PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Rand a RLC Candidate?

dr. hfn
10-17-2009, 09:13 PM

jfriedman
10-17-2009, 09:16 PM
How many votes does the RLC have in Kentucky? Is Kentucky a closed primary and if so, how many RLC members are Republican? Does an RLC endorsement translate to Libertarianism in a close-minded state? Do you do more harm by getting the endorsement, than good?

RandomUser
10-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Never Mind

Flash
10-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Good question. Would it be harmful for Rand to get this endorsement? I'm just wondering.

erowe1
10-18-2009, 10:06 AM
That link hasn't even posted the endorsed candidates for 2010 yet. 2009 is the most recent year. So it would be impossible for him to show up there even if they do endorse him.

Flash
10-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Rand Paul will be speaking with the Republican Liberty Caucus on October 24th.
Source: RandPaul2010.com

LittleLightShining
10-18-2009, 10:23 AM
How many votes does the RLC have in Kentucky? Is Kentucky a closed primary and if so, how many RLC members are Republican? Does an RLC endorsement translate to Libertarianism in a close-minded state? Do you do more harm by getting the endorsement, than good?

From what I understand the RLC is an intra-Republican caucus. There aren't a specific amount of votes attributed to it-- you're either a member or not. All RLC members are Republican. I would say yes, an RLC endorsement does imply a level of libertarianism-- especially on constitutional rights and taxation issues. I ran a state senate campaign for the only person running for legislature last year to get the RLC endorsement. He didn't win but it had nothing to do with that endorsement. I would say most people who are not politically astute have no idea what an RLC endorsement even means.

That said, I think Rand should go after it.

hueylong
10-18-2009, 10:26 AM
The opposition will use Rand's libertarian views as one of the ways to separate him from Republican primary voters on issues like abortion and national defense.

Drawing attention to these things will not help the campaign.

Matt Collins
10-18-2009, 11:50 AM
The opposition will use Rand's libertarian views as one of the ways to separate him from Republican primary voters on issues like abortion and national defense.

Drawing attention to these things will not help the campaign.Sadly this is true. :(

CAKochenash
10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Sadly this is true. :(

I am having a difficult time trying to discover the differences between the RLC's opinion and Rand's.

Matt Collins
10-19-2009, 04:12 PM
I am having a difficult time trying to discover the differences between the RLC's opinion and Rand's.
When I ran for GOP Chair of Nashville earlier this year people saw that I was the Vice Chair of the TN RLC. My opposition used that against me and spread the rumor that I was Vice Chair of the TNLP. Many delegates bought into it because they didn't know better. The word "liberty" confuses the voters in a Republican Primary. Remember, voters are not that tuned in, even the supervoters.

raystone
10-19-2009, 05:15 PM

Drawing attention to these things will not help the campaign.

Rand is prochoice ?

Chieftain1776
10-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Rand is prochoice ?

No, until a pro-life constitutional amendment is ratified Rand supports the Sanctity of Life Act which sends the issue back to the states until a constitutional amendment can be voted on and ratified. http://www.randpaul2010.com/issues/abortion-2/

DaveNalle
10-19-2009, 08:46 PM
The RLC national board has already voted to endorse Rand Paul.

Given his established reputation as a libertarian and his obvious association with his father, the RLC endorsement is extremely unlikely to alienate any GOP voters who aren't already bothered by those things.

If anything, being associated with the RLC which has a reputation which is actually a bit more moderate than his father's will probably be an asset with mainstream Republicans and moderate libertarians.

Dave Nalle
National Chairman
Republican Liberty Caucus

Matt Collins
10-19-2009, 09:05 PM
The RLC national board has already voted to endorse Rand Paul.

Given his established reputation as a libertarian and his obvious association with his father, the RLC endorsement is extremely unlikely to alienate any GOP voters who aren't already bothered by those things.

If anything, being associated with the RLC which has a reputation which is actually a bit more moderate than his father's will probably be an asset with mainstream Republicans and moderate libertarians.

Dave Nalle
National Chairman
Republican Liberty Caucus
Dave, good to meet you.

I'm the VP of the TN RLC and also friends with Mike Church, Aaron Biterman, and Will Pitts.

Given my personal experience I must disagree with your assessment, especially during the primary phase of the campaign. I think Rand being involved/associated with, or attached to the RLC at this point in time will be more detrimental than helpful. Everyone who supports the RLC knows who Rand is anyway. And those that don't can have their opinion easily changed by first hearing about the RLC from the opposition in some sort of FUD campaign. I think it opens Rand up for attack during the primary, even if the attack is un merited and unfounded.

Just my .09 (adjusted for inflation) ;)

So I see this is your first time here. Do you lurk at all?

skyorbit
10-19-2009, 11:10 PM
DUDE The RLC Endorsement can only HELP! This is what we need to envigerate the conservative base of the Republican party so they show up Primary day.

Don't be telling the RLC to not endorse him. Rand will get some good amount of PAC money from various organizations too if he gets this endorsement probably.

RLC Endorsement is very helpful.

TRacy

Matt Collins
10-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Don't be telling the RLC to not endorse him. I never said that.

RLC Endorsement is very helpful.I don't feel it is at this point in time but that's just my opinion.

erowe1
10-20-2009, 07:49 AM
I don't think the RLC ihas the potential to be much of a factor, whether they endorse him or not. Most people have never heard of it. In fact, most Republicans who describe themselves as libertarian leaning have still never heard of it. There are two groups who know anything about it: 1) It's own members, and people who may not be members but are favorable to it from what they know through forums like this; 2) Wonks in the establishment party leadership who make a point to know about anything that could stand to challenge their power.

For those in group 1, the RLC endorsement would help, but not by much, since they almost all would already know about and support Rand. They might look to an RLC endorsement for guidance on lesser known races, but not this one.

For those in group 2, the RLC endorsement would hurt. But they also have already made up their mind about Rand and associate him with the same basic crowd anyway. And the ability for the RLC endorsement to hurt him with anyone would pretty much stop there. It's not like they'll be able to use it as a stigma against him in the minds of ordinary primary voters who had never heard of the RLC before.