PDA

View Full Version : Doug Hoffman, Conservative Party?

itshappening
10-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Anyone know anything about him or his party?

polling at 22% in New York congressional election, the Republican is a liberal but interesting to see a viable third party candidate

he even has an ad, no issues though (probably a neocon)

http://www.doughoffmanforcongress.com/

anyone know much about his party ??

Lovecraftian4Paul
10-16-2009, 05:16 PM
That's pretty impressive, especially looking at his meager website. I hope he wins. Chances are good that he's better than the other two.

angelatc
10-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I don't think I like his foreign policy statement.

But that race is very interesting. The woman that the GOP is supporting is a blatant RINO - endorsed by the guy who runs The Daily Kos and Newt Gingrich.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/16/tea-partiers-and-gop-regulars-scuffle-in-ny//print/

Some rank-and-file House Republicans privately say they have written off Mrs. Scozzafava's chances in the Nov. 3 special election.

The members say she is a weak candidate who can't rally the district's conservative voters, echoing complaints of Republican-allied activist groups who complain that the pro-choice Mrs. Scozzafava is more liberal even than her Democratic opponent.

Bear in mind this seat has been held by the GOP since 1871 - they don't even need a center-right candidate to win.

itshappening
10-16-2009, 09:32 PM
the word is this guy could well win. very interesting race.

angelatc
10-16-2009, 09:41 PM
the word is this guy could well win. very interesting race.

I won't even venture a guess. He could split the GOP vote and give the seat to the Dem, but there's nothing to lose, the way I see it She won't even commit to staying Republican after she wins .

Rekonn
10-17-2009, 12:54 AM
I belong to the Club for Growth, and have gotten some emails about the special election and Doug Hoffman. Most of them were about how bad Scozzafava was - she makes Arlen Specter and Olympia Snowe look like fiscal conservatives. You know someone's a real RINO when they get endorsed by unions over a Democrat in the same race! Anyway, below is what CFG sent about Hoffman:

Doug Hoffman opposes the Obama stimulus. He opposes earmarks. He opposes the insane health care takeover now pending in Congress. He has pledged to oppose higher taxes.

Doug Hoffman is not a career politician. He's a successful and well respected entrepreneur who has created jobs and has experienced firsthand the chilling effect big government policies have on business and taxpayers in America. Hoffman's deeply held limited government principles and outrage over the fiscal crisis in Washington compelled him to enter this race. His willingness to go against the establishment is refreshing. He puts principle over party.

bkreigh
10-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Anyone know anything about him or his party?

polling at 22% in New York congressional election, the Republican is a liberal but interesting to see a viable third party candidate

he even has an ad, no issues though (probably a neocon)

http://www.doughoffmanforcongress.com/

anyone know much about his party ??

Just found this article. This is pretty much all i know about him.

http://spectator.org/blog/2009/10/16/ny-23-exclusive-profile-conser

From the article this all i need to know about him.

"Among Hoffman's supporters are Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol,"

risk_reward
10-17-2009, 10:49 AM
This race was profiled in the Wall Street Journal. Basically saying that the Republican party leadership is full of people who want to win and have no other values. The tea party base that the Republicans think they own is really independent. They are fed up and supporting Hoffman.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125564976279388879.html

LittleLightShining
10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I just got a call from someone working for Doug Hoffman's campaign asking me if I can help organize an event for him in Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh is a little far but I'm trying to hook this guy up with some of my media/tea party contacts. I just asked him about Hoffman's foreign policy position but he said he had to go and would call me back in 2 minutes so we shall see.

Interesting...

Brian4Liberty
10-21-2009, 01:45 PM
Any updates?

angelatc
10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
I just got a call from someone working for Doug Hoffman's campaign asking me if I can help organize an event for him in Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh is a little far but I'm trying to hook this guy up with some of my media/tea party contacts. I just asked him about Hoffman's foreign policy position but he said he had to go and would call me back in 2 minutes so we shall see.

Interesting...

That's the issue for me. It's very very cool that people are coming to you for your mad organizational skillz. We're lucky you're one of us.

LittleLightShining
10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Any updates?

That's the issue for me. It's very very cool that people are coming to you for your mad organizational skillz. We're lucky you're one of us.

Well, I hooked him up with my people and he never called me back. I have a feeling the guy's hawkish. His website has absolutely no information.

georgiaboy
10-21-2009, 03:10 PM
c'mon, GOP, wake up and see this for what it is - real people wanting real action to really shrink the federal gov't!

angelatc
10-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, I hooked him up with my people and he never called me back. I have a feeling the guy's hawkish. His website has absolutely no information.

Yes, I checked him out, and all I saw was that he supports the war on terror. My gut says that's a bad sign, for sure.

paulitics
10-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Sean Hannity just endorsed him, while lecturing a caller about how he will only endorse true conservatives. The caller was concerned about the "conservative" media such as Sean giving up their principles to support Rinos. My hunch is this guy is a neocon, and only talks a good game on econmic issues. Hannity would never endorse a RP candidate.

Flash
10-21-2009, 07:47 PM
He will be on Glenn Beck tomorrow.

GLENN: All right. I tell you what, Doug, I'm going to have you on tomorrow. I'll have you on the television show tomorrow and introduce you to people. But not because I necessarily support Doug. He seems like a nice guy. But that's for you to decide. But you'll see tomorrow night on the TV show.

Source: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/196/32205/

georgiaboy
10-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Sean Hannity just endorsed him, while lecturing a caller about how he will only endorse true conservatives. The caller was concerned about the "conservative" media such as Sean giving up their principles to support Rinos. My hunch is this guy is a neocon, and only talks a good game on econmic issues. Hannity would never endorse a RP candidate.

Yeah, sad to say that a Hannity endorsement is now more an obstacle to my supporting a candidate than an assist.

itshappening
10-21-2009, 08:31 PM
I think he is a neocon on foreign policy (sadly) but he's better than the liberal Republican on a lot of issues AND maybe Ron Paul can educate him, he's kind of independent.

He can win this and it's good to see Beck promoting him that will help him a lot.

Rekonn
10-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Did you guys see the Scozzafava's speech today? She decided to give it right outside Hoffman's office!

Photo Op Trainwreck (http://hotair.com/archives/2009/10/21/trainwreck-scozzafava-holds-photo-op-outside-hoffmans-office/)

YouTube - Scozzafava 10.21.09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O62AjSPpDOs)

LittleLightShining
10-22-2009, 09:46 AM
The guy I talked to on the phone the other day is on the radio show right now. I guess he appreciates the contact I gave him.

Ok, this guy, told me he was a Ron Paul Republican on the phone-- not Hoffman, the volunteer guy-- and he's on the radio talking about how much he likes Gingrich :rolleyes: but is disappointed with him and the NRA for endorsing Scozzafava.

angelatc
10-22-2009, 09:42 PM
The guy I talked to on the phone the other day is on the radio show right now. I guess he appreciates the contact I gave him.

Ok, this guy, told me he was a Ron Paul Republican on the phone-- not Hoffman, the volunteer guy-- and he's on the radio talking about how much he likes Gingrich :rolleyes: but is disappointed with him and the NRA for endorsing Scozzafava.

Thats ok. A lot of us used to like Newt. I saw red flags before I woke up, so if this is what it takes to derail another neocon, it's all good. And she's got a good record in gun votes, which is really all the NRA should judge her on.

http://www.votesmart.org/issue_rating_category.php?category=37&go.x=10&go.y=11&can_id=22881&type=category

HOwever, seeing Hannity and Palin endorse him - shudder! Hannity is just pimping, but Palin....she waited to see how everybody else was going to vote. Armey and Bachmann jumped on...only then did Palin commit.

paulitics
10-22-2009, 09:55 PM
Fred Thompson (fake cfr conservative actor) also endorses this guy.

angelatc
10-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Fred Thompson (fake cfr conservative actor) also endorses this guy.

It would be fun to see Ron Paul endorse him, just to watch the confusion.

Todd
10-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Hold the line:

Sarah Palin just endorsed him this morning. :eek:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/10/sarah-palin-republican-conservative.html

LittleLightShining
10-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Thats ok. A lot of us used to like Newt. I saw red flags before I woke up, so if this is what it takes to derail another neocon, it's all good. And she's got a good record in gun votes, which is really all the NRA should judge her on.

http://www.votesmart.org/issue_rating_category.php?category=37&go.x=10&go.y=11&can_id=22881&type=category

HOwever, seeing Hannity and Palin endorse him - shudder! Hannity is just pimping, but Palin....she waited to see how everybody else was going to vote. Armey and Bachmann jumped on...only then did Palin commit.My radio friend is all over this guy. We're gonna hear about Hoffman from now til the election.

Todd
10-23-2009, 10:05 AM
My radio friend is all over this guy. We're gonna hear about Hoffman from now til the election.

With these big names teaming up against the Gingrich candidate, it gives the impression that there is a "sea change" going on in the Republican party with Palin and Thompson leading the charge.

LittleLightShining
10-23-2009, 10:08 AM
With these big names teaming up against the Gingrich candidate, it gives the impression that there is a "sea change" going on in the Republican party with Palin and Thompson leading the charge.
It does.

I'm waiting for the NY GOP to tell Scozzafava to drop out.

Flash
10-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Hold the line:

Sarah Palin just endorsed him this morning. :eek:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/10/sarah-palin-republican-conservative.html

Yeah there were rumors this was going to happen for a while. Nice to see.

paulitics
10-23-2009, 12:38 PM
How is Scozzafava on civil liberties and foreign policy? Perhaps she opposes big government on the other 50% of the issues. The neocons are likely thinking ahead. I have never seen such agreement among neocons unless it is to bomb a country into oblivion.

Flash
10-23-2009, 01:15 PM
How is Scozzafava on civil liberties and foreign policy? Perhaps she opposes big government on the other 50% of the issues. The neocons are likely thinking ahead. I have never seen such agreement among neocons unless it is to bomb a country into oblivion.

Hannity, Levin, Palin, Coulter, & Beck aren't Neo-Cons. They share their foreign policy views with the Neo-Cons but have traditional Conservative views on welfare & immigration.

angelatc
10-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Palin played it pretty safe. She didn't jump on board the Hoffman wagon until several other prominent GOP members were already aboard.

Hannity, Levin, Palin, Coulter, & Beck aren't Neo-Cons. They share their foreign policy views with the Neo-Cons but have traditional Conservative views on welfare & immigration.

Yes, well, ironically, war is pretty much the one issue I won't bend on.

Flash
10-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Palin played it pretty safe. She didn't jump on board the Hoffman wagon until several other prominent GOP members were already aboard.

Yeah I noticed that as well. There's your 'maverick.'

Yes, well, ironically, war is pretty much the one issue I won't bend on.

Good point. I'm just glad they're not a bunch of mini-Kristols.

Cowlesy
10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Just found this article. This is pretty much all i know about him.

http://spectator.org/blog/2009/10/16/ny-23-exclusive-profile-conser

From the article this all i need to know about him.

"Among Hoffman's supporters are Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol,"

Thanks that is all I needed to know.

Brian4Liberty
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks that is all I needed to know.

Oh no, another stealth Kristol candidate. :( No wonder Palin endorsed Hoffman. She's another Kristol puppet.

Flash
10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Oh no, another stealth Kristol candidate. :( No wonder Palin endorsed Hoffman. She's another Kristol puppet.

Either that or Kristol is trying to gain some respect amongst more traditional Conservatives. I'm willing to give Doug Hoffman a chance, he is by far the better candidate in the race.

emazur
10-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Dick Armey endoresed Hoffman:

http://theconservatives.com/personal-liberty/2009/10/22/hoffman-bolstered-by-armey-conservative-blogs.html

Mr. Armey told the Washington Times over the phone, while driving with Mr. Hoffman to campaign events on Thursday, that other national GOP leaders were making a mistake in endorsing "big tent Republicans who act like Democrats."

He said, "A dramatic win [for Hoffman] will be an eye-opener to the national Republican Party and frankly, to the Democrats as well. The Republican Party can win the majority back but only if they consolidate the public's appreciation of them as the party of small government and this is the chance to learn that lesson."

Mr. Armey, who is chairman of FreedomWorks, a chief organizer of the massive 9/12 tea party protests, added the tea parties prove his "big tent" is bigger than the GOP's. "Our big tent is people who like liberty," he said.