PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Talks Coal, Energy and the Environment (Wendy Macy)

Jeremy
10-18-2009, 07:47 PM
YouTube - Rand Paul Talks Coal, Energy and the Environment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y8raYYs8h0)

amisspelledword
10-19-2009, 08:43 AM
The Knott County Sportsplex! it takes up like a 10th of the mountain top or so, though haha

the property rights talk is really good

i heard someone else say that Mttop Removal was good 'cause it created flat land and that there was nowhere else to build stuff. that's nonsense. i find it a little bit offensive. i mean, clearly there is no room for an airport, but come on.

vrichins
10-19-2009, 09:30 AM
i find it a little bit offensive. i mean, clearly there is no room for an airport, but come on.

I'm interested in your perspective. Do you think Rand should change his position on this?

Dreamofunity
10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Was Rand's portion taken directly from questioning or was that a speech they split up and edited to make fit? Either way it was nice editing and a nice video.

Jeremy
10-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Was Rand's portion taken directly from questioning or was that a speech they split up and edited to make fit? Either way it was nice editing and a nice video.

looks like questioning to me

vrichins
10-19-2009, 10:37 AM

Thanks. Rand's portion was from an impromptu interview in a parking lot.
http://wendymacy.com/2009/10/19/photos-from-hazard/

SelfTaught
10-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Hell yeah! Coal all the way.

Sorry to get off topic. Wasn't there a thread about hot nerdy girls? Did anyone mention Wendy Macy?

Danke
10-19-2009, 11:27 AM
One man's mountain (Kentuckian) is another man's hill (Coloradoan).

Jordan
10-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Dead sexy, and Wendy isn't bad either ;)

Matt Collins
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Dead sexyWhat are you talking about? I wasn't in the video! ;):p

amisspelledword
10-19-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm interested in your perspective. Do you think Rand should change his position on this?

no, and im not even sure its Rand's position.

all im saying is, its not entirely accurate to say that mountaintop removal is good because it creates flat land whereas there wouldnt be land to build on otherwise. mountaintop removal is good (or bad) for other reasons. there is plenty of space to build stuff in east ky without destroying a mountain. Rand didnt say it, but to say that there wouldnt be any place to build stuff without mountaintop removal is uninformed. come to think of it, i can even think of one (very small) airport that was built without the help of a mountaintop removal project.

Rand could get through to me more by talking about protecting the property rights of individuals (i suspect other suspicious, prideful eastern kentuckians could relate) and comparing that to the rights of the coal companies to do what they want with their land as long as it doesnt damage the property of others.

hes sort of said both of these things, and i might be putting words into his mouth, but the latter sounds way better than the former.

Ian A.
10-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Yes, he needs to stress the property rights aspect because back in my global warming days that point was the only thing making me hang on to Ron Paul's environmental policies.

These videos need to get more hits. They're great!! BTW Rand seems to like the word "fabulous."

vrichins
10-20-2009, 08:09 AM
its not entirely accurate to say that mountaintop removal is good because it creates flat land whereas there wouldnt be land to build on otherwise. mountaintop removal is good (or bad) for other reasons. there is plenty of space to build stuff in east ky without destroying a mountain. Rand didnt say it, but to say that there wouldnt be any place to build stuff without mountaintop removal is uninformed. come to think of it, i can even think of one (very small) airport that was built without the help of a mountaintop removal project.

Rand could get through to me more by talking about protecting the property rights of individuals (i suspect other suspicious, prideful eastern kentuckians could relate) and comparing that to the rights of the coal companies to do what they want with their land as long as it doesnt damage the property of others.

hes sort of said both of these things, and i might be putting words into his mouth, but the latter sounds way better than the former.
I wasn't familiar with this issue prior to making this video. I have to agree with you that lack of flat land isn't a great justification for mountaintop removal. Rand will have to make sure to keep property rights at the center of his argument.

By the way, I think I spotted you in Hebron at the town hall meeting.

amisspelledword
10-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I wasn't familiar with this issue prior to making this video. I have to agree with you that lack of flat land isn't a great justification for mountaintop removal. Rand will have to make sure to keep property rights at the center of his argument.

By the way, I think I spotted you in Hebron at the town hall meeting.

i was there. who are you?

vrichins
10-20-2009, 03:13 PM
i was there. who are you? I'm David. I was there videotaping.