PDA

View Full Version : Letter proposing Antiwar Ron Paul Video

Shatterhand
10-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I should have titled this thead, Letter proposing Leaving Iraq Ron Paul Video. Here is a letter/idea I was thinking of sending the campaign:

Revised Letter

Dear Campaign,

Many citizens would support Ron Paul for president except for his plan to withdraw American forces from Iraq. They have developed an emotional bond with Iraq. They don’t want the troops to leave because they think it would be a victory for the enemy. They are very excitable and have bought into the convoluted neocon argument that if we don’t fight them there then we will have to fight them here.

I think Dr. Paul needs to create a five to six minute video where he can talk directly to the American people about the war. This video can have the same feel as the exploratory video. Dr. Paul needs to spell out his objections to the war, how it’s weakening our national defense, how it’s taking away our liberties, how it’s helping destroy the value of the dollar, how it’s aiding our enemy, how it’s hurting the Iraqi people, and perhaps most importantly, how it’s destroying the lives of our servicemen and women.

In addition he can mention the need for secure borders, the need for knowing who is coming in and out of country, and the need to preserve our civil liberties, etc.

But! Dr. Paul needs to find a certain sensitivity in his rhetoric akin to Abraham Lincoln. “With malice toward none, with charity for all,” etc. His supporters already understand the man and what he means. “Just come home,” is a wonderful statement to the supporters. It’s packed with emotion for the Ron Paul enthusiasts, but perhaps those who have bought into the Iraq mess see it differently. Just as Americans must try to put themselves into the shoes of other nations to understand them so must the Paul campaign try to see through the eyes of these pro-war citizens.

A Lincoln-like rhetoric of sensitivity is not pandering, but rather is a reaching out to these citizens with open arms. It might entail saying, “Thank you” to the soldiers and their families or commenting on their sacrifice. Of course I could be wrong and maybe the soldiers would not like to hear such things anymore. But perhaps there is some way to say something, to reach out, to find the better angels of the pro-war citizens’ nature for the sake of the soldiers and the country . . .

Nevertheless, this short five to six minute video speech talking directly to the American people could also be used by the grassroots both as a printed flyer and as something to show people on their laptops.

Best of luck and best wishes,

Me :D

murrayrothbard
10-01-2007, 12:59 PM
What is "Lincoln-style" sensitivity? :confused:

Shatterhand
10-01-2007, 01:35 PM
Shite. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for making me see the confusion. What I meant was using Lincoln-like rhetoric that people might respond to in some sort of emotional way.

"With malice toward none, with charity for all . . ."

Something that might bring people together. But I think I might edit that out of the letter if it sounds stupid or doesn't make sense. :o

Still, from my own experience signwaving and passing out literature, there seems to be very strong opposition to Ron Paul from the pro-war crowd and they seem very emotional about it all. Don't know the best way to bring them around. Thought a video talking directly to the people might help . . . along with rhetoric that can strike something big.

Thanks again for the input. :D

PS. I edited the letter to try to better explain my ideas.

PPS. Does anyone else think that this is important? Dr. P's answers to Iraq kind of remind me of his answer to Darfur. I thought his answer to Darfur came across as somewhat cold. Maybe changing the rhetoric a bit and talking directly to the people might do something.