PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Women and H1N1 vax

pinkmandy
10-18-2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/2009/09/four-swine-flu-vaccines-approved-by-fda.asp

What about pregnant and/or nursing mothers?

This is a little scary. The flu shots are ALREADY recommended for pregnant and nursing moms, BUT (and this is a really huge but) the vaccine product inserts make it very clear that the regular flu vaccines have never been tested on pregnant or nursing women to determine if there is any harm to fetuses or young babies (with one exception – the ****Flumist nasal spray brand did have some testing in this area, BUT not enough, as is stated in the product insert).

Despite this complete lack of research, it is recommended for these moms anyway. Anyone see a problem with that?

If you do get a flu shot, at least make sure it is mercury free (or at least only TRACE mercury).

The shots have NEVER BEEN TESTED ON PREGNANT WOMEN. And our government is tripping over itself recommending it for pregnant women.

From the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/vaccination/pregnant_qa.htm):

General Public
Why does CDC advise pregnant women to receive the 2009 H1N1 influenza (flu) vaccine (shot)?

Getting the flu shot is the single best way to protect against the flu. It is important for a pregnant woman to receive both the 2009 H1N1 flu shot and the seasonal flu shot. A pregnant woman who gets any type of flu has a greater chance for serious health problems. Compared with people in general who get 2009 H1N1 flu (formerly called “swine flu”), pregnant women with 2009 H1N1 flu are more likely to be admitted to hospitals. Pregnant women are also more likely to have serious illness and death from 2009 H1N1 flu.

When a pregnant woman gets a flu shot, it can protect both her and her baby. Research has found that pregnant women who had a flu shot get sick less often with the flu than do pregnant women who did not get a flu shot. Babies born to mothers who had a flu shot in pregnancy also get sick with flu less often than do babies whose mothers did not get a flu shot.

Does the 2009 H1N1 flu shot have mercury in it?

There is no evidence that thimerosal (a mercury preservative in vaccine that comes in multi-dose vials) is harmful to a pregnant woman or a fetus. However, because some women are concerned about thimerosal during pregnancy, vaccine companies are making preservative-free seasonal flu vaccine and 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine in single dose syringes for pregnant women and small children. CDC advises pregnant women to get flu shots either with or without thimerosal.

What studies have been done on the 2009 H1N1 flu shots and have any been done in pregnant women?

Studies to test the 2009 H1N1 flu shots in healthy children and adults and pregnant women are being done now. These studies are being conducted by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). More information can be found at http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/news/QA/vteuH1N1qa.htm.

Just some things to chew on, especially if you're pregnant. My sil had got a flu shot while pregnant a few years ago. Some horrible things happened which *could* be coincidence but the pregnancy was normal up until that shot at 6 months and right after movement slowed down and the baby was barely moving at all within 2 weeks. Her doctors refused to consider a flu vax reaction (though they have no idea what happened and still don't) thus it was never reported as such. I doubt she's the only one.

Working Poor
10-18-2009, 11:49 AM
did your sil's child live? A lot of people have reactions to vaccine that are less than good. My family is very sensitive to them. I won't take it.

pinkmandy
10-18-2009, 12:04 PM
did your sil's child live? A lot of people have reactions to vaccine that are less than good. My family is very sensitive to them. I won't take it.

Yes. She's 3.5 years old. She has had and will continue having a lot of problems. But, she is alive so that alone is a miracle considering she wasn't expected to live til the birth and if she did they didn't expect her to be strong enough to survive it.