining
10-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Oh crap, the stupid inept fools in government and the murderers in the CIA are gonna start watching me? Those corrupt morons and thieves are looking for anti-government sentiment? Man, it would be really bad if they identified me, my hair is a mess and I haven't done laundry in a month. I'm just not properly dressed to meet these jackal demons in human form.
My hair's a mess, too. Though I did get a bunch of laundry done yesterday.

Seriously, this is news? We all know they're watching.

tangent4ronpaul
10-20-2009, 01:56 PM

LOL!

but yeah - I need a hair cut too and the laundry pile has been ignored for a while - think I did a load about a week ago....

-t

constituent
10-20-2009, 03:01 PM
huh, kinda reminds me of this post from another, seemingly unrelated thread. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=2376204&postcount=72)

Naraku
10-20-2009, 04:51 PM
They are undoubtedly watching this forum already. Probably have a few accounts set up to serve as agent provocateurs. It is just their way. However, it does portray one disturbing element. The speed and comprehensive nature of the software would make their interventions far simpler.

Ninja Homer
10-20-2009, 05:00 PM
There isn't a need to watch this forum... anti-government sentiment should be a given. Ron Paul says end the CIA, and I'm sure they know by now that we all agree.

dr. hfn
10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
LOL @government spooks

tangent4ronpaul
10-20-2009, 05:08 PM
There isn't a need to watch this forum... anti-government sentiment should be a given. Ron Paul says end the CIA, and I'm sure they know by now that we all agree.

No - we do not all agree. There is a need to watch for another Perl Harbor. The torture, installung dictators, etc needs to go. But the basic mission - that needs to stay. The problem with abolishing the bad part is that it would just be transfered to another agency and still go on.

-t

Naraku
10-20-2009, 05:17 PM

I don't really agree on ending the CIA. We need an intelligence agency. However, there should be greater restraints put on what they do and how they do it.

Also, they would not simply be looking for anti-government sentiment, but the type of sentiment. As well they would look for those who show the ability to lead a group or organization in pushing such sentiment.

Not to mention, as I said, having agent provocateurs incite people to actions which discredit the movement.

Nirvikalpa
10-20-2009, 05:28 PM
*waves*

Oyate
10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
I don't really agree on ending the CIA. We need an intelligence agency.

I would have to agree. If only we had intelligent intel people. Established by the National Security Act of 1947, then-president Harry Truman felt he needed professional intel which wasn't effected by business interests or other selfish interests of politicians. The CIA was to report the unvarnished truth to the president.

Since then the CIA has split into two factions: the intel side and the covert black-ops side. Black ops is utterly unaccountable to government at this point, almost completely autonomous, posessing numerous front-businesses and investments so as to be self-funding. NOBODY in the civilian sector knows exactly what they are up to or where. They are directly responsible as purpetrators or assasinations, torture, muders of whole towns and communities all over the world. They have neither morals, ethics, principles or honor. They consort with and do deals with slave traders, murderers, drug dealers, despots and dictators. For they are one and the same kinds of people. Ugly, avaricious, greedy, corrupt and venal people. They trade in human misery. They are true scum of the Earth.

Recently the CIA was the painter of the vast portrait of lies that drew us into mid-Eastern wars and they continue their dirty work in Iran. We know this because of OUR intel people.

Incidentally, we in the movement have better, more accurate and more honest intel than anything these motivated murderers have. We are better and more accurately informed than any recent POTUS or CONgress.

Crowish
10-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Some people have thought Google is CIA, because of their ties to In Q Tel, the hiring of Rob Painter etc

Reason
10-20-2009, 06:09 PM
No - we do not all agree. There is a need to watch for another Perl Harbor. The torture, installung dictators, etc needs to go. But the basic mission - that needs to stay. The problem with abolishing the bad part is that it would just be transfered to another agency and still go on.

-t

you might want to do some research on how the US govt let the attack on pearl harbor happen on purpose.

Dionysus
10-20-2009, 06:15 PM
The government ate my baby.
I mean a dingo ate my baby.

jkr
10-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Really?

Fuck the goverment!:mad:

They can burn in hell like the demons they are:eek:

dannno
10-20-2009, 06:36 PM
http://i31.tinypic.com/3097mts.jpg

TCE
10-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Last I heard, Dr. Paul wanted to end the FBI, not the CIA.

Matt Collins
10-20-2009, 06:41 PM
CIA Invests in Firm that Monitors Twitter:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=215556

tangent4ronpaul
10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Since then the CIA has split into two factions: the intel side and the covert black-ops side. Black ops is utterly unaccountable to government at this point, almost completely autonomous, posessing numerous front-businesses and investments so as to be self-funding. NOBODY in the civilian sector knows exactly what they are up to or where. They are directly responsible as purpetrators or assasinations, torture, muders of whole towns and communities all over the world. They have neither morals, ethics, principles or honor. They consort with and do deals with slave traders, murderers, drug dealers, despots and dictators. For they are one and the same kinds of people. Ugly, avaricious, greedy, corrupt and venal people. They trade in human misery. They are true scum of the Earth..

You have to rub sholders with some very unsavry people if you want that early warning....

Incidentally, we in the movement have better, more accurate and more honest intel than anything these motivated murderers have. We are better and more accurately informed than any recent POTUS or CONgress.

BULLSHIT!

-t

dannno
10-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Last I heard, Dr. Paul wanted to end the FBI, not the CIA.

Uhh, no, he wants to end the CIA too.

That doesn't mean he doesn't want any type of organization that might gather intelligence to protect our country.. but he would probably make it much smaller and more transparent.

tangent4ronpaul
10-20-2009, 06:45 PM
you might want to do some research on how the US govt let the attack on pearl harbor happen on purpose.

I'm familiar with that theory. It's not proven.

Dropping the A-Bombs on Japan post surrender is proven.

-t

TCE
10-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Uhh, no, he wants to end the CIA too.

That doesn't mean he doesn't want any type of organization that might gather intelligence to protect our country.. but he would probably make it much smaller and more transparent.

Makes sense. I keep hearing him say he wants to end the FBI, so I guess the CIA plays second fiddle to the former goal.

Oyate
10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Uhh, no

(off topic reply)

Oh yeah baby!
http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/514.html

Reason
10-20-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm familiar with that theory. It's not proven.

Dropping the A-Bombs on Japan post surrender is proven.

-t

of course it's not proven...

tremendoustie
10-20-2009, 08:13 PM
In the 2005 movie V For Vendetta, a film about a totalitarian society ruled by a fascist government with an iron surveillance fist, there’s a scene where state spooks drive down a residential street with a gadget that records the conversations people are having inside their homes and gives them a rating on how antagonistic towards the authorities they are.

A frighteningly similar scenario is now on the horizon with the news that the CIA’s investment arm In-Q-Tel is putting cash into Visible Technologies, a company that monitors the output of social media, in order to “Read your blog posts, keep track of your Twitter updates — even check out your book reviews on Amazon,” reports Wired News.

Of course, the fact that the U.S. government and the military have been overloading the Internet with pro-war propaganda and trolls who are paid to cheerlead for the war on terror and attack critics is an admitted part of their cyberwarfare agenda, and Israel has done the same.

However, the prospect of the CIA closely monitoring social networking websites, whose content largely comprises of inane gossip and sophomoric blabber, shows just how afraid the establishment is of rising popular opposition to their agenda.

“Visible crawls over half a million web 2.0 sites a day, scraping more than a million posts and conversations taking place on blogs, online forums, Flickr, YouTube, Twitter and Amazon. Customers get customized, real-time feeds of what’s being said on these sites, based on a series of keywords,” according to Wired.

The software scores whether each post is positive, neutral or negative on a particular topic and can judge who the most influential poster is in a conversation, for example on a comment board or forum.

According to In-Q-Tel, it wants to use the technology to see how international issues are playing out in foreign media, but as the report notes, “Of course, such a tool can also be pointed inward, at domestic bloggers or tweeters. Visible already keeps tabs on web 2.0 sites for Dell, AT&T and Verizon. For Microsoft, the company is monitoring the buzz on its Windows 7 rollout. For Spam-maker Hormel, Visible is tracking animal-right activists’ online campaigns against the company.”

Steven Aftergood of the Federation of American Scientists warns that the software could be used to track and target critics of the government, as well as political figures and journalists.

“Intelligence agencies or employees might be tempted to use the tools at their disposal to compile information on political figures, critics, journalists or others, and to exploit such information for political advantage,” Aftergood told Wired.

Visible chief executive officer Dan Vetras said that the CIA was just one of several government clients that were using the technology and that more were on the horizon.

http://www.infowars.com/cia-to-monitor-internet-chatter-for-anti-government-sentiment/

Dear government snoops: You're a bunch of tyrants and crooks who violate essential liberties daily. I want you the hell out of my life, and this country would be a hell of a lot better with you where you belong: in jail or flipping burgers.

PM me if that's not clear enough for you to process with your pathetic publicly funded excuse for an education, and you'd like me to draw you a picture. :cool:

Athan
10-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Why worry, they are sending themselves to inflationary hell anyway.

pcosmar
10-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Why worry, they are sending themselves to inflationary hell anyway.

Do you think they will go away just because the UN takes over management?

Meet the new boss
same as the old boss
:(