PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad we raised $1,000,000; but don't box office flops make that in just 2 days?

TechnoGuyRob
10-01-2007, 12:33 PM
And movies usually cost <$10.

Why do box office flops make millions (although not many), whereas candidates like Ron Paul (and even Hillary and Obama) can't even get nearly close to the cinema--and movies come out all the time, whereas there's only a couple candidates over the span of almost two years.

Does America really care that much more about movies than its well-being?

EDIT: http://imdb.com/chart/

Some movie called "Across the Universe," which I've never even heard of, made $2M even a WEEK after its release.

RJB
10-01-2007, 12:35 PM
That is scarey...:eek:

JosephTheLibertarian
10-01-2007, 12:35 PM

Why do box office flops make millions (although not many), whereas candidates like Ron Paul (and even Hillary and Obama) can't even get nearly close to the cinema--and movies come out all the time, whereas there's only a couple candidates over the span of almost two years.

uhh... because they open up all around the country, in one day? politics is not a movie.... people are just giving their money, it's almost a selfless act

TechnoGuyRob
10-01-2007, 12:36 PM
uhh... because they open up all around the country, in one day? politics is not a movie.... people are just giving their money, it's almost a selfless act

So? Last I heard, political candidates need to have a presence all around the country, as well. ;-)

EvilEngineer
10-01-2007, 12:38 PM
So you're saying we need to release a "Ron Paul, Hope for America" movie?
Thats one avenue I don't think they have tried in politics before.

I'd pay to see it.

goRPaul
10-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Movies have a lot of advertising and a lot of celebrities. They're also an escape from the reality of how badlly our country is being run.

But that does make me think.... how much would it take to buy a Ron Paul commercial in the movie theatres nationwide? (the answer: a lot.)

BuddyRey
10-01-2007, 12:41 PM
The sad fact is that 70% of Americans don't even know there's an electon coming up, let alone care enough to learn about the candidates.

We have let the MSM turn us into a nation of mindless, uninformed sheep for the slaughter.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-01-2007, 12:42 PM
that's good... 70% for us to pick up

dude58677
10-01-2007, 12:44 PM
There are many laws on how money can be raised and how much. This isn't the case with box office movies.

TechnoGuyRob
10-01-2007, 12:46 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=movie+theater+advertising+cost&btnG=Search

I'm finding a bunch of movie theatre advertising sites, but no rates...

TechnoGuyRob
10-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Oh my gosh!

Finally, tidbits like local advertising can generate revenue for the theater as well. Most theaters have slide projectors with ads that play before the movie begins. An advertising agency charges local businesses about $50 to $100 a month to show their ad, and the movie theater takes half, Edelman said.

Holy crap, do you guys think I could pay for Ron Paul ads out of my pocket?

TechnoGuyRob
10-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Whether you choose slides or video (called rolling stock), the bottom line is that cinema advertising is just plain affordable. You can make a national, regional or local buy. Each theater has multiple screens, and for regional advertisers, for example, the cost per 15-second spot with a minimum buy of four weeks is $25 per screen, per week. So suppose you owned an internet cafe and you chose to advertise at the six-screen theater closest to your location. Your cost would be just $150 per week, not including production. If your internet care had multiple locations, you'd simply add more theaters and screens.

Here's a final tip: For best results, run your spot for eight weeks or more to maximize your reach, since the audience changes with each movie. It's a great, low-cost way to communicate with a high-quality audience, no matter how large or small your market area.

frasu
10-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Well that is a no-brainer... Entertainment always sells better... There is nothing to decide, not too much to think about... And even in the case of movies, the really good ones make much less than "blockbusters"... politics is never or I hope will never turn in entertainment... People don't get pumped as they do for some "action-big-star-die-hard"movie (except the RP fans), and the trailer for this guys is too long... about a year... :)

TechnoGuyRob
10-01-2007, 12:50 PM
https://advertise.orlandosentinel.com/portal/page/portal/Orlando%20Sentinel/Documents/Rates%202007/Retail/MovieTheater.pdf

Awesome!!

JosephTheLibertarian
10-01-2007, 12:51 PM
There are many laws on how money can be raised and how much. This isn't the case with box office movies.

yes.. the good thing, though, is that we can use unlimited amount of money to HELP the campaign, we're just limited on how much we can give the campaign...

specsaregood
10-01-2007, 12:52 PM
A couple of threads you might want to peruse about this idea:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=6440&highlight=movie+theatre
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=12251&highlight=movie+theatre
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=13352&highlight=movie+theatre

winston84
10-01-2007, 01:02 PM
You should look at the marketing budget of a movie, that would explain the disparity.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-01-2007, 01:04 PM
maybe we should make a documentary similar to "WAR ROOM" for RP

McDermit
10-01-2007, 01:05 PM
"When's the next presidential election?" "Uhhh.. 2009?" "2012!" "this year?"

stevedasbach
10-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Most Americans have correctly determined that in most elections, it doesn't really matter who gets elected, so they don't bother contributing and many don't vote.

BillyDkid
10-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Oh my gosh!

Holy crap, do you guys think I could pay for Ron Paul ads out of my pocket?
Yes, I mentioned this before - that we should put ads at the beginning of movies. It sort of went nowhere. Somebody said movie theaters don't run political ads. My feeling is they will run whatever anyone pays them to run.

EvilTwinkie
10-01-2007, 01:36 PM
if someone can just take a vintage chuck norris movie and CGI out Chuck and replace him with Paul, add some new effects and explosions, release it, VOILA 100 million and Paul in the whitehouse.

The masses aint gonna vote, but we can take their money :)

Serious Im about to start thinking about 'stealth' Ron paul fundraisers.

Like a 'Support our troops' carwash with sexy girls in camoflage outfits.
Im not going to tell them 'support our troops' means bringing em home NOW.

Im just gonna take their money, seriously I wonder if this country wants to be saved.

MsDoodahs
10-01-2007, 01:38 PM
politics is not a movie.... people are just giving their money, it's almost a selfless act

Actually, my contributions to the Ron Paul campaign are completely selfish.

;)

Cindy
10-01-2007, 01:52 PM
So you're saying we need to release a "Ron Paul, Hope for America" movie?
Thats one avenue I don't think they have tried in politics before.

I'd pay to see it.

Me too!!!!

libertarian4321
10-01-2007, 03:01 PM

EDIT: http://imdb.com/chart/

Some movie called "Across the Universe," which I've never even heard of, made $2M even a WEEK after its release.

I suspect that 99% of the American public has paid to see a movie at some time.

Probably less than 10% has ever made even a tiny contribution to a political candidate or cause.

Original_Intent
10-01-2007, 03:06 PM
This is the first campaign I have contributed to. And I am not young.

Bob Cochran
10-01-2007, 03:24 PM
This is the first campaign I have contributed to. And I am not young.

Same here.

Cindy
10-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Scary for the whole nation when its put in that persepctive.:(

The reality is, RP is not considered a front runner. Just now on MSNBC they plugged Giuliani, Mitt, McCain, Thompson and Huckabee and the Contenders.

The reality is RP is only showwing 1-4% in gallop polls.

All things considered, I million in one week raised for him IS OUTSTANDING!!:D

It was a huge boost and success for the campaign and show of growing support. Celebrate it for what it is and deserves at this point in the game. :cool:

fletcher
10-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I really don't see your point. Most people would rather pay money for a good or service than give it away. That is obvious. Add to that the fact that 99.9 percent of politicans are lying, corrupt scumbags that want to take your money and rights, and it gets even easier to understand.