PDA

View Full Version : Kokesh Reveals "Real Money" Bomb

ronpaulhawaii
10-19-2009, 06:16 PM
On the Twown Hall Adam just responded to a question regarding accepting Gold and Silver donations by letting the cat out of the bag :eek:

On Veterens Day, Nov 11th until Adam's Birthday, Feb 1, we will be asking people to send in Silver and Gold donations. Already cleared with lawyers, details to be announced soon.

parked url is www.realmoneybomb.com

The pictures/media will be worth their weight in... platinum :D

Kevin_Kennedy
10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Niiiice. :cool:

ronpaulhawaii
10-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Metals collected will be saved for when media buys come into play...

CasualApathy
10-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Cool idéa.

Really cool.

cnaw
10-19-2009, 10:23 PM
So i guess i need to go gold mining then... :-)

ronpaulhawaii
10-20-2009, 09:56 AM
bump

dr. hfn
10-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Lets find some gold!

ronpaulhawaii
10-20-2009, 10:51 AM
plenty at places like this...

http://www.apmex.com/

:D

nayjevin
10-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Will the campaign be accepting garden seeds?

ronpaulhawaii
10-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Will the campaign be accepting garden seeds?

Campaign? No. Staff? Yes

specsaregood
10-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Already cleared with lawyers, details to be announced soon.

Since you evidently discussed this with the lawyers. How will donations be reported? If one sends in 1ozGAE or 1ozSAE (us tender $50 and $1) will a GAE be reported as a $50 donation? and SAE be reported as a $1 donation? Or will the market value be reported?

KCIndy
10-20-2009, 12:15 PM
plenty at places like this...

http://www.apmex.com/

Apmex.com is my favorite silver seller! :D

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/30111_obv.jpg

I'll send in what I can!

Anything specific you're looking for? For flashiness and show, nothing beats the beauty of an American Silver Eagle. That being said, I know a lot of people have simply held or purchased pre-1965 coins for silver investments. Not as impressive, perhaps, but it should count, shouldn't it?

Of course, if you want to go for the uber-impressive, the ten ounce silver rounds would look great in Adam's hand in a press conference:

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/31496_slab.jpg

And then there's the penultimate - the 400 ounce gold bar:

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/55106_Obv.jpg

But... uh... I'm afraid that's a little out of my price range!! :o:o:o

400 ounces X $1,058/oz = $423,200 - PLUS the cost of the commission! :eek:

ronpaulhawaii
10-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Since you evidently discussed this with the lawyers. How will donations be reported? If one sends in 1ozGAE or 1ozSAE (us tender $50 and $1) will a GAE be reported as a $50 donation? and SAE be reported as a $1 donation? Or will the market value be reported?

as in-kind donations for market value...

Apmex.com is my favorite silver seller! :D

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/30111_obv.jpg

I'll send in what I can!

Anything specific you're looking for? For flashiness and show, nothing beats the beauty of an American Silver Eagle. That being said, I know a lot of people have simply held or purchased pre-1965 coins for silver investments. Not as impressive, perhaps, but it should count, shouldn't it?

Of course, if you want to go for the uber-impressive, the ten ounce silver rounds would look great in Adam's hand in a press conference:

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/31496_slab.jpg

And then there's the penultimate - the 400 ounce gold bar:

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catalog%20Images/Products/55106_Obv.jpg

But... uh... I'm afraid that's a little out of my price range!! :o:o:o

400 ounces X $1,058/oz = $423,200 - PLUS the cost of the commission! :eek:

Thanks KCIndy

dr. hfn
10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
awesome idea! The Kokesh campaign is sooooo creative!

ForLiberty-RonPaul
10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
bump!

torchbearer
10-20-2009, 04:40 PM
How about scrap metals- aluminum- tin- brass- copper
Adam can open up a scrap yard. :)

ronpaulhawaii
10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
awesome idea! The Kokesh campaign is sooooo creative!

Me-thinks y'all will like other things we have up our sleeves, as well :D

How about scrap metals- aluminum- tin- brass- copper
Adam can open up a scrap yard. :)

:eek: lulz :D

KCIndy
10-20-2009, 07:34 PM
I got carried away in my last post with all the photos... :o

But seriously, is the campaign going to prefer one type of form over another? Are we talking actual coinage like silver quarters, halves and dollars, or will bullion forms such as bars and rounds be acceptable, or even preferred?

Just curious!

ronpaulhawaii
10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
I got carried away in my last post with all the photos... :o

But seriously, is the campaign going to prefer one type of form over another? Are we talking actual coinage like silver quarters, halves and dollars, or will bullion forms such as bars and rounds be acceptable, or even preferred?

Just curious!

Well, platinum bars are preferred :D but seriously, every and any PM (torch;) ) donation is appreciated and will be put to good use.

What we will be suggesting for those who are not metal savvy is to use a site like apmex and use our HQ address as the delivery address.

An added benefit will be that our supporters who are not metal savvy may start becoming so...

Could use some help with graphics/videos/etc in the coming weeks...

Do something you can tell your grandkids about - Be a part of it :)

smithtg
10-20-2009, 09:21 PM
does anyone thinks he would take junk silver? Id buy a bay on ebay and have it shipped to him...

specsaregood
10-20-2009, 09:22 PM
What we will be suggesting for those who are not metal savvy is to use a site like apmex and use our HQ address as the delivery address.

That might not work. Their fraud filters are pretty strict and might not let credit card orders go through with a different delivery address. Have you by chance talked to Scott at apmex (the CEO)? He is quite personable and might be able to work something out with the campaign to make such orders go through.

ronpaulhawaii
10-20-2009, 09:27 PM
That might not work. Their fraud filters are pretty strict and might not let credit card orders go through with a different delivery address. Have you by chance talked to Scott at apmex (the CEO)? He is quite personable and might be able to work something out with the campaign to make such orders go through.

Not yet, thanks for the name and heads up. Do you have a relationship with him? and do you want to help on that side?

specsaregood
10-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Not yet, thanks for the name and heads up. Do you have a relationship with him? and do you want to help on that side?

No, I don't have a "relationship" with him, have just exchanged messages with him a few times on GIM. I will send him a note and see if what you suggested will be a problem and if he has any other thoughts.

ronpaulhawaii
10-20-2009, 10:26 PM
No, I don't have a "relationship" with him, have just exchanged messages with him a few times on GIM. I will send him a note and see if what you suggested will be a problem and if he has any other thoughts.

:cool:

There ain't nothing like the RP grassroots :)

Thanks

KCIndy
10-20-2009, 11:00 PM
It would definitely be worth checking about the credit card thing. Apmex's standing policy is that credit card orders only ship to the credit card billing address. Also, a credit card order is subject to a surcharge - $10 I believe - but perhaps they would be willing to make special arrangements for this event, given how many new customers it might bring in for them.

Worst case, people can send check or money order (or bank wire, but that's such a pain in the *ss!) and the order will be processed and shipped anywhere with just a few days' extra delay and no surcharge.

The FAQ at Apmex is a pretty quick and easy read, and might answer a lot of questions in advance: http://www.apmex.com/FAQ/Default.aspx

ronpaulhawaii
10-20-2009, 11:23 PM
It would definitely be worth checking about the credit card thing. Apmex's standing policy is that credit card orders only ship to the credit card billing address. Also, a credit card order is subject to a surcharge - $10 I believe - but perhaps they would be willing to make special arrangements for this event, given how many new customers it might bring in for them.

Worst case, people can send check or money order (or bank wire, but that's such a pain in the *ss!) and the order will be processed and shipped anywhere with just a few days' extra delay and no surcharge.

The FAQ at Apmex is a pretty quick and easy read, and might answer a lot of questions in advance: http://www.apmex.com/FAQ/Default.aspx

Thanks :) I'm glad Adam let the cat out of the bag... Help is always appreciated.

I can see anyone who wants to use apmex, and donate a round or two, being able to get a minimum order for both themselves, and the campaign...

nayjevin
10-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Question: will the real money then be spent? I have a tough time believing anyone should spend gold and silver right now, or anytime in the near future.

I would like to see a pledge from Adam that the real money donations will be spent only to purchase advertising space on fellow liberty websites or the like, so that the 'real money' stays within 'our loop'.

specsaregood
10-21-2009, 08:09 AM
I would like to see a pledge from Adam that the real money donations will be spent only to purchase advertising space on fellow liberty websites or the like, so that the 'real money' stays within 'our loop'.

Something tells me that advertising space on "liberty websites or the like" won't serve to get him many votes in his district. No, let's have them spend it where they think it is best spent.

brandon
10-21-2009, 08:17 AM

This doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

Obviously you guys are going to want to spend all the money in the next year or so. That means you are going to need to sell all the PM you receive. Assuming the price stays constant, you are already in a losing deal because the buyer pays over spot and an individual seller can almost never sell at or above spot price. Next, you need to consider all the time and management that will be consumed by selling all of the PM for cash. What if you can't find a buyer? And finally, gold and silver prices are volatile, and could easily drop 10%-20% from the time the donor buys them and the time you sell them.

I guess on the positive side this gimmick might get a couple extra people to donate, but overall I think it's a losing idea.

Sorry to be negative.

specsaregood
10-21-2009, 09:11 AM

For a pure fundraising tactic, maybe not. But for a publicity and educational tactic I think it is a winner.

Assuming the price stays constant, you are already in a losing deal because the buyer pays over spot

You weren't buying when silver was at $9-10 less than a year ago? What you say would be true for new buyers, though.

and an individual seller can almost never sell at or above spot price.

Yes they will need a relationship with a PM dealer that will give them a fair deal when they need to sell.

Next, you need to consider all the time and management that will be consumed by selling all of the PM for cash.

It really doesn't take that long if doing it bulk.

What if you can't find a buyer?

PMs are always bought/sold, no matter the market. Most dealers don't care about the current spot price because they make their money off the transaction fees and hedge their buys/sales.

And finally, gold and silver prices are volatile, and could easily drop 10%-20% from the time the donor buys them and the time you sell them.

They could just as easily go up, no? And the market doesn't look like it as a top to me, and the rumors are out there that china has effectively put a bottom on it.

I guess on the positive side this gimmick might get a couple extra people to donate, but overall I think it's a losing idea.

I think it could get people to donate; but I think more likely is that it could be used to generate more publicity and awareness. I would assume that is the real goal of this gimmick.

KCIndy
10-21-2009, 09:43 AM

Obviously you guys are going to want to spend all the money in the next year or so. That means you are going to need to sell all the PM you receive. Assuming the price stays constant, you are already in a losing deal because the buyer pays over spot and an individual seller can almost never sell at or above spot price. Next, you need to consider all the time and management that will be consumed by selling all of the PM for cash. What if you can't find a buyer? And finally, gold and silver prices are volatile, and could easily drop 10%-20% from the time the donor buys them and the time you sell them.

Sorry to be negative.

No offense, but I have to (respectfully!) disagree. While I see your point about the potential loss due to fluctuation, I think the potential for the small loss of capital will be greatly exceeded by the publicity.

This sort of stunt is a photographer's dream! It will make for some great visuals, both for campaign literature as well as any media interviews. And great visuals mean the story is more likely to be run, or more likely to be a bigger story with photos.

Of course, it will also give Adam a great chance to springboard any interviews and conversations over to the devaluation of the dollar, the Federal reserve, our crummy Fiat currency system, etc....

The ultimate advantage is going to be the publicity and visuals. Let's face it - campaigns are all about face time, media attention, interviews and publicity. I know that's not what it should be about. But the sad fact is, a candidate can have the greatest ideas in the world and still get hammered in the polling booth if he/she is unknown to the general public. And this is exactly the sort of thing that grabs attention and makes for great "evening news" interviews.

Last, I'm guessing that a lot of people won't have to make a special buy to contribute. There are a lot of people here on these boards, at the very least, who already have silver/gold on hand. It's not going to kill anyone to send in a few rounds, coins or bars from their "stash" especially when they're likely to order again soon anyway. And the cost fluctuation works both ways - I have some silver rounds I bought back when silver was going for around $11/ounce, so if I send those in and they're converted at, say, $16.50/ounce then in a way it's actually costing me LESS to donate! :D

For those who want to make a small purchase to send in, perhaps some sort of group buy can be arranged, although the details would probably have to be worked out with some sort of legal overview to make sure everything's legit.

Overall, I think it's a great idea!

brandon
10-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Good points KC.

ronpaulhawaii
10-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Question: will the real money then be spent? I have a tough time believing anyone should spend gold and silver right now, or anytime in the near future.

It will be spent next spring/summer when media buys come into play. Mostly local

Good points KC.

:) - raising potential downsides are usually helpful. Thanks. I see specs and KC have addressed the countering upsides and we are all getting a better picture of the event. Most traditional fundraising efforts have a "cost." As with all the money-bombs, the earned media is invaluable...

Thanks guys,

onward and forward

specsaregood
10-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys,
onward and forward

The thing that will make this tougher to run as a "moneybomb" is that people will have to ship the donations to you, which will make it tougher to organize it so that they all come in about the same time.

If people order via a PM dealer there is usually a 2 week wait before shipping for purchases made by check and 3-5 days for CC orders. So time to mail in check + 2 week holding period, THEN shipment.

Either way, letus know when it is official so we can spread the word.

ronpaulhawaii
10-21-2009, 11:15 AM
The thing that will make this tougher to run as a "moneybomb" is that people will have to ship the donations to you, which will make it tougher to organize it so that they all come in about the same time.

If people order via a PM dealer there is usually a 2 week wait before shipping for purchases made by check and 3-5 days for CC orders. So time to mail in check + 2 week holding period, THEN shipment.

Either way, letus know when it is official so we can spread the word.

This is a new concept, the primary object of the original MBs was earned media, this will get that in a different way. We will be accepting the metals over months, keeping a running total on the website, and the photos/media will be "the bomb" :D

The event starts on Veterans Day, Nov 11th, and will close on Adams B'day, Feb 1.

ronpaulhawaii
10-21-2009, 10:31 PM
The locals at the volunteer meeting tonight are excited about this, started pulling rounds out of their pockets right away - haha

KCIndy
10-22-2009, 04:34 PM
The locals at the volunteer meeting tonight are excited about this, started pulling rounds out of their pockets right away - haha

HA!
You can tell a Ron Paul fan by the silver rounds in his pocket!! :D

ClayTrainor
10-22-2009, 05:26 PM
This is a great concept to attract some attention :)

ronpaulhawaii
10-23-2009, 09:25 AM
does anyone thinks he would take junk silver? Id buy a bay on ebay and have it shipped to him...

All donations are very much appreciated :D - and the bigger the pile, the better the visuals. Pure metal will probably be easier to cash in though...

This is a great concept to attract some attention :)

:)

WorldonaString
10-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I am very impressed with the creativity of the Kokesh campaign. Twon Halls, Real Money Bombs, Tea with the candidate, its all great!! In this respect, Kokesh's run is already reminding me more of the creative spark of Ron Paul's 08 run than either Rand or Schiff's thus far. Let's hope they all catch this spark. I love the grassroots!

ronpaulhawaii
10-27-2009, 09:10 PM
... I love the grassroots!

:)

KCIndy
11-05-2009, 08:48 PM

Just curious - has anyone with the Kokesh campaign been in touch with APMEX or any other PM seller? Any word on whether purchases could be made and shipped directly to Kokesh headquarters?

Gold is going through the roof right now,:eek: and silver ain't as cheap as it used to be, so I'm guessing for those who want to buy rather than donate from a "stash" it's best done sooner than later.

ronpaulhawaii
11-05-2009, 09:24 PM
You guys rock :)

Just curious - has anyone with the Kokesh campaign been in touch with APMEX or any other PM seller? Any word on whether purchases could be made and shipped directly to Kokesh headquarters?

Gold is going through the roof right now,:eek: and silver ain't as cheap as it used to be, so I'm guessing for those who want to buy rather than donate from a "stash" it's best done sooner than later.

Speaking for myself, I encourage everyone to buy gold/silver periodically (and perhaps, at this time, a bit more heavily...) And adding a bit to an order to send to Kokesh will be much appreciated. For those that have never bought any PM's, now is a great time to start ;) Buy some coins, and put aside a few for us hard working New Mexicans :D

Online orders being worked out. The easiest solution was cleared with lawyers today.

Thanks for asking :)

$1400 left to break 10k - Kinda like Kokesh2010 - K10)

Who haven't you asked?

https://kokesh.netboots.net/contribute

:eek:

KCIndy
11-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Online orders being worked out. The easiest solution was cleared with lawyers today.

And the easiest solution was.... ?

The suspense is killing me!! :D

specsaregood
11-10-2009, 03:21 PM

APMEX can't do that for orders paid by credit card. This is a restriction out of their hands set by the credit card companies.
I'm pretty sure this is the same for other online PM merchants.

But they can do that for orders paid for by: check, money order or bank wire.

Cheers!

ronpaulhawaii
11-10-2009, 03:25 PM
And the easiest solution was.... ?

The suspense is killing me!! :D

There are a few ways to donate. The best way is to buy some for yourself and send us a bit ;) Alternatively, people can send checks, money orders, or wire transfer to APMEX and use our address as the delivery address. There is an easier way, but for now I'm pushing raffle tickets :D

Click the pic in my sig, donate $20.10 and get a chance to win :cool:

Allan Bartlett
11-10-2009, 08:19 PM
The "legal tender" amount on a one ounce Gold US Eagle Coin is $50. So using the governments number, can someone send 48($2400 legal tender value) of these coins to Adam if they had the money? We live by the rules and die by by rules :)

ronpaulhawaii
11-11-2009, 10:15 AM
The "legal tender" amount on a one ounce Gold US Eagle Coin is $50. So using the governments number, can someone send 48($2400 legal tender value) of these coins to Adam if they had the money? We live by the rules and die by by rules :)

Details and video contest to be announced later today :D

ronpaulhawaii
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Facebook group created today for event

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=207545202641&ref=mf